Gauges/Engine monitoring - Auber Instruments (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.flickr.com
A while back I started a thread about trying to find alternatives and options for gauge/engine monitoring. The system from Madman was up there on the list but the part I hated was the fact that it only displays one thing at a time. I found an aviation one from MGL, the E-3 unit, which was slick but in essence tiny and not what I needed (well priced though).
In the end I went with Auber Instruments, their brand new SYL-2813, now I am not finished everything yet but I figured I'd post some stuff up. First off, the company service is awesome! I've been harassing them with questions and they have been beyond helpful, to the point of sending me links that fully explain certain sensors in detail and the facts behind the technology. Very quick and helpful, restores faith in customer service.
I certainly learned a bit more since I started this so for anyone thinking of going in that direction I wanted to share it here.
I went with 2 units, one reads EGT and Boost, the other Water temp and Oil pressure. I also went for the light/buzzer warning lights and wanted it all to look pretty so I went with a nice little enclosure (that needed to be modified and get a new face plate) from AutoMeter, their 5287 pod
20140505_134536.jpg
20140504_145337.jpg
20140501_135404.jpg
20140505_134011.jpg

Now this went through several versions before I got to this point and I still have a couple small kinks to work out.

First off I wanted 4 gauges that would give me a reading all at once and didn't want to have the space taken up by large analog ones. I wanted relay outs for alarms in case something went wrong. These guys did that, but there are some issues and it required a bit more work.
Since space is always an issue I wanted only 2 light/buzzers (one per gauge) and not 4 (which is what the system would normally have, one per channel). So I needed to add a relay and some diodes (this I am still working out). It seems to function now, but I need to check if it will work with the alternator running. I went with a small Single Pull Double Throw 10A relay (small) and a 10A 1000V rated diode per channel (I might have to upgrade to bigger amperage rating). 2 relays and 4 diodes in total. I also threw in a couple switches as a manual override to shut off the buzzer. Now with this setup it still allows to use the alarm terminal outputs independently because the diodes separate and stop the voltage from feeding back on the other leg. All this was done so that I can do this:
If the water temp alarm goes off the gauge will trigger the electric fan to kick up into higher gear (running a Hayden dial speed fan with a Hayden dual speed controller). If the oil pressure drops too low the gauge will trigger the engine kill relay (fuel cut off). The only problem I learned about is that the Auber gauge does not have a time delay on their alarms (they are looking into doing that after I talked to them). This is an issue when the engine is first fired up and the pressure hasn't built up yet. I'm trying to figure out a way around that still (which might involve an extra switch).

The rest of the wiring is pretty much as per the manual (I'll post up pics tomorrow), except for the EGT. As I found out (only after making a nice wire harness) the EGT thermocouple requires special wire if you are going to extend the leads. This is because of how thermocouples work (I just learned this thanks to Auber), for those interested, here you go:
http://www.pyromation.com/Downloads/Doc/Training_TC_Theory.pdf
http://www.control.com/thread/1341643289

Auber of course sells the wire by the foot if you want. Since I did not know this I used regular wire and the reading appears to be off by 30-50*F at low temps and not sure how much at higher temps. I will be replacing that soon.

This system is not a plug and play system, but it is very nice. When everything was said and done, not including some minor screw ups it cost me :
2 x Flashing Buzzer, 12 V DC/AC. 16 mm (FLBuz-12) = $16.44
1 x 3 Bar, 48 PSI, Boost Sensor for Diesel Engine (AUBER-303) = $42.76
1 x Oil/Water Temperature Sensor, High Precision (PT100A-NPT) = $27.50
1 x EGT Probe, Exposed Tip (TC-KEGT) = $36.50
Mounting Type Option Weld-in carbon
2 x Automobile Multimeter, Dual Channel (SYL-2813) = $159.90
1 x 7 Bar (100 PSI) Fuel/oil Pressure Sender, 1/8 NPT. (AUBER-P207) =
$55.63
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $338.73
Sales Tax: $0.00
FedEx (Ground Home Delivery): $16.38
Total: $355.11

Plus $12.50 for Thermocouple wire
Plus $5.00 for relays and
plus $3.50 for diodes (bought some extras)
Wire, loom and ferrules (for connectors) I already had.

The enclosure was under $100 on ebay

Some soldering, wire splicing and it's almost done.
I'll post up some more detailed shots soon.

Last edited:
Each unit requires a bit of programming to set the type of sensor you are using on which channel, then it requires to program the alarm values and when you want it to go off. All that is easy to do with the little buttons on the front of the unit.

Now all the sensors and the harness had to get spliced, some due to length, but mainly due to ease of service. So I decided to find some nice, weatherproof connectors. I chose the common Pico Weatehrpack ones, and regret it. The pins on the male fittings don't line up that well and it makes plugging them in a royal pain in the butt (as you can see in the image)
20140502_134148.jpg

I was interested in what you would end up with Fantom.... looks the goods from what you've said..... one question, do the readouts have adjustable brightness from factory so it's not too bright at night.... I'll think of more questions as others comment no doubt... thnx

yes there are two ways of controlling that, one is manually, which requires entering the menu, finding the parameter and turning it up/down. The other is connecting your dash lights to a terminal, and it auto dims.

Great writeup, thanks for being so detailed! I'm likely going the same route when I get around to my gauges. Can you order them with whatever color readouts you want, or are they all red/green?

Just FYI, I'm not sure it will make a difference but you have the pins in the wrong sides of the weatherpack connectors. The "male" pins go in the "female" connector bodies and vice versa. I haven't had any alignment issues with mine. Should be easy to rectify if you have the pin removal tool.

Great writeup, thanks for being so detailed! I'm likely going the same route when I get around to my gauges. Can you order them with whatever color readouts you want, or are they all red/green?

There are more colour options available now - details are on the Auber website.

no worries, figured since I went through all the sorting and figuring I might as well share it ;)
from what I see on the site you can now order it in different colors, when I got mine it was brand new and only available in the setup I got.

Those gauges are easily obtainable at other sources for less. I don't like them as they are more a PID controller than a gauge. To big and clumsy.
How responsive/fast are the egt display? Have had trouble with slow clock cycle digital egt readers before not peaking up and displaying peek values.

Small digital timer relays are cheap and plentyfull on ebay. Use it on the signal wire connected to 5v under the delay period switching over to sensor wire under normal driving circumstances :)

don't know how fast the egt is yet, had some issues with the engine build. Yes, you could build something for less in parts, different displays, etc and even relay outs. but for $80 per dual gauge, for me, this can't be beat for options/versatility and ease of install. Of course it's not for everyone. Have you found other options (that don't require a degree in electronics engineering)? Care to post up details?

Lasse please give us all the info you have so we can benefit from your inside knowledge..... And are the ones you know of as good, better and or cheaper.... I definitely want to go down the digital path....

I would be very surprised if this was true. Please provide a source.

don't know how fast the egt is yet, had some issues with the engine build. Yes, you could build something for less in parts, different displays, etc and even relay outs. but for $80 per dual gauge, for me, this can't be beat for options/versatility and ease of install. Of course it's not for everyone. Have you found other options (that don't require a degree in electronics engineering)? Care to post up details?

Lasse please give us all the info you have so we can benefit from your inside knowledge..... And are the ones you know of as good, better and or cheaper.... I definitely want to go down the digital path....

And the silence was deafening..............

Those gauges are easily obtainable at other sources for less. I don't like them as they are more a PID controller than a gauge. To big and clumsy.
How responsive/fast are the egt display? Have had trouble with slow clock cycle digital egt readers before not peaking up and displaying peek values.
Small digital timer relays are cheap and plentyfull on ebay. Use it on the signal wire connected to 5v under the delay period switching over to sensor wire under normal driving circumstances :)

It's fast enough. Displays even peak values just fine...

I am currently a bit busy with my finals exams that are going no where but downhill. That's why I haven't replied yet as I have prioritised my exams first.

Do a search on aliexpress.com for PID controller and you see them from as low as 15$. When you bye things on aliexpress you buy directly from the fabricators in many instances and if you ask them they are often willing to provide you with a custom product based on your need and application.
Of course aliexpress are nowhere to look for products if you "support" local merchants who buy cheap Chinese stuff them self and sell it on, many times for 10x the price.

I have not used PID controllers myself as I don't like them, but I have experience with other digital gauges. I would say go for digital they are fine and very easy to wire up as you don't need the pressure hoses and so on into the cab. But I myself prefer analog representation of the digital signal. It is much easier to look at and led segment displays like those on the PID controller are hard to see in the sun or bright day without some kind of sunshade cap over it. Many of them are slow not showing peak values, this is especially true on boost and egt as those can spike fast. They can also be to fast so that you can't make any thing out of the display. Lets say the readout are showed 100 times each second ...

What I say here comes from personal experience trying out some different digital gauges myself.

If I where to recommend gauges to some one, don't buy the cheapest Chinese crap, they work fine in the beginning, but soon deteriorates but you don't have to buy the most expensive either, use some common sense and on many well known brands you pay a way high premium just for the brand name. I have had both from each world ....

The route I will go down on my new HJ61 when I get the time will be to install a good 7-10" LCD or maybe even OLED touch display that are bright and easy to read under sunlight condition connected to an ARM board. I will run android on it, design and make my own digital sensor for all the parameters I wan't to monitor. It will me much like a virtual dash but showing charge air temperature, boost, egt, turbo efficiency, oil pressure and so on. I would not recommend doing this unless you have experience with 5v digital logic and electronic and some programming skill.

Hope this answers some of your questions. Happy to answer more in due time if there are any more I might be able to answer.

Regards.

Lasse,

I'd be interested to learn more about the system you are building for your truck. Will you do a build thread on it when you start? If love to follow it as it would be perfect for one of my trucks.

I have no plans on making a build thread.
But when I will build it I can share some pictures with you if you want to and remind me to do so :)
I wouldn't anticipate me to start on it any time soon doh :/

I've had some issues with the engine, it's been running already so I had a chance to test a few things. The water temp and oil pressure are accurate and quick. The alarms work well and trigger relays, it would be really nice to have a delay on the alarms though (for an engine kill on low oil). I'm waiting tohear back from Auber if their engineering os going to do that. Should just be a matter of programming that feature in. The EGT is working, not sure how well yet and I have not replaced my spliced in cable with the proper thermal cable. - very important - use only proper Thermocouple wiring to extend the sensor (not what I did ;) )
And of course no clue about boost since the truck hasn't moved. Also the light/buzzer from Auber rocks! just enough to get your attention. So far so good. Going to be away for a week so hopefully the next update will be when the truck is running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom