Builds The Mongrel: FJ62 body + FZJ80 chassis + turbo diesel + ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That shock tower is not going to work on the other side unless you change steering boxes. There is only 1/2" from the back of the factory shock tower to the steering shaft, you will not be able to set the tower on the frame like you have it. Call me if you want.

I thought you said you were?

Nah, never have planned to use one. Don't even have a 80 steering box, only have an FJ62 one. I will be using a Saginaw box.

Cheers

Making progress....

10304780_528255087286236_3398714466351937169_n.jpg

10295672_528255207286224_2223178704395670184_n.jpg

10152600_528255300619548_9124428506452105599_n.jpg

How you like my 3-link!? :hillbilly:

10366163_528255330619545_3029675313626980571_n.jpg

Cheers

Hi Ian

Man,not sure how I missed this tread before.

But having read it I was wondering why you want to use the 80 frame vs the 60 frame?

It seems like a lot of work to cut everything of and having a bare frame that does not fit anything right out of the box no?

Btw thinking of a similar project and looking for a FJ60/62 donor to put the complete Nissan Patrol RD28T drivetrain in from a 95 Patrol GR ;)

Haven't forgotten about the IP for you but my Euro contacts keep on promising they will go after it.....might be when I go back there ;)

Hi Ian

Man,not sure how I missed this tread before.

But having read it I was wondering why you want to use the 80 frame vs the 60 frame?

It seems like a lot of work to cut everything of and having a bare frame that does not fit anything right out of the box no?

Btw thinking of a similar project and looking for a FJ60/62 donor to put the complete Nissan Patrol RD28T drivetrain in from a 95 Patrol GR ;)

Haven't forgotten about the IP for you but my Euro contacts keep on promising they will go after it.....might be when I go back there ;)

The more I work on it the more I wonder myself. But, the 80 frame is much better than the 60. Overall just much better made and more buff. Plus I plan to use the rear suspension off the 80, modifying it a bit but want to retain as much of it as possible. I spent 3hrs cutting on the front coil/shock tower in front and motor mounts this after noon. Geezus they glued these on well!! Nearly there though and down to just flap disc work.

I still want the SD33T injection pump. Let me know, I am counting on you man! :p

Cheers

Ditch the 80 frame and stick with the 60 frame. I'll take that 80 frame off your hands...

As far as you thinking about a diesel or a v8-I guess it depends what your gonna use the truck for. If its primarily commuting and light off road, then I would do a diesel. If its offroad primarily, I would do a v8 for the lighter weight and quicker throttle response. Also if your going to use it more for offroad I would seriously think about bobbing it. I like the idea of using bushings too, or maybe johnny joints. I would stick with the portals, but with their super low gearing, its gonna kill highway mileage with a diesel, even if you have overdrive. Unless you run 44s or 48s for tires.

Last edited:
As far as you thinking about a diesel or a v8-I guess it depends what your gonna use the truck for. If its primarily commuting and light off road, then I would do a diesel. If its offroad primarily, I would do a v8 for the lighter weight and quicker throttle response. Also if your going to use it more for offroad I would seriously think about bobbing it. I like the idea of using bushings too, or maybe johnny joints. I would stick with the portals, but with their super low gearing, its gonna kill highway mileage with a diesel, even if you have overdrive. Unless you run 44s or 48s for tires.

It is getting the diesel regardless.

The truck will be used for trips, long and short trips. Trips to go surfing and trips to go wheeling. Not bobbing it, want my interior space for camping purposes.

I found some 9" gears that can get me down to 4.8ish. That is doable for the HWY. I don't see a problem being able to cruise down the HWY, I may not be going 80mph but 65-70mph shouldn't be a prob at all.

This truck is not meant for the rocks beyond some light stuff. To nice of a body on the 62 and I have no desire to destroy it. It is meant to drive to the trail though and be driven home. I have had a trailer queen or two and that is not the direction I am going with this one.

Cheers

Been moving into the new shop this last week. Actually been cleaning up the big s***ty mess left by the guys who just moved out. Building shelves and benches too. Got the Mongrel chassis moved in yesterday though so progress! Slowly but surely things are happening.

Cheers

I took the plunge yesterday and bought an NOS FJ62 dash pad for this project. Not a cap or anything like that, the actual NOS pad. Damn it that hurt to buy, I am embarrassed to say what I paid! I have been planning on buying one for awhile but kept putting it off and putting it off. Now they are NLA so I figured if I wanted an NOS one I better snatch up one of the last few out there even if it was anal-rapage on price. Bottom line, I wanted an NOS cap and so I bought one. The one I have is super trashed, no windshield in the truck for years has left it seriously wasted. I been looking for a nice clean used 62 pad for several years and always miss out. So I said f'-it took the plunge and shelled out for an NOS pad. I also bought an NOS windshield gasket for the truck. I almost bought a bunch of other body rubber but everything I have is in really good shape. So holding out on that stuff a while longer, hopefully the NOS stock doesn't dry up any time real soon!

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom