Front door rust from the inside out. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to find out how many FJ Cruiser owners are having inside out door rust issuers over here. I found five others with this issue on "the blue room". I have rust coming up right smack in the middle of my drivers door. With some investigation I found that the rust is behind the "sound mat" inside the door. This is due to poor metal prep(if any at all). The sound mat acts like a sponge, retaining moisture from washing the car or driving in the rain. Rust starts from inside the door and bubbles the paint on the outside of the door. This is a manufactures defect that the very DISHONORABLE Toyota car company says is not their problem. They say that because I have not been a "loyal Toyota service customer" that I am on my own with this issue. Crown Toyota, the dealer I bought the rig from, says they don't have me in the system. I told them that I BOUGHT the FJ from them AND it HAS been brought in for a few minor services.( during witch time they left the oil filler cap off. Oil all over the engine bay was enough for me to start doing my own minor services). Now, I live in the Inland Empire of So. Cal. Not exactly the snow capital of the nation, so the car is not driven on salted roads. The rig has not even spent the night at the beach, we live about 50 miles from the beach, so no salt air. The FJ is garaged when not in use. There is NO reason for rust except bad metal prep before gluing a sponge to the inside of the door. Again, doing this post to see how many OTHER are having this issue. I have reported this to NHSA due to the door being a structional part of the body during a crash. It has also been reported to a national consumer administration. If you are having this issue POST UP!!!
Thank you....... Wrigman

I've had mine since new, Jan/07 build ... no rust ... no fender bulges ... but did have the 3rd member issue ... hope you have better luck with Toyota than i did with my rear diff (it was one month out of warranty) ...

Good luck, 5 out of # of members in FJCForums, really?:cool:

Sounds like you have an issue with your local dealer. I can't imagine any reasonable dealer not taking care of this. It should be a relatively easy issue to "prove". Push it as far as you feel you need to in order to get resolution. Yet, only finding 5 out of the massive numbers in FJCF doesn't speak to a large manufacturing issue, maybe time will tell.

Sorry to hear of your issues, I had none with mine over the 6+ years I owned mine.

Can you snap a picture or two?

Count me in as another owner with this problem. I have a 2011 FJ, and the inside of the driver door has bubbling rust all along the top. I have yet to go to my dealer, but was googling this first to see if there are others out there with this problem. Has there been any further info on this?

Count me in as another owner with this problem. I have a 2011 FJ, and the inside of the driver door has bubbling rust all along the top. I have yet to go to my dealer, but was googling this first to see if there are others out there with this problem. Has there been any further info on this?

Pics?

I know toyota just lost a class action lawsuit about rust on 05-10 tacomas. I wonder if the FJ will be next?

I know toyota just lost a class action lawsuit about rust on 05-10 tacomas. I wonder if the FJ will be next?
Have had my FJ new since July of 2006, not a bit of rust on it, and it rains a lot here in the PNW.

I'm trying to find out how many FJ Cruiser owners are having inside out door rust issuers over here. I found five others with this issue on "the blue room". I have rust coming up right smack in the middle of my drivers door. With some investigation I found that the rust is behind the "sound mat" inside the door. This is due to poor metal prep(if any at all). The sound mat acts like a sponge, retaining moisture from washing the car or driving in the rain. Rust starts from inside the door and bubbles the paint on the outside of the door. This is a manufactures defect that the very DISHONORABLE Toyota car company says is not their problem. They say that because I have not been a "loyal Toyota service customer" that I am on my own with this issue. Crown Toyota, the dealer I bought the rig from, says they don't have me in the system. I told them that I BOUGHT the FJ from them AND it HAS been brought in for a few minor services.( during witch time they left the oil filler cap off. Oil all over the engine bay was enough for me to start doing my own minor services). Now, I live in the Inland Empire of So. Cal. Not exactly the snow capital of the nation, so the car is not driven on salted roads. The rig has not even spent the night at the beach, we live about 50 miles from the beach, so no salt air. The FJ is garaged when not in use. There is NO reason for rust except bad metal prep before gluing a sponge to the inside of the door. Again, doing this post to see how many OTHER are having this issue. I have reported this to NHSA due to the door being a structional part of the body during a crash. It has also been reported to a national consumer administration. If you are having this issue POST UP!!!
Thank you....... Wrigman
I too have driver door rust. Neighbor on next street over has the same. I took it to the dealer I bought and have some services from. Due to age and mileage Toyota would not repair. So I took it to the guy at my work who does paint and minor body work. he sanded and took it down to the metal. It came back in three months. He is recommending to have the skin replaced.

I too have driver door rust. Neighbor on next street over has the same. I took it to the dealer I bought and have some services from. Due to age and mileage Toyota would not repair. So I took it to the guy at my work who does paint and minor body work. he sanded and took it down to the metal. It came back in three months. He is recommending to have the skin replaced.
Does anyone have the ability to post pictures? Mine is an 08 I bought new, zero rust but would like to know exactly where this occurred.

Same as @Corey , June of 06.
My only rust is where , "somehow a rock scraped off a little paint ".:meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom