How many shackels do i need? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am putting together some basic recovery gear. I figure i need some shackles, a snatch strap and a tree saver for my winch. Also i keep gloves in the truck and blankets for the winch line. But how many shackles do i need to get? Do i just need two or should i really have one on each of my four recovery points? Is there any value to the nicer powder coated ones other than looks? Should I just get the cheapest (from a good off road vender) ones i can find or do the nicer ones hold up or screw together any nicer? I can imagine that something in a bright color might be easier to find if you drop it in the mud. But a can of neon orange spray paint would accomplish that. On a side not i see a lot of people driving around town with shackles on their bumpers/recovery points. Is this fine or is it kind of a poser thing to do? I kind of like them on the truck but dont need to do anything to make myself look anymore like a novice then i already am. ;) Sorry for the newbe question.

I have one installed in my bumper recovery point of each Cruiser .. actually hold by winch line and hook. also have a couple more ( different sizes ) in my recovery gear bag ..

Most of 'em are old warn units ( like 10 years old ) but have 2 ( the ones on bumpers ) that are relative new from X vendor. All looks the same to me, but had to be honest and tell I trust in the old warn ones when a heavy job it's required ..

I have 2 and keep them in the case with the winch controller and snatch block.

Get rated shackles, 3 will be enough. I avoid Chinese shackles on principle.

Keep them inside the truck so they are clean and at hand when you need them.

Paint them a distinctive odd color. Then you know which ones are yours, and it's easy to get them back.

Yeah...3 or 4 will do. Assuming your trail buddies bring their own ;)

I learned from a tow driver that you tighten, then back off a 1/4 to a 1/2 turn so it doesn't bind when removing.

My recovery kit
4 Shackles 2 large and 1 small and 1 extra large and one attached to the winch cable
2 S-hooks
1 20m winch extension strap
1 10m winch extention strap
1 50m wire winch extension cable
2 tree straps (one 5m and one 3m) - you never know when one will break or you have to tow or strap yoursenlf to another anchor vehicle our record is 5 vehicles anchored to hold the winch truck
1 50m PLASMA winch extension rope
1 pair of welding gloves - sitting on the dash
tree strap and s-hook and shackle attached sit under the front passenger seat
1 spare 11mm 50m wire rope ready to attach strapped behind the rear passenger seats to the cargo barrier.
1 spare 8mm 50m wire rope ready to attach strapped behind the rear passenger seats to the cargo barrier.
in the WARN winch vehicles a spare Albright 12V Controller and a spare 6HP Motor from WARN or Bow.

new 11mm Rope being purchased this week 220' to be hooked up to my RED truck God winch
new 8mm Rope being purchased this week 150' for the Blue trucks WARN 8274
new 11mm Rope being purchased this week 180' for the Volvo for the pTO
new 11mm Rope being purchased this week 100' for the Volvo for the WARN M1200

No matter how many you have it seems that you always need one more.

^^^

I have four good ones (2 attached on each bumper) and 2 other cheaper ones.

I was recently stuck and all four were buried under ice/water. Of course I was going to have freeze my hands to get ropes attached to the back two.

However, there was no way I was going to wade in the ice/water (almost 3 feet) to get the shackles from the front bumper to attach to the other side of the rope...

So, against my better judgement I used a "cheaper" one to attach to the snatch block...nothing bad happened however I didn't like the feeling I was having when it was getting yanked.

I am going to buy at least 1 more or else take them off my bumper and keep them in the truck....

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1396800355.001967.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1396800386.337757.jpg

U can see a small amount of red in the second pic....those are the front shackles that I wasn't about to get....

...via IH8MUD app

My recovery kit
4 Shackles 2 large and 1 small and 1 extra large and one attached to the winch cable
2 S-hooks
1 20m winch extension strap
1 10m winch extention strap
1 50m wire winch extension cable
2 tree straps (one 5m and one 3m) - you never know when one will break or you have to tow or strap yoursenlf to another anchor vehicle our record is 5 vehicles anchored to hold the winch truck
1 50m PLASMA winch extension rope
1 pair of welding gloves - sitting on the dash
tree strap and s-hook and shackle attached sit under the front passenger seat
1 spare 11mm 50m wire rope ready to attach strapped behind the rear passenger seats to the cargo barrier.
1 spare 8mm 50m wire rope ready to attach strapped behind the rear passenger seats to the cargo barrier.
in the WARN winch vehicles a spare Albright 12V Controller and a spare 6HP Motor from WARN or Bow.

new 11mm Rope being purchased this week 220' to be hooked up to my RED truck God winch
new 8mm Rope being purchased this week 150' for the Blue trucks WARN 8274
new 11mm Rope being purchased this week 180' for the Volvo for the pTO
new 11mm Rope being purchased this week 100' for the Volvo for the WARN M1200

So long story short.....u r recommending 4 shackles ;)

...via IH8MUD app

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom