Troubleshooting help...pop while turning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bighead

Veteran of the Psychic Wars
Threads
Need a bit of help here. I am trying to troubleshoot a noise that has popped up recently.

It is happening during a hard right turn...pretty much when the steering is at max. It has happened to me when there is a slight elevation change. The right side of the truck is a little higher during the turn in the video below because my driveway has a good slope to it...there were similar conditions at the spot it happened to me away from home. This was noticed initially by me wife when she was pulling out of a spot in a parking garage. That place a has a decent slope to it also.

During normal driving everything appears normal.

Can't get up to Christo's shop until the end of the month so am looking for some help on particular places to look.

sounds like a cv joint going bad. are your cv boots all intact?

sounds like a cv joint going bad. are your cv boots all intact?

Yes. All boots look intact..no holes or tears.

Is it just one pop or will it keep going if you keep turning?

Turning in a tight circle is something I haven't done yet. To be honest I was afraid of doing more damage to whatever is causing the noise before I can get the guys at Slee to take a look at it.

I looked at the endlinks (which looked fine) but not the swaybar mounts. I'll take a look in the morning.

I was thinking it could be scraping but man that sounds different now that Ive watched the video a couple of times.. I was thinking CV joint as well maybe but not sure...

I had a similar noise. Turned out to be my belly plate of my skids. Had to do with frame flex..... Are you running Slee or BOIR skids?

Unless you pull the rubber bumpers off the anti-sway bar risers you can't inspect the metal strut/riser for wear. I seem to only get about 2 years out of mine...also check the frame mounted brackets that hold the ASB bushings...

Doesn't really sound like a loose or broken shock...but easy and worthy to check them too.

Make sure the front diff mount bolts are tight...

Check ball joints for wear.

I had a similar noise. Turned out to be my belly plate of my skids. Had to do with frame flex..... Are you running Slee or BOIR skids?

Didn't think of this one...I do have the Slee skid plate combo. They have been on there for a couple of years and haven't made any noise and I haven't had any good shots on it recently but I'll give it a good look.

Unless you pull the rubber bumpers off the anti-sway bar risers you can't inspect the metal strut/riser for wear. I seem to only get about 2 years out of mine...also check the frame mounted brackets that hold the ASB bushings...

Doesn't really sound like a loose or broken shock...but easy and worthy to check them too.

Make sure the front diff mount bolts are tight...

Check ball joints for wear.

Thanks for the input guys.

I had a popping noise that turned out to be the rear links. The bolts loosened over time and would allow the arm to shift slightly causing the bolt to bounce around. There are a zillion things that can make noise under these trucks. I find myself chasing down new ones each weekend. Good luck.

Nick brings up a good point...I had similar popping noises when I ran non-OEM rear UCA bushings. So if they're aftermarket, Johny Joint, etc. they might have play in them. But even with my worn OEM rear control arm bushings they didn't pop/make noise (but did exhibit very strange front steer like symptoms under WOT).

I have Slee coils and shocks in the rear but still have the OEM rear control arms. I'll take a look at those today. Had the same problem when I ran Rubicon Express joints in the lower control arms on my old 4Runner.

I'll be getting under the LC today to look around.

Last edited:
I just watched the video that was posted. It seems to be coming from the rear suspension. That sound is awfully familiar of a spring shifting in the coil bucket. My guess is the spring is rotated and is shifting slightly when there is weight transfer. That is too loud for a shock mount, there isn't enough speed or weight transfer to ram the shock mount and make that sound. I'm betting rear coil right now.

I experienced a similar problem in my Gen1 Sequoia. I tightened down every bolt in the rear and it went away, so it is probably related to the control arms or track bar.

I didn't see anything obviously wrong up front. Swaybar brackets and bushings looked okay; endlinks good (probably need to replace bushings soon); lower shock mounts appeared secure (not obviously loose but didn't pull out a torque wrench); nothing visually wrong with axles (tears/holes/grease); all skidplate mounting points appear to be secure.

The rear control arms (both upper and lower) appeared okay with bushings looking intact. The one thing I did notice after reading 2000UZJ's post is that the Passenger Side coil isn't seated against the stop on the lower mount. Doesn't seem like it's off that much (pics attached). Any thoughts?

Driver's Side:

DS.jpg

Passenger Side:

PS.jpg

Need a bit of help here. I am trying to troubleshoot a noise that has popped up recently.

It is happening during a hard right turn...pretty much when the steering is at max. It has happened to me when there is a slight elevation change. The right side of the truck is a little higher during the turn in the video below because my driveway has a good slope to it...there were similar conditions at the spot it happened to me away from home. This was noticed initially by me wife when she was pulling out of a spot in a parking garage. That place a has a decent slope to it also.

During normal driving everything appears normal.

Can't get up to Christo's shop until the end of the month so am looking for some help on particular places to look.

Does it sound that bad from inside? I'm hearing popping too when turn left, but it doesn't seem as loud.

Rotate the driver side spring. That is the only thing I see that could cause a pop sound. Any weight transfer on that spring will cause it to shift or pop. Since it can't rotate due to the weight, the edge of the coil may be rubbing. Total speculation, but springs shifting make a loud pop similar to your video.

See video (grabbed link from mobile YouTube). You can hear the spring popping quite badly. Similar sound to yours, just much worse.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom