Builds What's a Parts Guy to Do?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OGBeno

23303-56040
GOLD Star
Threads
Well, I'm at a crossroads.

Here is my situation and I would like to get some other voices to join the ones in my head (as well as ones named Robbie, Cruiserdrew, Steve, etc.).

Head is off, block is what it is (in very good shape for a 260k bottom end), head going to machine shop Monday for a real rebuild (new OEM springs, valves, new seats, new valve seals, shave a bit off the bottom, true the intake/exhaust side, clean the intake and exhausts, and true them up too).

I have the follow new and sitting in front of my face: New oil pump, new oil cooler, new camshaft, new lifters, new pushrods, new oil pan, new OEM engine kit, new timing gear, new camshaft gear, new rocker arms, new rocker shaft, new crankshaft, new 1.5 over pistons that have been cryoed, new rings, new camshaft bearings, new con bearings, new cons, new head bolts, new main bearings.... New H55, shifter, tranny mount, new PS pump and pulley, new timing cover, new fuel pump, new alternator/regulator, etc. You get the picture.

Does seem logical for me to go all the way at this point? Do and forget about it sort of deal?

Maybe some pics will help....

:)

What say the MUD (Greek) chorus?

All that's left now is time and money... :lol:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1395005675.759319.jpg ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1395005692.141943.jpg ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1395005711.641332.jpg ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1395005722.027828.jpg ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1395005733.380054.jpg ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1395005979.141159.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1395005675.759319.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1395005692.141943.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1395005711.641332.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1395005722.027828.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1395005733.380054.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1395005979.141159.jpg

You got the parts. Knock it out man!

And post more photos along the way.

:beer:

Pull the trigger on everything you can while it's opened up. Remove as much redundant labor as you can. You have the inventory of parts for a purpose...send them to their home, no other reason to be holding on to them unless saving them for a different project.

What are the other options you are considering? To me it looks like you're about half-way there! I mean, after rebuild it will still be a 2F motor with 125hp and 200 lbs/ft of torque. That being said, it will still be a 2F motor freshly rebuilt and nicely built at that!

I think you're just getting cold feet like right before a date! You need a big glass of red wine to help you relax. :)

And some more pics....

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1395006581.041260.jpg ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1395006598.851493.jpg

Fact of the matter is, I'd like to just pull the trigger and do everything and not worry about anything for 300k miles... Ie: When I am 60 yrs old. :lol:

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1395006581.041260.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1395006598.851493.jpg

What are the other options you are considering? To me it looks like you're about half-way there! I mean, after rebuild it will still be a 2F motor with 125hp and 200 lbs/ft of torque. That being said, it will still be a 2F motor freshly rebuilt and nicely built at that!

I think you're just getting cold feet like right before a date! You need a big glass of red wine to help you relax. :)

What other options? Do the head and drop back on the block. Other than that, there is no way a non-Toyota engine is going into my frame and Toyota diesel, while cool and interesting, I have absolutely no interest in an oil burner.

What other options? Do the head and drop back on the block. Other than that, there is no way a non-Toyota engine is going into my frame and Toyota diesel, while cool and interesting, I have absolutely no interest in an oil burner.

I say build it.. I have a '85 2F with 110k in the shop right now.. Never threw it out because I know in the back of my head I want to rebuild and put in a build one day...

Forget the second guessing... get to wrenching O...

J

Hi, Great to work for Toyota when you need parts for your own cruiser. Id probably do all but the gears , I have never seen any worn out myself. Mike

Drop a 350 in it'll be rad!!!

Kidding aside, I plan to do this with a low mileage 3FE I sourced locally with less then 200K on it. At this point I decided not to put anything in my truck that isn't new or rebuilt properly.

Go for it, if anyone has it as easy as can be it's you.

Dang Beno, you must have given up a couple of paycheques for those parts :)
I wouldn't hesitate, you'll pretty much have a factory new 2F last will (should) last your lifetime

What I am having issues with is the fact that the bottom end is probably fine. Do i screw with it or keep what I have for posterity?

Both Robbie (of toyota trails fame) and Cruiserdrew (Andy) are saying do it and don't look back.

Fact is, not worrying about an engine for 300k miles is tempting.

The notion of time and physical investment is daunting though..... I'm not 25 yrs old anymore. 40 yrs old and the body starts giving indications of neglect and horizonal futures..... :lol:

Thanks for the feedback folks.

What I am having issues with is the fact that the bottom end is probably fine. Do i screw with it or keep what I have for posterity?

Both Robbie (of toyota trails fame) and Cruiserdrew (Andy) are saying do it and don't look back.

Fact is, not worrying about an engine for 300k miles is tempting.

The notion of time and physical investment is daunting though..... I'm not 25 yrs old anymore. 40 yrs old and the body starts giving indications of neglect and horizonal futures..... :lol:

Thanks for the feedback folks.

Whats a few more days in the shop to work the bottom end, few hundred bucks with your great YOTA discount and as far as the pain and suffering... rub some dirt on it and get back in the game... WRENCH ON!

:beer::beer:

J

Do it, you can always start another frame off of another rig and have a nice engine to put in it down the road.

Without question go all the way.
:beer:

exactly...
2x this. I am way past 60, but if I were in your shoes I would go the whole 9 yards. You have the inventory, you have the opportunity, you have the chance to start wheeling with a totally fresh engine, so just go and do it. Have fun with it and enjoy it for a long, long time. John

do you have a good machine shop down there that has worked on f motors? if so what are you waiting on

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom