Damn.....I bought a lemon..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been chasing down this whine for days, months even. I replaced or rebuilt everything being turned by my drive belt. From wobbly harmonic balancers to a fan clutch with hairline cracks to a fan bracket with shot bearings. Still this B:censor:H feels the need to whine. If you read my past posts you will see that my introduction to this forum was one of frustration and willingness to learn. Definitely not the proud papa introduction that I've grown quite jealous of.

Last night I replaced the very last part to replace on my drive belt, the fan bracket. She quieted down significantly, but I still had this noise, a damn ghost noise. I threw down my tools and stormed off to the refrigerator where a cold 12 pack of beer was waiting to cheer me up.

I woke up this morning with a renewed feeling of curiosity and decided to check the oil cap, which I've done on a weekly basis(I always expect the worse). Maybe I should've made a post in the past about my rig idling ever so slightly rougher than it should. Maybe I should've posted about the little puddle of water from the exhaust during warm up. I'm not sure. All I know is, this morning when I pulled the oil cap off to feed my weekly paranoia, what I found is kinda what I have been expecting to see. :worms: Self fulfilling prophesy? Mumbo jumbo.

I haven't been overheating(yet). I'm not blowing blue smoke(that I've noticed). Whatever is happening(blown head gasket) I feel I have caught relatively early. So, unfortunately, Im becoming a mechanic. Forced into a life of slavery. :bang:My car owns me. If/when I see this through, I will NEVER get rid of this vehicle. We are married now.

Here's a pic of my wonderful morning. Please all, share your thoughts no matter how ominous. Could this be anything else besides what we all know it probably is?!
Thank you kind sirs.

image.jpg

I'd do an oil drain and refill and see where it goes (around town...not on a big trip ;)). Obviously look for additional signs of water in the oil...when you get it drained.

I'd do an oil drain and refill and see where it goes (around town...not on a big trip ;)). Obviously look for additional signs of water in the oil...when you get it drained.

Yikes, I second the drain and refill. Now that you have a hunch it's probably best to start fresh on oil, and then pay close attention to that and coolant levels too.
Could you fellas elaborate more on the drain/refill? Is there possibly another reason for water in my oil?

I was just reading that maybe a leaking intake manifold gasket could be suspect also. When I first bought the rig I had to replace my starter contacts. I reused my gasket because it looked good. Could this possibly cause the problem?

^ No. More than likely a head gasket issue. Have you baselined/changed the engine oil and filter since you bought it? Assuming not then that's where I'd start and see what develops around town...then proceed incrementally to head gasket(s) as/if needed. Wouldn't hurt to run alcohol ("Heet", etc.) through the gas tank...to rid any water that may be in the tank...and check the fuel filter for same. This would be another entry point for moisture to get into oil...

Of course the other strategy would be to take both banks down to the pistons and see what's going on...

Like Spresso, I was just thinking that if this is a sign of a head gasket issue, starting with fresh fluids would help you see how fast, if at all, the gasket may be seeping coolant/water into your oil. Spresso's other suggestions are one's I'd pursue as well. And his last statement would be the way to get in there and do work if you think it's the HG and don't feel like screwing around. Have you considered getting a professional opinion? No offense to you intended...

Before you start spending a lot of money on parts or fluids, I would have a leakdown test done. Not a compression test, a leakdown test. That is the best way to confirm if a HG is leaking or not.

^ No. More than likely a head gasket issue. Have you baselined/changed the engine oil and filter since you bought it? Assuming not then that's where I'd start and see what develops around town...then proceed incrementally to head gasket(s) as/if needed. Wouldn't hurt to run alcohol ("Heet", etc.) through the gas tank...to rid any water that may be in the tank...and check the fuel filter for same. This would be another entry point for moisture to get into oil...

Of course the other strategy would be to take both banks down to the pistons and see what's going on...

Like Spresso, I was just thinking that if this is a sign of a head gasket issue, starting with fresh fluids would help you see how fast, if at all, the gasket may be seeping coolant/water into your oil. Spresso's other suggestions are one's I'd pursue as well. And his last statement would be the way to get in there and do work if you think it's the HG and don't feel like screwing around. Have you considered getting a professional opinion? No offense to you intended...
I changed out the oil 1,000 mi ago. M1 syn and filter. Since you brought up the fuel filter, I should mention that last week we were coming home for a short road trip. Probably 300 miles or so and in the last 70 I started to get a strong odor of gasoline in the cabin. I couldn't smell it when we stopped, but when we were moving, sure enough, the smell of gas. It lasted until the next day and then stopped. When I pulled the oil cap this morning, it did smell quite strong. Should there be a strong fuelly odor under the oil cap?
I will definitely do another oil change and run some heet.
@yotasavg...no offense taken. I thought I had this under control until last night. I definitely need a professional opinion, just gotta wait until payday. My guy charges $100 just to drive it in, but after that $100 he will tell me all problems from the worst all the way down to what can wait a while. Thanks for the responses fellas.:cheers:

Before you start spending a lot of money on parts or fluids, I would have a leakdown test done. Not a compression test, a leakdown test. That is the best way to confirm if a HG is leaking or not.
You read my mind. I've just been reading up on these. This seems like a wise step to take at this point.

KLF is spot on.

Could it be condensation from cold weather?

Also for a quick test of water/coolant in the oil. Take the dipstick out and brush the stick on a paper towel. you should be able to see if there is water that spreads out from the oil or if there is coffee creamy looking fluid on the stick

@yotasavg...no offense taken. I thought I had this under control until last night. I definitely need a professional opinion, just gotta wait until payday. My guy charges $100 just to drive it in, but after that $100 he will tell me all problems from the worst all the way down to what can wait a while. Thanks for the responses fellas.:cheers:

Cool, and I hear you on the mechanic. I keep a good private but licensed toyota/lexus tech on hand but he's expensive too, and only takes cash/debit. Always worth the free advice when I pay him for service though. Also I can't believe I slipped up on recommending the leak down, I just went through that on my grandmother's subi last week. :doh: FWIW, I don't notice fuel odor when I check my oil... or do anything with the LC other than refueling...

Also for a quick test of water/coolant in the oil. Take the dipstick out and brush the stick on a paper towel. you should be able to see if there is water that spreads out from the oil or if there is coffee creamy looking fluid on the stick
Dipstick is clean...of watery substances that is...
that residue on the oil cap isnt s*** its probably just condensation. I see it on cars all the time. is your car overheating? coolant loss? what are you trying to troubleshoot the rough idle or a whine?
Glad to hear it hopefully isn't s***. The car isn't overheating. No noticeable coolant loss as of yet. Been trying to troubleshoot both. Although I mentioned these particular problems on this thread, I guess my main concern was the milky s*** on my cap this morning. Gonna drive it to school right now and see if it burns off after a good 20 miles on the freeway.
Cool, and I hear you on the mechanic. I keep a good private but licensed toyota/lexus tech on hand but he's expensive too, and only takes cash/debit. Always worth the free advice when I pay him for service though. Also I can't believe I slipped up on recommending the leak down, I just went through that on my grandmother's subi last week. :doh: FWIW, I don't notice fuel odor when I check my oil... or do anything with the LC other than refueling...
I'm not sure what was up with the fuel smell. I bring that up because I'm just trying to throw out any potential symptoms/causes. This thing is a hot mess.

A little bit of moisture under the oil cap is normal. H20 is a byproduct of combustion. I wouldn't jump to the blown head gasket conclusion based on the cap alone.

A little bit of moisture under the oil cap is normal. H20 is a byproduct of combustion. I wouldn't jump to the blown head gasket conclusion based on the cap alone.

While generally inclined to agree, unless the lighting is off, that picture appears almost textbook blown HG. Needless to say, I hope you are correct.

Leakdown is a great tool. Also, while not as quick, an oil analysis from Blackstone would be $25 well spent.

that residue on the oil cap isnt s*** its probably just condensation. I see it on cars all the time. is your car overheating? coolant loss? what are you trying to troubleshoot the rough idle or a whine?
well, I wiped the cap off, drove to school doing 70 and when I got there the mud had reaccumulated in a fine layer on the cap. I thought to myself, it is what it is.... Drove home doin 70, and I pulled the cap again, and the water is no longer there. Dipstick is still clean....you might be right my brotha. I am praying to sweet baby Jesus you are, because I think I like your version of this story the best.

. See above. I hope you guys are right. I still gotta do a leak down test so I can put this paranoia to rest.

While generally inclined to agree, unless the lighting is off, that picture appears almost textbook blown HG. Needless to say, I hope you are correct.
the lighting was spot on. That's what it looked like through my eyes. After a good hard drive to get this thing warmed up, the water had disappeared.

Leakdown is a great tool. Also, while not as quick, an oil analysis from Blackstone would be $25 well spent.
Doin it for my sanity.

On another note, when I replaced my drive belt tensioner pulley, I did not replace the tensioner arm itself. Today when I was watching the wheels turn, I noticed a little bounce in the tensioner arm. Could this be cause for a rough idle? Never noticed it before. Could a shotty tensioner arm cause everything to have a little wobble in it?
Thank you all so much for the input and helping to sleep better at night. If I could get all of you in a room and buy you guys a beer, I most definitely would. :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom