BIG MEAT RUN, 21-23 March 2014 in Disney OK (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It’s on like Donkey Kong
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/usa-south-central/1538097-2014-big-meats-run.html
I had a blast last year, and the year before. This will be my third straight year attending. Last year we had a few from TAC show up. I think some will be returning. It is a great time to see a lot of different rigs and some great carnage. I plan to set up camp in a new location (see map). I’ll be just outside Langley, below the spillway, northwest of Rec Area 1 and west of Grand Cherokee Golf Course in accordance with Google Maps. I think there is power in that area should a big red bus show up?

BMR 2014.jpg

The wife & I plan to go again. Along with a few Wichita 4x4 Club members. As u say great time, we've been ta Disney 20 + times. Great map. Were you able to make reservations at the campground? And do have the #? We would like to avoid campin in a ditch again as the crowd keeps gittin bigger every year. TIA, Don P.
UPDATE! We got reservations made. Sites 1 & 2 in riverside campground. It is the CG before you cross the steel bridge, Supposed to 50' long. Should be there late thurs evenin... C Ya there!

Last edited:
Great map.
Thanks (to Google)
Were you able to make reservations at the campground? And do have the #?
I have never made reservations. I'll look around for the receipt from last year. I think it is an OK State Camp Site so their number should be on the web, somewhere.

I also leave home Thursday AM, around 6:00 am. Get there around 11:00 am. Most camping spots are open then.

Count me in. Hopefully no carnage for me this year!

Are 80 series allowed ?

Hell yeah! Last year we had a cornucopia of rigs running together. Two FJ40s, three Samurais, a FJ Cruiser a 78 Ford SB, a little Taco and a couple others (IIRC). This isn't sanctioned/supported/sponsored by anyone, that I'm aware of. It is a few of us heading to Disney OK to wheel. Come on, let's go!

other than the drive to wheel those sites look great. count Mom and I in. We will probaly head down Thur morning also.

It's not that far to drive to wheel from those sites Rob! U cut across right below the ledges! Not far at all! Robbie Todd and I checked it out last year.:steer:

I've got a better use for Golf Balls! They are in my TIRES!!!! 24 altogether, for balancing!:wrench::steer::steer: U checked on reserving spots yet Robbie?

I haven't looked into reserving a spot. I've never reserved a spot when going down there. The site I have in the map above isn't shown on Oklahoma - Green Country Region. I found a phone number for OK Parks and Rec, 1-800-652-6552. I'll try to call before the weekend. I did find a address that is close to where the camp site is located.
Grand Cherokee Golf Course, N4475 Road, Langley, OK 74350

Well I might have to eat some crow on this

Wouldn’t be the first time. Here is the situation. Oklahoma State Parks did go to an on-line registration. The bottom line, Cherokee area (around Disney) shows no vacancies.
Knowing: 1. How many people were there last year (and the years before), 2. The amount of space in the Cherokee, Lake Front area that was open over the years. I found it hard to believe that all the camping sites were full. ?
So, I did some digging on the web site. As all the campsites were full at Cherokee area, I jumped into the Natural Falls State Park area and found the website shows Premium and Non-Premium campsites. I didn’t see a clear delineation between Premium and Non-Premium campsites. I did notice that both Premium and Non-Premium had power (30 to 50 amp), the site sizes were over 30’, and the site types were Semi-Modern or Modern (whatever that means).
I also went to the Pirate4x4 site to ask some questions but it wouldn’t let me post anything for some reason?
My assessment, Oklahoma State Parks only lists camping sites designed for RV/Camper/5th Wheel type of camping, at this time. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Personally, all I’m looking for is a primitive campsite. You know what I mean, a tent. All I need is a place to park the truck, trailer, my Samurai (when not wheeling) and a place to pitch a tent. Or even better (maybe not), sleep in the bed of my truck. Is Oklahoma State Parks now reserving primitive campsites?

I've got a better use for Golf Balls! They are in my TIRES!!!! 24 altogether, for balancing!:wrench::steer::steer: U checked on reserving spots yet Robbie?

Do you think if you didn't have the golf ball in your tires that you could have floated a better? :hmm:

ol' Crow may have a fix.

And if she does here is the plan. 2013 below is Cherokee, Lakeside camping area. I thought we'd try Cherokee, Riverside 2014 below this year. Peggy call Oklahoma State Parks to reserve a site for the Big Red Bus but the site was full. Person on the other end recomended Cherokee, Grand View 2014 Change 1 below.

Worst case we all meet [at a location] at [designated times] each day.

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

It's hard to see on the view posted by ASI H8, but there are bathrooms, showers and a shelter. This is probably an old view as there are roads. We have reserved the last 2 sites in the entire park. There is room for tents in the sites and in a grassy area. If they come around and charge us the cost for extra tents is $12/night. This is the same charge this year for tent camping anywhere in the park. If no one wants to do this we can cancel the sites, but Rob and I will probably stay here as we need power. So share your thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom