Recovering Seat Bottoms in Vinyl vs Leather Full Sets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, long time listener, first time caller here. I'm hoping y'all will help me weigh the pros and cons of my options for recovering the front two seats of my hundy. Both seat bottoms are badly ripped and worn, and the arm rests are in bad shape too. The seat backs, headrests etc are in pretty good shape.

I'm trying to decide between 3 options:
1) recover both front seat bottoms in vinyl @ $175 each,

2) order the full leather sets from the mud member who's handle escapes me at the moment @ $750

3) Throw some high quality seat covers on and forget about it @ $200

I'm really getting analysis paralysis from this decision for some reason. How will these options affect the resale value and life of hundy? What will make my hundy the happiest?

At the moment I plan on keeping her for another 150k, but that could change... I do a lot of hunting, kayaking, sitting in the truck wet and muddy etc, so I'm trying to take my abuse into consideration as well.

Anyway, let me know what you think or what you've decided to do with your rig. I really appreciate the input and thanks for everything y'all do here.

Just to throw another option at you, what about cloth inserts in the seats.

I wanted to get the seats recovered in mb tex. Or go with cloth inserts in plaid. Like old school Porsches.

interior.jpg

The leather ones are from Shane at MetricTLC.

http://www.shop.metrictlc.com/1998-8-02-100-Series-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-Leather-Seat-Covers-Y-01.htm

[STRIKE]The $745 is for all three rows. I have no idea if this is an option, but you might want to call him and see if you can get just the front row if that's all you need. I can't imagine ever wearing out the 2nd or 3rd row unless you cut it with something.[/STRIKE]

Edit. Just re-read the site and the $745 is just for the front.

Personally, there's no way I'd run vinyl. Too much seat time to sweat that much.

Fabric of some sort seems the way to go. Love the plaid!

My truck has OEM cloth, I also have another car with leather interior. IMHO the cloth has a better "butt feel" than the leather in hot or cold weather. Even with heated seats.

Off Road the cloth has better ass traction so you don't slide as much.

I am not a huge fan of leather interiors.

Leather interior is sort of like a land rover, it requires way to much maintenance. ;)

Leather interior is sort of like a land rover, it requires way to much maintenance. ;)

It's actually the lowest maintenance you can have. Things just wipe up. Wouldn't dream of anything else with kids.

Mb tex requires no maintenance. Leather requires cleaning and conditioning every 6 months to keep it well maintained. Most people do not maintain their leather. i would replace my leather in the front 2 seats with mb tex If available. Arm rests and center console as well.

Can't imagine it being as easy to clean up peanut butter, Choc milk, mushed Cheerios, etc.

What the heck is peanut butter, choc milk, mushed Cheerios etc doing in the hundy in the first place?

I won't let my kids eat in the car period.

I'm revisiting this thread and looking for good fabric alternatives. Has anyone actually replaced their leather for a fabric of some kind? I also like the feel of fabric and don't like the sliding around feel leather gives and the heat it absorbs in the hot desert summer sun.

MB Tex is pretty much bomb proof, and can't be hurt by anything you or your kids are likely to have/drop/smoush in the car. Most MB dealerships outsource trim work to a local shop. Find that shop in your area and go ask them for a price. They have the material, and the one I use locally does beautiful work at decent prices for car guys.

Personally I'd take Shane's leather covers ahead of anything else. He sent me some swatches when I bought something else from him, and the leather is top quality. Understand if you want something that is dead nuts unhurtable like MB Tex. Its as slippy as leather though.

What the heck is peanut butter, choc milk, mushed Cheerios etc doing in the hundy in the first place?

I won't let my kids eat in the car period.

I'm revisiting this thread and looking for good fabric alternatives. Has anyone actually replaced their leather for a fabric of some kind? I also like the feel of fabric and don't like the sliding around feel leather gives and the heat it absorbs in the hot desert summer sun.

Kudos to 00N8 on the not letting the kids eat in the vehicle. I've been in many vehicles with smeared fruit snacks, broken up crumbled goldfish crackers, dried up capri sun and chocolate milk stains, etc. My parents wouldn't let us eat in the vehicle either. Period. End of story. I wish others were the same way, it would give me more options when it comes time for the next LC. My family's vehicles growing up were in very nice shape, especially the interior. I'm only 35 and no kids, but it sure seems like things have changed over the last couple decades. Or maybe my family was the only one that way, I think my friends families were the same way, IIRC.

I felt the same before I had kids, but it's just not practical with little tummies and long drives. A tub of Goldfish goes a long way toward making a happy trip.

This thread is relevant to my interests. My seats are in ok shape, but my steering wheel is still garbage. Also, I don't let my kid eat spilly foods in the car. Drystuffs are ok.

Have any of you recovered your steering wheels in MB Tex? I also plan on keeping my LC for another 150k (or forever actually) and would be willing to get this redone.

That 911 up there is hawt. Wouldn't work in an LC though.

Last edited:
Mb tex on the steering wheel would be awesome.

Mb Tex everywhere would be awesome. My seat leather, arm rests and center console look terrible.

211k on the odo. Probably closer to 220k based on running 33s since 100k.

I've never heard of MBTex, so I Googled it.

While some here think it's a wonder product, on this Mercedes forum it appears there are several opinions to the contrary:
http://www.mercedescla.org/forum/5-cla-general-discussion/312-mbtex-vs-leather.html

I agree with OregonLC that replacing with quality leather is the way to go.

Though at present the plan may be to keep it, I think you'd take a resale hit with anything other than leather.

Anyone know where I can get the driver's seat bottom replaced? I'm about to pull the trigger on SOR seat covers for the front and I'd rather not. I don't want to wear out my suits on cordura.

MB Tex is pretty much bomb proof, and can't be hurt by anything you or your kids are likely to have/drop/smash in the car. Most MB dealerships outsource trim work to a local shop. Find that shop in your area and go ask them for a price. They have the material, and the one I use locally does beautiful work at decent prices for car guys.

Personally I'd take Shane's leather covers ahead of anything else. He sent me some swatches when I bought something else from him, and the leather is top quality. Understand if you want something that is dead nuts unhurtable like MB Tex. Its as slippy as leather though.

Did you go the MB Tex route? Any idea what MB Tex color is the best match for 98-02 Land Cruiser tan seats, as I am just looking at recovering the front row?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom