Blinking Markers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ElPolloBlanco

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
instagram.com
See Post Number 6 for the completion of our Saga.
Great news. I just found out that my AOE Front Bumper has shipped. Hopefully it comes early next week so I can get it painted and on the truck before my trip to Redding. But the problem discussed before in this thread is that it covers the blinker. I wasn't really satisfied with the options provided to me there. The Slee method involves cutting into the marker housing and using and impossible to find harness to fab a light. The Innovative Wiring harness is hard to find and I actually plan to just remove the blinker housing all together so that wasn't going to work. And then I came along this idea which I like the most but those harnesses are impossible to find. So what I'm going to do is take this socket and wire it up to make the markers mark and blink. I just got them in the mail today and didn't check it until this evening, but I'll be doing this tomorrow or early this week and will finish up a write up of how I did it. For now I'm going to start with some photos of what I've got.

1491599_10153673209905215_897943629_n.jpg

Here is a screen shot from my phone of what I ordered in case the link above stops working.

1525712_10153673210065215_1624806705_n.jpg

Order two for the pair. Cost me just under 13 bucks.

1510400_10153673209935215_1873927535_n.jpg

Socket side

1526952_10153673209985215_723205519_n.jpg

Back Side

It's a good idea to test them to make sure they actually work before doing all the work installing them. They do come out of Hong Kong so I really did have my doubts. I only have two hands so my 4 year old daughter helped me out by holding the ground wire for me.

1546015_10153673209830215_2101456617_n.jpg

This is also a great opportunity to see which wire feeds which element. Green is bright for the blinker, white is not as bright for the marker. If I recall the 1157 bulb's smaller filament is 5-8 watts where as the 194 wedge that is in the marker stock is about 3 watts. That means that the marker should be brighter with the 1157 bulb.

72329_10153673209880215_408958318_n.jpg

That's all I have for tonight I hope to get this done tomorrow if not then it will be Tuesday because I have to watch Mack Brown coach his last game for UT on Monday. \m/ Hook 'Em \m/
https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/95009-corner-marker-light-drop-dual-filiment-sockets.html

Last edited:
Good work!

Innovative wiring has a kit that is almost plug n play. It replaces the front harness and puts markers and blinkers into both the corner lamp and the front signal lamp. Costs a bit more than your sockets though.

Love the pics of your helper! My helper usually turns into The Boss and tells me what to do next :eek:

I've been following your threads and I am really interested in how things turn out for you.
I just installed my AOE today and I need to mess with the blinkers.
For now, the light cutouts provide just enough of an opening to see the glow from the blinkers lol

I've been following your threads and I am really interested in how things turn out for you.
I just installed my AOE today and I need to mess with the blinkers.
For now, the light cutouts provide just enough of an opening to see the glow from the blinkers lol

In the short term you can actually swap the blinker socket into the marker so you don't get held up by johnny law. What lights do you plan to but into the cut outs? I'm going to be cutting wires and completely removing the blinkers. May even remove the housings to make room for other mods (A/c Dryer move).

In the short term you can actually swap the blinker socket into the marker so you don't get held up by johnny law. What lights do you plan to but into the cut outs? I'm going to be cutting wires and completely removing the blinkers. May even remove the housings to make room for other mods (A/c Dryer move).
I haven't even got that far yet in terms of what I want to put there :doh:
I just knew that I'd probably kick myself in the head later on if I decided I wanted lights and didn't get the cutouts.

I'm thinking some nice fog lights since I'll be in CO mostly, then 10" lightforces on the tabs near the winch, unless they dont fit.. haven't checked that out either. I'm really winging this whole thing. :hillbilly:

Part II

Ok So after watching my Dolphins loose today I got out and put everything together. Let me start off by saying that if you order the same sockets I do to test them all. The wires from one are opposite the other and I didn't find out until I had everything together and had to take one of them apart to swap the low and High filament wires. OK moving on.
First things first take the Markers out. One Screw a good tug and it's out. No pics of this look it up.

First thing is to test fit the sockets into the housings. They Did.

I then set up shop at the Breakfast table to do my work.

Invest in some good wire strippers. I got these out of the "Broken" bin at work because some screws on them keep coming loose.

I wanted the option to unplug the lights when I removed the housings in the stock manner. This meant cutting the harness for the stock lights and reusing the stock plug.

After Cutting the harness solder your wires together. Remember CHECK THE NEW CHINESE MADE HARNESS or you'll mess up like me and end up redoing one of them. White is the Toyota ground by the way. See

I'm an idiot and didn't get a photo of the newly wired harness. Basically take the black to the ground (white) and the dim filament wire to the green (like I said make sure you check once or you'll work twice). I used fully insulated quick disconnects for the blinkers. You'll see all of this in the youtube video at the end, kinda.

Next is the stuff on the truck. Remove the stock blinker housings and take the harness off of it. I just did the work on my hood.

I added the crimp on QDs and then pulled everything up the same route as the marker wiring.

Here is another pic of the harness in the truck.

Make sure that you use the opposite of the QD you used on the 1157 socket on the Green Power wire for the blinker or you will not be able to plug it in. Hopefully that goes without saying. I also used a crimp on QD for the ground wire as well. I may end up adding an LED strip under the headlight if I feel that the AOE bull bar blocks the signal too much. I used the opposite QD as the positive as to not confuse the two. Also on the Positive QD you'll see the extra wire coming out. That is for the possible LED addition. All I have to do is strip the wire and ad a crimp and it's off to the races.

Now, Plug everything in and test. Watch the video linked Here. And Pardon my messy garage. It's a bout to get cleaned out so I can park the Cruiser in it to do all the work in the motor. This is what is going to work for me. If you wanted to keep the stock blinker as well that would be easy to do and you could run wires both ways and get 4 1157 sockets to have marker/blinker lights in both. KCCO

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom