Rice Peak 12.28.13 Trail Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RockJock82

Sometimes you have to kick a little A$$
Threads
I will go. How long do you think the run will take? A buddy of mine wants to go, but has to be home by 2:00. I don't think he can make it.

How's the snow up there? Is the trail on the "Sunny Side" of the hill?

Thanks for organizing this.

Chuck

Last edited:
I should be there and maybe another buddy with an 80

Did Rice Peak a few month back. Add snow or mud and this run will be very exciting!

I agree, pucker factor if icey.:eek:

Chuck, I would guess 2" to 4" on some of the shaded sections on the southern loop.

Let me know the Oracle ita, should be able to make this..

Would a mildly lifted 100 with sliders, 295's and ATRAC be good for this run? Been wanting to do Rice Pk. for a while...

I just showed up here, and am not a member yet, but I have that day free, and my brother will be here from out of state and I think it would be a blast. Plus I could meet some of you.

My truck should be up to it, I worry about my crappy clutch, but careful driving and lowrange will be ok, in an emergency I may need a tug. I have a ton of recovery crap. The clutch is near gone, but if I keep the rpm low and the gearing lower, I should be fine. I'm certainly not new to offroading, just to this truck. I have been up some stiff hills with it already, and no problems. The previous owner just told me the clutch was at the end of it's life.

We'd love to come if that is OK.

Jeff

Last edited:
To clarify, I have my own jerk straps, Hi-Lift, tow chains, and ratchet straps, etc. And a fair bit of ingenuity!

I have been up Rice Peak in my '85 pickup, (just not in the snow). I do believe it will be a BLAST!

Jeff

Last edited:
Would a mildly lifted 100 with sliders, 295's and ATRAC be good for this run? Been wanting to do Rice Pk. for a while...

Should be fine. It's a fairly easy trail. Well when there isn't snow anyway

Should be fine. It's a fairly easy trail. Well when there isn't snow anyway

The first picture was December 2007. Just past the turn the road was solid ice and angled down into the canyon - I gave up after the Taco started to slid off the road :eek:

The second thru fifth photos are from August 2012 - much better weather!

DSC00391-small.jpg

IMG_2116-small.jpg

IMG_2123-small.jpg

IMG_2132-small.jpg

IMG_2134-small.jpg

Steve - are you going to be able to make it?

John - look forward to seeing you.

Here's an email exchange with my buddy on this subject....

ANDY: "Is the snow a concern or a selling point?"

ME: "From what I have heard of Rice Peak – if it’s snowy, it would be a harrowing trip. Steep, rocky expanses, with loose gravel. Significant potential to roll several thousand feet down into inaccessible canyons with the slightest slip, loss of traction or mistake – Sounds great."

Im excited to hit this trail, never been but should be a good time. I will have 2 Rubi's and another 80 adding to the group so should be a great turn out :hillbilly:

I ran it unlocked last time because others I was leading were but I did lock on the decent. I have done the trail twice and it is steep and loose on a shelf road with switch back requiring backing up. No big off camber section or big ledges to deal with. The trail is not difficult for a seasoned wheeler but is not a trail for someone with low seat time or fear of drop offs. Will ATRAC kick in my guess would be a good chance. The views are big at the top.

Kudos to Steve for running it a vehicle with a carb!:clap::popcorn:

Hmmm. Maybe I should reconsider. It sounds pretty treacherous in the snow.

Jeff

Not trying to scare anyone from going but it is not a trail you want to get in trouble on. At least in the last mile.

Since you have been there maybe you can confirm this but from what I understand it is a easy trail until the spur road going to the top (1.3 miles)?? I have only been up a few miles by my self at night so I figured it was smart to turn back:grinpimp:

I am planing on going just on the loop section and if others are able to make the summit I will just stay back with my unlocked mall cruiser and let the dog run around while I eat lunch.

Last edited:
Since you have been there maybe you can confirm this but from what I understand it is a easy trail until the switchback road going to the top (1.3 miles)?? I have only been up a few miles by my self at night so I figured it was smart to turn back:grinpimp:

I am planing on going just on the loop section and if others are able to make the summit I will just stay back with my unlocked mall cruiser and let the dog run around while I eat lunch.

You will know in advance by looking where your comfort zone is. Yes the last part (1 - 1.5miles) is where you will want to pay attention. Most wives would not be happy on the last part.

Fair trail description IMO
http://www.experience-az.com/adventures/4wd/ricepeak/ricepeak.html

Alright, I'll stop being a wuss and show up and do what I feel a warm fuzzy about.

My pickup had a 3" Rancho lift, the Cruiser is stock. Should be fine. I would hope.

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom