Valve Clearances Cold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone measured the valve clearances cold after setting them to the correct clearance hot. I pulled my valve cover to refinish it while the carb is away at Jim C for rebuild. I intended to adjust the valves hot when the carb is returned. The valve clearances cold are HUGE and I would have thought the change from cold to hot would be a few thousands. Looks like this truck has not had a valve adjustment in a long long time. Thanks

Last edited:
That is what I would expect, Looks like the POs never adjusted the valves on this engine, Some of the exhaust valves cold are ,035. Thanks

That much wear will primarily be between cam lobe & lifter base.:frown:

Cam wear has always been a weak point for F series engines, but has gotten noticeably worse in the last ten years because of the reduced EP additive in newer EPA legal motor oil.

The truck has about 135,000 miles and sat in a barn for the last ten years. The water pump went and the PO parked the truck. I did a compression test cold and all cylinders are 150. I will adjust the valves when the carb comes back from Jim C and see how it runs. If not maybe it is time for a 2F. Thanks

Hey so, I am adjusting the valves for the first time after replacing the head and before starting.
Should I go with about .010 intake and .016 as a baseline?
(Obviously adjusting it hot once it gets running again.)

Heifer-net

No, just set it to the book specs, they don't change much from hot to cold on these engines.
Run engine to operating temp once or twice, then retorque head bolts, mani bolts and readjust valves.

Hi, anyone know why the FSM and standard way of thought is to measure valve clearance when the engine is warmed up? Just curious, thanks, ty
:beer:

Because the primary concern is getting the valve lash correct when the engine is running. Most of the time when an engine is running it is warmed up. IOW, we don't care what the valve lash is on a cold, non-runnning engine because... well, it is not running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom