Fools Gold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Land Speeder

InstaH8R
Threads
Yeah.... right now, it's name is Fools Gold. I've yet to even be able to wash it! If it ain't one thing, it's another! Flat towed it behind the motor-house to Auburn today, unhook it... starting backing up..... won;t stop! FREAK! pop the hood, FULL reservoir!
I fear I now know what's "pulling" on the front passenger. It may not make it back tomorrow if I can't find parts. May need a complete new brake job up front... but needs bearings up front BAD... I had so much to do I couldn't even look at it... I'll tear into that wheel tomorrow to see what's up.
For now, the cheapest thing so far was actually BUYING it! LOL.

I can't wait to get this thing base-lined.... if I ever can! OUCH.

so, whats the verdict/backstory?
did it all go back together?

It is still in Auburn. Shame on me for NOT tearing into the front axle after I discovered the first rusty bearing on Tuesday. Suppose this would be payback:

The vanishing bearing!

The inner race "welded" to the spindle:

Hub, spindle, rotor, caliper, bearings, seals, what else will need replacing...

Easily $1000 to get back to drivable. Did I mention I had to leave it? I spent the afternoon trying to locate a dolly or trailer, it was graduation weekend in Auburn, u-Haul is fresh out.
I'm just going to get it and park it for now. I've spent ALOT of money trying to make this thing DD'able and I'm spent. Even took a loan just to get it.

I know a lot of folks have recently owned this rig, I'm not blaming anyone at all... I just thought it was in better shape than it is. Truth is, until I bolted the one motor mount down... I'm not sure there was even a single point the drive train was held down. The tranny mounts have long been busted, and until I dropped the skid plate, I thought the xfer was connected to it. It's not.So in essence, the entire drivetrain was just floating around in there, held in by two drive shafts. No wonder the two difs are leaking.

I thought you had a spare axle?

Yeah, I thought I had a deal with a friend too... turns out, he wants twice the amount for the axles that I sold him in and entire drivetrain... oh well.

I know a fella with a 92 that is parked. From what I hear he's only been into the axles once but that were good at the time. He's not the best cruiser owner by any stretch but there might be usable stuff.

The good news is he's having some engine issues so it's going to be parked for a while.

If you want I can talk to him.

Dang. That sucks. I rebuilt those knuckles twice, repacked after every water crossing and had just put in new bearings.

What happened to justheards axle? Didnt paul buy it?

I can't say it was me... I've only flat-towed it twice and driven it to work twice. Had it for a month, and it's pretty much been on a rack the entire time for one reason or another.

Paul has it, but hasn't swapped it over yet. so no point in rushing him. We talked today. I have the Tundra. I'll just drive it and plan on keeping it for now.

I know a fella with a 92 that is parked. From what I hear he's only been into the axles once but that were good at the time. He's not the best cruiser owner by any stretch but there might be usable stuff.

The good news is he's having some engine issues so it's going to be parked for a while.

If you want I can talk to him.

I'm not borrowing parts off a vehicle you plan on keeping... It's not worth that.

I did buy it and its sitting in the garage, Eric and I talked about it earlier. Ill have the original 3fe axle out and ready to sell at some point but it probably won't fit his time frame.

Sent from my iPhone using magic

I hate to say it, but the rear bearings are probably suspect too. It looks like it went swimming in swamp water and then sat for a while. I can't think of anything else that would cause that much damage in such a short time

I did buy it and its sitting in the garage, Eric and I talked about it earlier. Ill have the original 3fe axle out and ready to sell at some point but it probably won't fit his time frame.

Sent from my iPhone using magic

No worries. I'm going to drag it back and store someplace. I have no more money to put in it at this point honestly. I've lost too much in selling rigs. So it'll sit.

1000 is your estimate to baseline the whole rig, or just fix the axle?

1000 is your estimate to baseline the whole rig, or just fix the axle?

baseline? lol. let's reserve that for routine maintenance. i'm replacing big parts.
it'll be cheaper to find a whole axle than to find spindle, hub, caliper, rotor, seals, etc.

Preciate it Jim. Look for me with a dolly on the interstate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom