Cibie Lighting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
If anyone has spent more than 5 minutes researching parts for specialized lights such as Cibie, you certainly understand the difficulty locating these unique products. I recently had luck with a gentleman by the name of Gunther Hansele at www.talbotco.com/.

Gunther was a tremendous resource and reliably communicated about availability and shipping.

Well, for half the price of the cibie's, and no hassle trying to find them, these are just as good:

http://www.busdepot.com/0301600118

I have the Cibie's, too.

Actually, make that less than half price, after looking at that website...

The corect for US Cibie show up on Amazon ever so often for under $100 a pair, just got 2 pair last month.

I never knew if Talbot was still in business, as the web site seemed old

There is a Rover place, Coventry West that also sells them, as well as Daniel Stern, they may be related.

What does 'E' code mean?

The European equivalent of DOT. The standards/light pattern differ from the DOT standards. FWIW, I run E-code Bosch housings and love them. IIRC, there are E-code housings for both RHD/left side of road countries and LHD/right side of road countries.

Heard good things about those, but never used them. For over 15 years I have used Hella 80/100 and have been happy. I also run Cibie Oscar Plus amber lens fogs w/55watt bulbs on all my rigs...really like the combo

Which bulbs do you like? I dig these $30 Phillip ones

I have run Cibie and Hella, and I would say the Cibie are superior. Not that the Hellas are bad, just the Cibies are even better. JMHO.

The corect for US Cibie show up on Amazon ever so often for under $100 a pair

Good point. There are LHD and RHD versions.

these are just as good:

Disagree.

I have run Cibie and Hella, and I would say the Cibie are superior. Not that the Hellas are bad, just the Cibies are even better. JMHO.

I've got a pair of each too, and the Cibies are easily superior. Not enough that I'm looking for another pair to replace the Hellas, but better, for sure. Shown here with a pair of '80s-vintage Cibie Oscar driving lights.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Cibies are easily superior.

In what way?

I've got the Hellas/Cibies on a '75 and 74, both with upgraded harness, the same legal Osram bulbs, and the output is the same and the materials/quality are pretty much the same to my fondling. Unless you've done some kind of controlled side by side, the above statement is rather vague, eh? :meh:

I don't have a dog in this fight, it's just that people are always orgasm-ing Cibie-Cibie-Cibie when the reality is most of the high-end housings are more or less the same and the difference is in the bulb you choose. It's like SnapOn wrenches vs Mac pretty much whatever you choose will do the job fine.

Also, those round chrome Aux Cibies are nice - I did a brief search and only saw rectangular ones. Gonna have to go to the CB site and see if they're still made

:cheers:

I've got the Bosch in my 60, but they're DOT - They do the job just fine and I'm very happy with the light they put out also, with the Osram bulbs. Or, it could be the harness upgrades I used in each vehicle. Hey, it's my bologna, I'll slice it any way I wanna! :D

I've never had a set of Hella 7" round H4 headlights, only the 5x7 large rectangular headlights. Those compared to the Bosch 5.75" round, the Bosch GM tiny rectangular H4's, and the no-name Polish built 7" rounds are decidedly not as good. Could be the round vs. rectangular, could be the Hella vs. others, don't know. By "not as good" I mean that the lighting pattern (all are/were E code lights) wasn't as good, wasn't as helpful to drive behind. I never felt the need for aux driving lights with the 7" H4's with 55/60W bulbs, but the 5x7's with 55/100W bulbs desperately need them. Call me unconvinced of any advantage in the Hella brand over other options. The Bus Depot used to have Bosch 7" round H4's. If they still do I'd give them a whirl before buying Hellas.

Fast Eddy said:
Cibies are easily superior.

In what way?

the above statement is rather vague, eh? :meh:

Ok, I need to put an "IMO" in there.

The pattern of the Hellas is nice, wide and with a decent cutoff. Better than almost anything, but I haven't seen the Bosches up close. I'm guessing they're pretty good too.

The pattern of the Cibies is complex. It's brighter and fuller on the passenger-side. It's like this to illuminate the shoulder and be less-intrusive on the oncoming traffic. The cutoff at the top is sharper than the Hellas.

This is another demonstration that would warrant spending some time that I don't have at the moment. Both of my rigs are rolling. In theory I could take a couple pictures. In practice it's cold out and warm in.

Fast Eddy, nice looking 40. Are those the Super Oscars, or the 190's?

I'm getting a fridge/freezer first, then I'm getting those lights! They're great! (loud Tony the Tiger voice!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom