Rattle can color that is close to OEM gray wheel color (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Folks,

I was planning to keep my OEM steel wheels black but after seeing some more 40's with the gray wheel color I'm leaning that way.

I know you can get some $18 rattle cans from outfitters that is "Toyota Gray" or something close to the OEM gray color but is there a cheaper rattle can color that would be a close match that you could pick at HD, Lowes, Etc…….I want to spray one wheel and compare before making a final decision.

I did search and only found something called "massey ferguson gray" but none of the local stores or tractor supply stores carry this in stock.

Thanks for any input.

I used Valspar Tractor and Implement High Gloss Enamel 5339-22 MF (Massey Ferguson) Gray . Found that info from someone else on here a few years ago (search). Don't remember where I got it or how much.

Rustoleum gray is pretty darn close.
nice pic of the top.jpg

That does look close.

Did you clear coat or just spray a few coats.

Thanks for the heads up.

I had them blasted and then I put on a couple of coats of primer and a couple of coats of gray and they have held up extremely well. Three years now.

I had them blasted and then I put on a couple of coats of primer and a couple of coats of gray and they have held up extremely well. Three years now.

Do you remember if the color was just plain gray…I looked at lowes and they had lots of primer gray,hammered metal gray, and gray smoke but nothing just gray.

Thanks,

battleship gray is a widely used industrial color made by many paint manufacturers. its probably pretty close.

Gray wheel paint

Ditto on Valspar Massey Ferguson gray high gloss enamel.
It is a little darker than the original Toyota color but looks good and the tractor & implement paint holds up well.

Used some Rustoleum industrial light machine gray to tone down the white shock absorbers but opted not to use it for the wheels because it was too light.
Rustoleum dark machine gray was too blue.
The MF gray shown on the wheels below is available from Tractor Supply. If they are not in your area I suppose you could order it from them online.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/
looks like this...
IMG_2030.JPG
IMG_2032.JPG

Last edited:
X3 for M-F gray from Tractor Supply. It sprays well and seems very tough. As with any painting effort, proper prep is the key.

blue grey rims

I happen to like my rims just a little darker and have a blue/grey look. I just happened to luck onto a color that works just right. Ace Premium High Seas Blue....yep, that's it. looks a little too blue in the picture. They are perfect once the caps are on.

Dukes
image.jpg

Anyone ever paint a set of white spoke aftermarket rims gray? I've seen them black... and of course white.

Or, should I stick with old school white.

Krylon Smoke Gray. Available almost anywhere. It seems to be more blue/gray than silver/gray.

image-784111133.jpg

image-2381318604.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD
image-784111133.jpg
image-2381318604.jpg

Well, i ordered some MF Gray that won't be here until next Wednesday and going to pick up the Krylon Smoke Gray and some Battleship today……I think i will shoot all three and choose from there.

Thanks for all the input…..I really like that smoke gray in your pictures copenhagen1.

Last edited:
X2 - Krylon Smoke Gray. Available almost anywhere.

I like the fact that it will likely be produced for many years so you can touch up and re-spray and always have it match.

Battleship gray and the Rusto color are way closer than the MF color. Sorry MF fans...

If you're concerned about being disqualified at Pebble Beach, then M-F gray isn't the best color option. But for the rest of us, while it may not be exactly OEM, it looks pretty darn handsome against most OEM body colors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom