Trollhole carb on FJ55....2nd try...what am I doing wrong? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

no return on the TH carb

sure thing, hope you have an fsm, it outlines nicely how to reinstall the dizzy correctly with everything pointed in the right direction. You should be able to pull the clutch plate inspection cover and rotate the flywheel with the help of some good leather gloves. I normally paint the BB with some white paint while I have it off. Line it all up, adjust the valves, and make sure the disty is in correctly. You can manually check for top dead center by putting your little finger in the 1st plug hole and feeling it as it comes up and down as you turn the flywheel (a little at a time or have a friend help rotate it slowly). Find that TDC and go from there, good luck.....
Ok...pulled the flywheel inspection cover and got lucky at TDC....here is a picture of the dizzy....looks like the correct position via other pics I've seen right?...how can I tell wether it was possibly installed 180 out? At this point I'm thinking about just dropping in the new dizzy to eliminate this one as a problem..I have no background on this dizzy as it came on the car when purchased and can't even find any id markings on it to tell if it's correct or not...thoughts? image-1219767522.jpg image-3116389467.jpg
image-1219767522.jpg
image-3116389467.jpg

That dizzy is NOT properly installed…IF that is the rotor position for #1 cylinder. It looks to be almost 60 degrees out.

Pull the valve cover to check. If #1 valves are loose, then check terminal leads on the dizzy cap to see if they correspond to rotor location. Pin_Head suggested in a post a couple of years back that for diagnostic purposes, it would be a lot easier to just rotate all the plug wires one position to check on an improperly installed distributor than pulling it out and fussing with reseting it when you don't necessarily need to. I concur in this for diagnostic purposes.

Mark

BTW, that is not a '71 dizzy. Looks to be a '77.

That dizzy is NOT properly installed…IF that is the rotor position for #1 cylinder. It looks to be almost 60 degrees out. Pull the valve cover to check. If #1 valves are loose, then check terminal leads on the dizzy cap to see if they correspond to rotor location. Pin_Head suggested in a post a couple of years back that for diagnostic purposes, it would be a lot easier to just rotate all the plug wires one position to check on an improperly installed distributor than pulling it out and fussing with reseting it when you don't necessarily need to. I concur in this for diagnostic purposes. Mark BTW, that is not a '71 dizzy. Looks to be a '77.

Hi Mark,

Sorry....I just realized when I took the pic I was not at TDC;(...sorry about the confusion....Will pull the valve cover tomorrow and make sure I have TDC correct...thanks for the info on the Dizzy...still seems suspect if someone removed the stocky and put in a 77...based on all the horrible ignition parts/work that was previously done on the vehicle before I got it...

Thanks,
Ben

If it runs good for 10 seconds using starting fluid it is not likely an ignition problem.

What is the compression on this engine?

No need to pull valve cover. Pull #1 spark plug. Put long skinny screwdriver in hole. Hand crank til screwdriver moves. You will be close to the line in flywheel window. Keep cranking just a bit til you hit the line. Pay no attention to dizzy while you are doing this.

Your dizzy may have never been installed right prior to you. I would put the engine at tdc then pull dizzy and follow FSM to reinstall.

Edit: also inspect dizzy guts under the dust disc which is translucent under the rotor. Are your inner workings corroded? Mine were.

No need to pull valve cover. Pull #1 spark plug. Put long skinny screwdriver in hole. Hand crank til screwdriver moves. You will be close to the line in flywheel window. Keep cranking just a bit til you hit the line. Pay no attention to dizzy while you are doing this.

Your dizzy may have never been installed right prior to you. I would put the engine at tdc then pull dizzy and follow FSM to reinstall.

Edit: also inspect dizzy guts under the dust disc which is translucent under the rotor. Are your inner workings corroded? Mine were.

Good call...will do...will report back this evening on the findings:wrench:

Thanks!
Ben

Hi Mark,

Sorry....I just realized when I took the pic I was not at TDC;(...sorry about the confusion....Will pull the valve cover tomorrow and make sure I have TDC correct...thanks for the info on the Dizzy...still seems suspect if someone removed the stocky and put in a 77...based on all the horrible ignition parts/work that was previously done on the vehicle before I got it...

Thanks,
Ben

I thought so. that did not look like tdc. paint that bb and line the etched line up with the marker on the BH and as others have said verify #1 piston is all the way up with a pinky or screwdriver.

The piston comes to top twice. You need top dead on the compression stroke .
Plug the #1 cylinder with your finger, when the piston comes to top on the compression stroke you'll be able to feel the air escape. If you watch the flywheel come around as this happens you'll be able to ascertain top dead center

Hi All, OK...verified TDC...pulled the dizzy...reinstalled per FSM (best I could figure) dizzy snapped down into place and was in the proper direction to engage oil pump slot...does this look correct now?

image-988866733.jpg

Also...now the hold down bracket doesn't quite line up perfect to re thread the mounting bolt...do I just loosen the collar bolt around the dizzy to make it line up? Then tighten it all down...sorry for the greenhorn questions...done a lot...but never a dizzy:) Thanks in advance, Ben
image-2987719909.jpg
image-988866733.jpg

OK...Let's try this photo...ipad doesn't load pics so well....:meh:

I guess I answered my own question...the rotor is pointed at the number one wire on the cap etc...

still wondering about the correct method for properly tensioning and securing the hold down bracket to the dizzy etc....please advise.

Thanks,
Ben
image-2987719909.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom