Turbo Charging a 2.8 3L Diesel Hilux - Step by Step (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.4wheeling.ca
I just spent the last month and a half on this project and it is finally complete. I posted the entire tech article on 4wheeling.ca. Its a step by step guide of what I did and went through to get that sucker on my non turbo engine. Months of prior research went in to it and the results are amazing!

For anyone interested in looking through it here is the link: http://4wheeling.ca/board/showthread.php?t=111

Enjoy!

SJ

Last edited by a moderator:
If I had a 3L, it's EXACLTY what I'd do. Real nice work Spike. I really think that the 3L-T (that's what I'll call it) would be the best of both worlds. The CT-20 turbo is obviously overcapacity for the 2LT-E, and the 2.4L engine is a little small for some highways--enough that it needs the turbo for extended periods of time on some roads--and I can easily see my mileage going down when I have to take those roads...

Real glad to find a source for the flex pipe. My 2LT-E exhaust was built with a different type, but the torque of the engine has already cracked the exhaust (after only 25,000 miles WTF?!?!), so the exhaust shop and I need to go have a date soon...

BTW Jerod: did you notice where he got the oil for the turbo from... :flipoff2:

Dan

Last edited:
I have the 2LT-II engine in my runner, with the stock CT-20 turbo and 3" exhaust. I have installed an intercooler and have tweaked the turbo up to 1,2 bars. It runs very well! With 37s I had no problem cruising around and still doing around 22-25miles per gallon.

I was going to swap to the 3litre 1KZT, but since I did a sas I didn't think it was necessary since the stock engine has enough power for offroading...

I reckon my engine has about 130ps and around 250-300 torque. You should be able to get around 170-200ps and 400 nm torque from the 1KZT.

I prefer the engines with manual and not electric adjusted diesel pumps.

I think the engine I`d really would like to have in my runner is the 15BT, 3,4liter turbocharged diesel. I have the 13B in my BJ40 and the engine has impressive low end power!

Hope you excuse my rambling... I`m Norwegian:whoops::cheers:

Thanks for all the props guys, I have not really metered my fuel usage. From what I can guess I am getting around 20 Kms less per tank now with the turbo... A small price to pay.

The oil feed came off the back of the alternator. :p

Currently I am running at 11 PSI boost (sorry I don't know what that converts to in bars) and it is running fine.

I have put probably 20 ful tanks of fuel through the engine now that it is turboed and there has not been any problems at all... I love it!

Spike:zilla:

2.8 3L Turbo Conversion

Hi! I am having trouble trying to find the article about the 2.8 3L turbo conversion. Could someone please tell me how to find it - as the links don't seem to take me to the article. Or could someone email it to me?!

Thanks!!

Anybody able to get that link open to how Spike did the conversion?

The thread/link is almost 7 years old and the OP hasn't posted anything or logged on since 2010. Dont think he's getting back to you any time soon:flipoff2:

The diesel tech section has a few good conversion threads.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom