Toyota Tools (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
full

Last edited:
Agreed. I'd buy one.

Tool Roll Content List - FJ40

The large tool rolls came with a Content list, identifying the tools and their location in the tool roll. Due to age, wear, exposure to the elements, etc. these lists are often in poor condition or missing.

Attached are replica Content lists. Two versions, based on the type of lug wrench (Wrench, hub nut box):

• 1963 and earlier, with a 2-piece, 23mm lug wrench
  • 1963 and later, with a 1-piece, 21mm lug wrench
These are replica lists, not scans, that are a close match to original FJ40 lists. Original lists had several variations of wording and style, and there are differences between FJ25 and FJ40 versions. See post #11 for the FJ25 Content list.

Printed on cream color card stock, the list would look something like this:
View attachment 1053167

Based on this original:

View attachment 1053173

Content List PDF files for the 23 mm and 21 mm versions follow.

Attachments

• Content List - 23.pdf
    296.2 KB · Views: 527
  • Content List - 21 MIJ.pdf
    281.7 KB · Views: 457
  • Content List - 21.pdf
    507.5 KB · Views: 425
Toyota Hammer - Part 1

Large tool rolls came with a ball peen hammer. It is not unusual for hammers to be missing from tool rolls, and they don't appear often on auction sites.

The early rolls had a Maruki hammer, with the Maruki logo and MARUKI on one side of the head, and #1 inside a rectangle on the other. The #1 indicates a 1 pound hammer. The smaller hammer is 1/2 pound, same Maruki mark, but with #1/2 inside the rectangle. These were not included in the tool roll.

full

full

Later rolls had the OH hammer, One Hand is the brand. The logo, an O overlaid with an H was on one side of the head, and 450g and 1, or just 1, on the other, indicating 450 grams or 1 pound. OH logos may be either stamped or forge marks. The later Toyota tool rolls feature 1 pound, forge marked hammers (bottom) exclusively. The smaller hammer (top) is 1/4 pound, marked 1/4 on the reverse.

full

The hammer was phased out of later tool kits: the medium size tool roll, and the zipper pouch kit. However, the OH hammer was still available from Toyota. The hammers in the kits did not have marked handles, later hammers had TOYOTA MOTOR in blue, and later still TOYOTA in blue on the handle.

See OEM Hammer - Part 2 for more photos and information.

While vintage Maruki and OH hammers are hard to find, new OH hammers are available both from Toyota and elsewhere. The first post describes how to order Toyota service tools, including the hammer, from Japan. The Toyota hammer, part number 09051-1C100, has the OH logo on the head and TOYOTA in blue on the handle.

OH hammers are made by Oetchi Industrial Co., Ltd., also known as O.H. Industrial Co. The company logo is the letters O and H superimposed. According to the Japanese Trademark Database, this logo was registered as a trademark in 1964.
OH Industrial -  trade mark.jpg

O.H. Industrial is located in Osaka, the company logo is prominently displayed on the building.
OH Industrial - location.jpg

Although their web site, www.ohnet.co.jp is in Japanese, it translates well using the Chrome browser.
OH Industrial - home page.jpg

The cover of their current, 44 page catalog, includes that familiar looking hammer.
OH Industrial - catalog cover.jpg

OH offers a wide selection of ball peen hammers in various sizes, materials, and handles.
The wood handle, 1 pound hammer in the tool roll is item HK-10.
OH Industrial - catalog pg20.jpg

OH hammers are available online (no affiliation). Some points to note:
  • Shipping from Japan is not insignificant and can vary widely by seller
  • Read the descriptions closely since there are several hammers that look very similar
  • Although the pictures show hammers with painted handle markings, the few I've ordered all came with the adhesive label instead.
Rakuten Global Market

Toyota Screwdrivers - Part 1

Large and medium tool rolls came with three, tang-through, wood handle screwdrivers. It is not uncommon for these to have condition issues (cracked handles, bent shanks, ground tips), or for one or more to be missing. Screwdrivers can be difficult to replace; when they do appear on auction sites, it is usually as part of a larger kit, rather than as individual items. These screwdrivers were included:
  • 150mm shaft, 8mm Slotted Tip (-)
  • 75mm shaft, 5.5mm Slotted Tip (-)
  • 100mm shaft, No. 2 Cross Head (+)
screwdrivers - toyota motor.JPG

screwdrivers - tang through.JPG

Although the cross head screwdriver looks like a Phillips drive, it is actually JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard). JIS drives are different from Phillips; while Phillips drives are designed to cam out, JIS drives are not. Using a Phillips drive on JIS screws can damage the screws. The Vessel Tools web site has additional information about JIS.

Screwdrivers in large tool rolls were marked TOYOTA MOTOR on the shank. The same wood handle screwdrivers were also included in medium tool rolls, however these were marked TOYOTA MOTOR on the ferrule. Wood handle screwdrivers were replaced in zipper bag tool kits by a plastic handle screwdriver with a 2-ended insert. Early plastic handles were clear yellow, later changed to opaque black.

Although separate screw drivers were phased out of tool kits, they are still available from Toyota. The wood handle models were initially replaced by hard plastic handle versions.

Hard Plastic 2 - cropped.jpg

(cruiserdan)

Later these were replaced by the soft grip versions available today:
  • 09041-1C530 Screwdriver, 150mm, Slotted (-)
  • 09041-1C510 Screwdriver, 75mm, Slotted (-)
  • 09041-1C120 Screwdriver, 100mm, No. 2 (+)
The current screwdrivers appear to be from the Megadora line of Vessel screwdrivers. The cross-head and large flat blade are still tang-through, and the top of the shank is hex-shaped to allow turning by wrench. The small flat blade has a knurled shank.

P1000441.JPG

Although these are excellent screwdrivers, they may not be the best replacement choice for a tool kit, for several reasons:
  • The dimensions of these replacements are different than the originals; the handles are larger and may not fit the tool roll. Additionally, while the wood handle screwdriver slides easily through the canvas loop, the soft grip holds to the inside of the canvas loop, making it difficult to insert or remove the screwdriver.
  • Since they don’t match the original screwdrivers, replacing one or two missing originals results in a mixed set.
  • Wood handle screwdrivers are better to keep that classic look of the original tool kit.
Even if the ultimate goal is a complete set of original screwdrivers, good replacements in the meantime can fill gaps in the tool kit until originals are found. Like the originals, the replacements considered below are all tools from Japan. To match original screwdrivers, replacements should have all or most of these design features:
  • Light color wood (Maple); fluted handle with six lateral grooves
  • Tang-through, with adequate end cap
  • Pinned through the ferrule
KTC (Kyoto Tool Company) supplied original tools for the tool kits; they still offer wood handle screwdrivers similar to the originals. Can you spot the replacements?

IMG_1345.JPG

From top to bottom:
  • KTC, 150mm (-)
  • Original, 150mm (-)
  • KTC, No. 2 (+)
  • Original, No. 2 (+)
  • Original, 75mm (-)
  • KTC, 75mm (-)
Although the KTC screwdrivers are close, they do not fully match the originals:
  • Ferrule is crimped, rather than pinned
  • Significantly larger end cap than original
  • 75mm slotted; handle is noticeably smaller than original
The search for replacement screwdrivers continues with review of Vessel and Top brands; see OEM Screwdrivers - Part 2 for more photos and information.

Large tool rolls came with a ball peen hammer. It is not unusual for hammers to be missing from tool rolls, and they don't appear often on auction sites.

The early rolls had a Maruki hammer, with the Maruki logo and MARUKI on one side of the head, and #1 inside a square on the other. The #1 indicates a 1 pound hammer.

Later rolls had the OH hammer, One Hand is the brand. The logo, an O overlaid with an H was on one side of the head, and 450g and 1 on the other, indicating 450 grams or 1 pound.

The hammer was phased out of later tool kits: the medium size tool roll, and the zipper pouch kit. However, the OH hammer was still available from Toyota. The hammers in the kits did not have marked handles, later hammers had TOYOTA MOTOR in blue, and later still TOYOTA in blue on the handle.

While vintage Maruki and OH hammers are hard to find, new OH hammers are available both from Toyota and elsewhere. The attachment in the first post describes how to order Toyota service tools, including the hammer, from Japan. The Toyota hammer, part number 09051-1C100, has the OH logo on the head and TOYOTA in blue on the handle.

OH hammers are made by Oetchi Industrial Co., Ltd., also known as O.H. Industrial Co. Although their web site, http://www.ohnet.co.jp/ is in Japanese, it translates well using the Chrome browser. The cover of their current, 44 page catalog, includes that familiar looking hammer.

View attachment 770597

OH offers a wide selection of ball peen hammers in various sizes, materials, and handles. The wood handle, 1 pound hammer in the tool roll is item HK-10.

View attachment 770598

OH hammers are available from several online sites (no affiliation). Some points to note:

• Shipping from Japan is not insignificant and can vary widely by seller
  • Read the descriptions closely since there are several hammers that look very similar
  • Although the pictures show hammers with painted handle markings, the few I've ordered all came with the adhesive label instead.
Japanese-Cutlery.com
Rakuten Global Market

Thanks for the info

Tool Roll Content List - FJ25

Tool Roll Content List The large tool rolls came with a Content list, identifying the tools and their location in the tool roll. Due to age, wear, exposure to the elements, etc. these lists are often in poor condition or missing.

Attached are replica Content lists. Two versions, based on the type of lug wrench (Wrench, hub nut box):

• 1963 and earlier, with a 2-piece, 23mm lug wrench
  • 1963 and later, with a 1-piece, 21mm lug wrench
These are replica lists, not scans, that are a close match to original FJ40 lists. Original lists had several variations of wording and style, and there are differences between FJ25 and FJ40 versions.

Tool Roll Content List - FJ25

The FJ25 version of the tool roll Content list is attached. This is a replica based on an original posted by Cruiser_Nerd. There may be other variations of wording and style, and there are differences between FJ25 and FJ40 versions. See prior post #4 for FJ40 versions.

Based on this original

FJ25 Content list
View attachment 773187

Attachments

• Content List - FJ25.pdf
    321.9 KB · Views: 367
Those are definitely Vessel screwdrivers , I own a few and by far my favorite ones out of the 30 or so I own currently . For overall use , especially on anything Japanese they just rule - even beating out some German and Swiss made units costing twice that of the Vessel tools . Good info , plan to order a few of the tools from Toyota for my '77's kit ....
Sarge

Large tool rolls came with three, tang-through, wood handle screwdrivers. It is not uncommon for these to have condition issues (cracked handles, bent shafts, ground tips), or for one or more to be missing. Screwdrivers can be difficult to replace; when they do appear on auction sites, it is usually as part of a larger kit, rather than as individual items. These screwdrivers were included:

• 150mm shaft, 8mm Slotted Tip (-)
  • 75mm shaft, 5.5mm Slotted Tip (-)
  • 100mm shaft, No. 2 Cross Head (+)
Although the cross head screwdriver looks like a Phillips drive, it is actually JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard). JIS drives are different from Phillips; while Phillips drives are designed to cam out, JIS drives are not. Using a Phillips drive on JIS screws can damage the screws. The Vessel Tools web site has additional information about JIS.

Screwdrivers in large tool rolls were marked TOYOTA MOTOR on the shaft. The same wood handle screwdrivers were also included in medium tool rolls, however these were marked TOYOTA MOTOR on the ferrule. Wood handle screwdrivers were replaced in zipper bag tool kits by a plastic handle screwdriver with a 2-ended insert. Early plastic handles were clear yellow, later changed to opaque black.

Although separate screw drivers were phased out of tool kits, they are still available from Toyota. The wood handle models were initially replaced by hard plastic handle versions.

View attachment 771512

Later these were replaced by the soft grip versions available today:

• 09041-1C530 Screwdriver, 150mm, Slotted (-)
  • 09041-1C510 Screwdriver, 75mm, Slotted (-)
  • 09041-1C120 Screwdriver, 100mm, No. 2 (+)
The current screwdrivers appear to be from the Megadora line of Vessel screwdrivers. The cross-head and large flat blade are still tang-through, and the top of the shafts are hex-shaped to allow turning by wrench. The small flat blade has a knurled shaft.

View attachment 771513

Although these are excellent screwdrivers, they may not be the best replacement choice for a tool kit, for several reasons:

• The dimensions of these replacements are different than the originals; the handles are larger and may not fit the tool roll. Additionally, while the wood handle screwdriver slides easily through the canvas loop, the soft grip holds to the inside of the canvas loop, making it difficult to insert or remove the screwdriver.
  • Since they don’t match the original screwdrivers, replacing one or two missing originals results in a mixed set.
  • Wood handle screwdrivers are better to keep that classic look of the original tool kit.
Even if the ultimate goal is a complete set of original screwdrivers, good replacements in the meantime can fill gaps in the tool kit until originals are found. Like the originals, the replacements considered below are all tools from Japan. To match original screwdrivers, replacements should have all or most of these design features:

• Light color wood (Maple); fluted handle with six lateral grooves
  • Tang-through, with adequate end cap
  • Pinned through the ferrule
KTC (Kyoto Tool Company) supplied the original tools for the tool kits; they still offer wood handle screwdrivers similar to the originals. Can you spot the replacements?

View attachment 771514

From top to bottom:

• KTC, 150mm (-)
  • Original, 150mm (-)
  • KTC, No. 2 (+)
  • Original, No. 2 (+)
  • Original, 75mm (-)
  • KTC, 75mm (-)
Although the KTC screwdrivers are close, they do not fully match the originals:

• Ferrule is crimped, rather than pinned
  • Significantly larger end cap than original
  • 75mm slotted; handle is noticeably smaller than original
The search for replacement screwdrivers continues with review of Vessel, Top, and Annex brands; this post will be updated with additional findings.

Sweet thread, great info...thanks!

Reproduction Tool Roll

I'm looking to reproduce the original tool roll if no one else is doing this and make it available at a hopefully reasonable cost. The problem is I do not have an original to use as a pattern. Would anyone be willing to loan me theirs to create the pattern? If someone IS reproducing these please let me know. I'll just buy one.

G.

What do you think a ball park figure would be for a price if not to ridiculous I would buy one, keep me posted well thought out. Best

What do you think a ball park figure would be for a price if not to ridiculous I would buy one, keep me posted well thought out. Best

Too early to tell - I don't have pricing on ANYTHING but I don't think there would be much interest if you couldn't keep it reasonable. I would not be selling the tools - just the canvas.

I'm actually getting close to having these available now! I'm working on two versions, one that is going to be as faithful a representation as I can make, which will be kind of spendy at $90-100 each, and I figure is really only for the sticklers & concourse resto guys, and then one that will be a more of a work roll, that will be affordable, and look the part, but one that people won't mind actually throwing into the truck & using. I'm almost ready to go on the nice one now.
Best,
Abe

I'm actually getting close to having these available now! I'm working on two versions, one that is going to be as faithful a representation as I can make, which will be kind of spendy at $90-100 each, and I figure is really only for the sticklers & concourse resto guys, and then one that will be a more of a work roll, that will be affordable, and look the part, but one that people won't mind actually throwing into the truck & using. I'm almost ready to go on the nice one now.
Best,
Abe

I'm happy to hear this and I would buy either version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom