A442F vs. A343F (yes, again) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It is interesting to me that many A442F'ers on this board take pride in referring to their transmission as a "bus tranny", but nobody has been able to post ANY evidence that it was actually used in any sort of bus. The same people refer to the A343F as the "4Runner tranny", but NO MODEL of 4Runner has ever used the A343F- the 4Runner used the A340F, which was also used on the S/C Previa Alltrac. If you are merely going by the fact that the "model numbers sound close", keep in mind that the 93-98 Supra uses the A341E tranny, which I doubt has much in common with the 4Runner's A340F. And if you like the A442F better because it is a "higher model number", keep in mind that the 94-98 Camry uses an A541E tranny, and the "mighty" 96-98 RAV4 uses an A540H! Just trying to separate fact from fiction when it comes to this issue!

Alaska,

Chill out dude. (hee hee... git it? .. Alaska... chill... hee hee)

Seriously, 99% of the bantering on the trannies is good natured. I don't think any of us that bring up the topic really think there is enough difference between the two to get worked up about.

Bottom line is that both transmissions are more than capable for our 80 series. Some of us wish the 5 speed manual was available but, to be honest, most of us wouldn't buy it even if it *was* available. The auto is very nice for daily driving and superb for rock crawling.

-B-

Agreed,

Transmission banter is entertainment. Both are fine units. The 343 does share some of the internal components with transmissions used in 4runners, Previas, Cressidas and Supras. The main case is shared by the S/C Previa. The 440/442 was limited to Cruisers in North America.

22Sep2003 (UTC -7)

I "seem" to recall that the A440 is the tranny fitted to a Toyota Coaster ( a mini-bus bigger than a Ford E-350 van, but smaller than a Greyhound bus). But in any case, it was the auto-tranny fitted on turbo-diesel'ed 80-series, while the A343 was mated with the 1FZ-FE. This was the basis for many to conclude that the A442 is "stronger" than the A343.

*Trivia: The "world's fastest Land Cruiser" has a stock auto tranny, mated to a 740 hp / 822.13 ft.lb 1FZ-FE. I just don't know if it's an A442 or A343 though.

I would not worry about the tranny's. I would about the motors. We have never seen a broken tranny in the shop. Also they are cheaper to replace than the motor. Motors and head gaskets. Now that is another story.

Also, we have a "bus" tranny and transfercase for sale. Shout if interested.

[quote author=sleeoffroad link=board=2;threadid=5535;start=msg43871#msg43871 date=1064271629] Motors and head gaskets. Now that is another story.
[/quote]

Great, the Wulf is gonna freak out now.......... :rolleyes:

Damn ticking and twitching started up again. It's like someone sticking pins in a voo doo doll.
-B-

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=5535;start=msg43829#msg43829 date=1064266656]
If the grill is any indication, it would be a 343 ;)
[/quote]

Kurt, I think not. I believe the 442 remained as the auto tranny for the rest of the world's 80s even after the 343 came in for north america alone. In fact I think it's still in use in the venezualan 80's built today. Am I right Dan??

It is good natured fun, alaska, and I have posted several times to find out what "bus" the 442 came out of. The closest I have seen is a reference to it being used in the Toyota Dyna which is a medium duty truck cab and chassis that looks like it probably could be used for an airporter/school bus conversion.

Now about that lack of engine braking on 343's causing the premature rotor failure in 95-97's, I haven't heard any denials from B-wulf on this so I assume it's true ;).

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=5535;start=msg43829#msg43829 date=1064266656]
[/quote]

Only in the USA.

>> I haven't heard any denials from B-wulf <<

Umm... Huh? I dunno, I deny everything.

;)

-B-

That is it, the DynaCoaster Bus. They are about 30 passenger buses. I rode in one in YAP a few years ago. Diesel :)

Being the owner of two of the big bus trannies, I feel there is little to brag about. I actually felt as though the 97 A343 shifted better and provided more power than the 94. It seems to let the motor hold the rpms longer.

The A450 is used in some UD trucks as well as some Isuzu Big Trucks (NPRs) and it is huge compared to the A440.

is the a343 interchangable with the a442f

got a bad tranny in a series 80 and need to replace... I am in St LUCIA IN THE CARIBBEAN... so can only access US trannys...

Question... is the a343 interchangeable with the a442f

1990 Landcruiser 4.2 td

got a bad tranny in a series 80 and need to replace... I am in St LUCIA IN THE CARIBBEAN... so can only access US trannys... Question... is the a343 interchangeable with the a442f 1990 Landcruiser 4.2 td

The diesel 4.2 never came with the A343F.

You need to find an A442F.

My recommendation is Wholesale Automatics in Australia.

That is it, the DynaCoaster Bus. They are about 30 passenger buses. I rode in one in YAP a few years ago. Diesel :)

Being the owner of two of the big bus trannies, I feel there is little to brag about. I actually felt as though the 97 A343 shifted better and provided more power than the 94. It seems to let the motor hold the rpms longer.

The A450 is used in some UD trucks as well as some Isuzu Big Trucks (NPRs) and it is huge compared to the A440.

I saw the write up my Fromage in regards to building a hybrid transmission from the A442 and the A450- and the two transmissions are very close in size and some parts are interchangeable.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/401163-mitsubishi-4d34-3at3b-diesel-swap-into-94-fzj80-5.html

ASTR does a pretty good write up too on the two... very similiar!

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/268941-isuzu-4he1tc-into-fj62.html

Last edited:
I saw the write up my Fromage in regards to building a hybrid transmission from the A442 and the A450- and the two transmissions are very close in size and some parts are interchangeable.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/401163-mitsubishi-4d34-3at3b-diesel-swap-into-94-fzj80-5.html

A very interesting concept that may make it easier to mount a 4BD1T into a 93/94 cruiser.

I note that our pal Jeremy is currently having turbo fitment issues, and that the Almaras kit moves angles the engine 7 degrees off center for turbo clearance reasons.

of course, I'm no engineer, so i dunno if that's a matter of the angle of the motor mounts or an angle to the bell housing adapter.

Kurt, I think not. I believe the 442 remained as the auto tranny for the rest of the world's 80s even after the 343 came in for north america alone. In fact I think it's still in use in the venezualan 80's built today. Am I right Dan??

It is good natured fun, alaska, and I have posted several times to find out what "bus" the 442 came out of. The closest I have seen is a reference to it being used in the Toyota Dyna which is a medium duty truck cab and chassis that looks like it probably could be used for an airporter/school bus conversion.

Now about that lack of engine braking on 343's causing the premature rotor failure in 95-97's, I haven't heard any denials from B-wulf on this so I assume it's true ;).[/QUOTE]

the bus is the toyota coaster, same engine, 1hz or 1hd-t or 1hz e or 1 hd-te engines in it. transmission A440 or 442F, same like the 60 series trany use also A440. for me better than manual. no clutch slip/broke, no synchromeschrings broke down evry 150.000km, special 2de gear.

Now about that lack of engine braking on 343's causing the premature rotor failure in 95-97's, I haven't heard any denials from B-wulf on this so I assume it's true ;).

the bus is the toyota coaster, same engine, 1hz or 1hd-t or 1hz e or 1 hd-te engines in it. transmission A440 or 442F, same like the 60 series trany use also A440. for me better than manual. no clutch slip/broke, no synchromeschrings broke down evry 150.000km, special 2de gear.[/QUOTE]
some say also the auto from toyo supra is the same.

When people said I had a "bus tranny" I always thought they had heard about that one time in Mexico... :banana::doh:

I like my bus tranny and tractor motor in my 92 80...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom