Seeking expert advice on damaged hub gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I located a set of tall body ASCO hubs but one of them has a large chip missing from outer edge of the hub gear. It doesn't appear to interfer with the splines but is located where the lock ring rides, so my concern is that under the right conditions the lock ring may pop out or bind?? Any expert opinions whether this is still useable?

Edit: top photo shows the damaged hub, bottom photo is a good hub gear to show the lock ring groove.

Cracked ASCO hub gear.jpg

DSC02741.JPG

Last edited:
To bad that part is probably unobtainium.

That is why I do not use old Aisin hubs anymore

I am sure you can use it but 50% of that snap ring flange is gone.

Wish I was more help

Yeah, the 50% missing chip is the problem, if it were a smaller piece missing I wouldn't be that much concerned but with 50% missing my fear is the lock ring might jump out of it's groove. I do have one hub already, that's where I got the good hub gear, so I suppose one hub out of three could be used for spare parts.

This is a tall body ASCO manual hub for SFA FJ-55 and FJ/BJ-4x series Landcruisers only used between 1975-1978. They also will fit on mid 95-97 full-time 4WD FZJ-80's which use a longer birfield CV joint. The hub and the hub gear is taller than compared say to a FJ-60 AISIN hub. Here's a photo from another thread comparing tall ASCO hub parts to short(er) hub parts.

ASCO tall hub gear compared to AISIN short hub gear.jpg

Last edited:
Like Kernal said different parts that can no longer get

Even for the regular Aisin hubs alot of the smaller parts are no longer available except for the hubs gears

I have a bunch of worn out Aisin hub parts that are no good any more, got tired of trying to find good hubs and swapping parts. The big problem I had was the brass bushing that the hub gear sits in, no longer available and wears out especially on hubs that are 20 years old.

They are great hubs but are not worth hassle for me any more.

I went with Warn premium hubs, all parts are replaceable and fully rebuidlable with new available parts
They are not Aisins but they get the job done.

I do carry an Aisin hub or two for spares in case of trail breakage.

Thanks for the feedback.

Short body info ->[STRIKE]Just replace the gear with the Just Differential's part above or the Longfield piece. Easy-peasy. If you need any other pieces call Trail Tough in Medford Oregon, they have buckets of used hub parts and a wall of new parts also.[/STRIKE]

Matt

Last edited:
Just replace the gear with the Just Differential's part above or the Longfield piece.

They're not long enough. The hub gear in a long bodied hub is longer than any other known Toyota and, as far as I can tell, longer than any other known Asco/Aisin product.

http://aisinaftermarket.com/uploads/bf6u61qy_1254515941_en.pdf

Search the part number listed for "FJ", then modify the request to 76 WAG, it'll result superseded part numbers that continue into oblivion, but don't correlate with any other Aisin part number.

I've been attempting to find new Aisin guts for a long bodied hub for around a month, and they don't exist, even outside the US for the 80, as far as I can tell.

Not certain, but thinking non-US 80s may have used the shorter birfs, because the part numbers don't correlate to any of the longer bodied ASCOs.

Someone prove me wrong, please.

Side note: box is full and on iPhone, so a task to clear out.

Kernal,

Hadn't forgotten. Haven't had a seconds time, but by all appearances they are the same and originally intended for a Toyota Blizzard.

Same issue though with there being no source for hub gear, but thinking the rest would transfer over relatively easily.

Could always move the C clip in and run regular hubs.

Last edited:
Oopsie, I didn't even realise the fact that it was a long body. All my info was for the short body that I used.

Matt

They're not long enough. The hub gear in a long bodied hub is longer than any other known Toyota and, as far as I can tell, longer than any other known Asco/Aisin product.

http://aisinaftermarket.com/uploads/bf6u61qy_1254515941_en.pdf

Search the part number listed for "FJ", then modify the request to 76 WAG, it'll result superseded part numbers that continue into oblivion, but don't correlate with any other Aisin part number.

I've been attempting to find new Aisin guts for a long bodied hub for around a month, and they don't exist, even outside the US for the 80, as far as I can tell.

Not certain, but thinking non-US 80s may have used the shorter birfs, because the part numbers don't correlate to any of the longer bodied ASCOs.

Someone prove me wrong, please.

Side note: box is full and on iPhone, so a task to clear out.

Kernal,

Hadn't forgotten. Haven't had a seconds time, but by all appearances they are the same and originally intended for a Toyota Blizzard.

Same issue though with there being no source for hub gear, but thinking the rest would transfer over relatively easily.

Could always move the C clip in and run regular hubs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom