ok to drive with no Front driveshaft? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Either shift it into low range (not good for a long trip unless you want it to take a really long time) or press the CDL button, if you have one. They weren't installed by default on a 1996, so you'll have to buy a switch, or give up your hazard lights and use the hazard switch, plugged into the CDL harness plug. Google "fzj80 cdl switch".

Geof

Not to sidestep your question, but ujoints are cheap and easy to replace.

Pat

The missing 30A fuse in the lower right of the fuse box is the one you remove:

Fuse box cover dash.jpg

Fuse box missing Diff Lock 30amp fuse.JPG

Will it reset if the car is shut off?

Geof

It will stay as long as the fuse is out. To unlock, simply replace the fuse.

If you don't lock it, you will smoke your coupler in no time :eek:

I believe my VC is seized, but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the above statement (I am not attacking you) It seems to me, if the front driveshaft is removed then the front and rear output flanges of the transfer case are moving at the same rate all the time, and not different rates, which is the cause of a seized VC...

can someone enlighten me?

One thing that few people mention is that you may notice it's a bit more wandery on the road without a front driveshaft. Alignment of AWD vehicles is different than RWD vehicles (I think the toe is basically "zero") but you may not notice if you're mostly stock.

driving my truck without the front driveshaft is just dangerous , 44" tires and 18" wide wheels , it wanders enough as it is.. have had to remove the front shaft and drive it when I was regearing and didn't have time to change out both diffs at the same time, and it was scary driving it, was very loose

I believe my VC is seized, but I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the above statement (I am not attacking you) It seems to me, if the front driveshaft is removed then the front and rear output flanges of the transfer case are moving at the same rate all the time, and not different rates, which is the cause of a seized VC...

can someone enlighten me?

Ever driven on ice? The tire with the least traction gets the power and spins without helping you get anywhere.

No driveshaft is the same thing, no resistance and all the power will try to go out the front.

The viscous coupling just tries to slow that effect down and generates heat while doing so. Short term, not a big deal. Long term-big heat buildup and failure.

When the center diff is locked then both front and rear spin at equal rates regardless of load. That's why it's required to lock the center diff if you want to drive without either a front or rear driveshaft (but not both ;) ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom