Rear diff fluid change- Look what I found (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I would share this. The drain plug was stripped pretty bad so I had to weld a nut on so I could get the plug out. When it came out it looked like this:

62E33E26-DED7-483F-89A3-764594A0AA0C-518-0000010789525BE3_zps3ab6f8b9.jpg

Plus the magnet can spin around and around, but it does not come out. Guess its a good thing I was going to replace the plug anyways.

Compared to a new one:

73B65221-D1E6-4DF5-BA46-2C5D4EE0F3ED-518-0000010792E62479_zps4c3d965a.jpg

Do you guys think perhaps me welding the nut on caused the magnet to do that? It looked like its been that way for awhile based upon the debris on it.

Last edited:
Hard to say. If it was that badly man-handled before it could have been damaged by whomever did the previous maintenance. Or I suppose you induced enough magnetic field when welding to repel the rare earth magnet partially. Either way, good job on getting it out and replaced.

But the real question is how the heck do you keep your hands that clean working on the truck??? :)

Hard to say. If it was that badly man-handled before it could have been damaged by whomever did the previous maintenance. Or I suppose you induced enough magnetic field when welding to repel the rare earth magnet partially. Either way, good job on getting it out and replaced.

But the real question is how the heck do you keep your hands that clean working on the truck??? :)

I was surprised that the diff fluid actually looked pretty good. Especially when the transfer case looked pretty bad. I only run Amsoil so first thing I did was change all the fluids when I got her.

I was only changing the diff fluid this time so its pretty easy to keep clean. Either that or I am a ninja.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom