Tire thoughts? Toyo Open Country AT II (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, I'm a newbie to the forum (my first post :confused:) and am a new FJ62 owner. It's a stock '89 with 168K miles on it and I'm looking into new tires. I'm thinking of moving up to 31x10.5x15 tires from the stock P235/75/15 that I have on it right now. I'm wondering if anyone's running Toyo Open Country AT II and if so, do you like them or regret the purchase? I'm also considering the classic BFG AT KO.

Down the road I plan on upgrading to OME (light setup); so are 31" tires the right way to go? I want to keep it fairly stock looking, plan on using it as daily driver (mainly on-road city/highway driving; occasional trip to the ski slopes).

Appreciate your thoughts! Thanks.

As like anything else on this forum this material has been covered a thousand times. I don't mind answering you though :)

31's on stock suspension will work well, and look good stock. Transitioning to an OME suspension (even the "light" spring) will leave it looking a little doofy. A lot of space in the fender wells. 33's fit better.

Tires. I've heard good things about the Open Country MT. The AT is probably just as good. I have BFG AT and have been very happy with them.

From what you said in the second paragraph. I'd suggest you add a leaf (AAL) to your spring packs. Less lift than OME, less money out of pocket for you, 31's would work and get you anywhere you need to go.

Search in the 60 series section for "add a leaf" or "AAL" Gonna have to read a lot so grab your beverage of choice :beer:

AND WELCOME TO MUD :flipoff2: <--- Official IH8MUD Welcome

I have the toyos open country a/t's on my truck in 31" guise but the truck has an unknown ome lift. they do perform very well and i have no complaints. they are also very quiet, not that i could hear them over the engine noise though. lol. i recommend them they are great. see my signature for pictures

I am very satisfied with my Toyo M/Ts, best tire I've run. Needed very little weight to balance, fabulous traction, very tough sidewalls, good wear on the road. Much better all around than BFGs...

springcreek8262012 177.jpg

X2 with Pighead. I run two sets, one on my 62 and another set on my Chevy. Both sets are 35's and they are the best brand of tires, I've ever run.

From what you said in the second paragraph. I'd suggest you add a leaf (AAL) to your spring packs. Less lift than OME, less money out of pocket for you, 31's would work and get you anywhere you need to go.

Thanks for the tips on the lift and tire size appearance, as well as the AAL route with the suspension. Oh and thanks for the forum welcoming :)

I have the toyos open country a/t's on my truck in 31" guise but the truck has an unknown ome lift. they do perform very well and i have no complaints. they are also very quiet, not that i could hear them over the engine noise though. lol. i recommend them they are great. see my signature for pictures
Thanks for the input on the Open Country's. I tried to look at your signature photos, but all I could find are pics with Dunlops. Probably a newbie issue but still trying to work out how to navigate the forum.

@Pighead and @rrr333: Glad to hear you're both liking Toyos. I appreciate the thoughts on the MTs. I just saw a truck drive by me yesterday with the MTs. Looked great and pretty mean! I'll probably keep mine a little less aggressive, thus the ATs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom