My 87 FJ-60 will not idle.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
My 87 FJ-60 sat for almost a year with a blown head gasket. It was put back together in July, and I have been driving it since. I know that the carb probably could use a good cleaning/rebuild, so I sent a spare carb out to Jim to have him work his magic on it. But the truck has been running ok, perhaps with a bit of a rough idle/surging idle. I also put a new gas filter in the truck.
Today I used the truck for a 25 mile drive, and it idled ok. I parked it for about 40 minutes, and now it won't idle. It seems to run fine once it's rolling, but will not idle at all. I checked the idle control plug on the carb, and the wires seem tight.
I assume that this is carb related, and probably will go away once I get the rebuilt carb back from Jim, but it is a pain to drive right now. Any ideas on what might have happened in that 40 minutes that it was parked?

Thanks,
Zack

The usual:

Did you check the ICS for a click-click ? KOEO ?

The usual:

Did you check the ICS for a click-click ? KOEO ?

How do I check the ICS (idle control solenoid, right??)? Is the ICS on the carb? It seems odd that it just went bad from the truck sitting for 40 minutes.

Thanks,
Zack

My 60 is so strange....out of the blue it just started to idle again with no issues. I took it to work on Tuesday and at the first stop sign it stalled out, I restarted it and drove another 3 miles and it had been fine since. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Zack

I had something similar happen to me once where bebe started idling real rough and nasty (this was before I desmogged) but when driving she had GREAT power. Only thing I can think of is that something was clogging one of the jets when it would idle but was free when running. If you still have your smog stuff check the EGR to see if it is clogged or there is weird carbon build up.

Do a search for ICS. If it's intermittent, and you still have the emissions computer, and the ICS wire has not been cut and attached to the carb, I'd look at that (computer) first.

Do a search for ICS. If it's intermittent, and you still have the emissions computer, and the ICS wire has not been cut and attached to the carb, I'd look at that (computer) first.

I am desmogged but I am not sure about the emissions computer or the ICS wire. I searched but can't seem to find threads about this. So the issues I am dealing with may or may not be solved by a full carb rebuild ?

Thanks,
Zack

get seafoam
disconnect the fuel line before the fuel pump and suck in some sea foam through the fuel pump to send it in the carb. after many strugles with mine and replacing and renewing all items under the hood i ended up seafoaming the thing and shes like new. do check the ics first. good luck

Spike are you talking about the green wire mod? Or is that something else?

Also, may want to detach the ICS and clean it with brake cleaner like Aussie did a while back. I have yet to get to mine but having the next few days off may help with that.

I am desmogged but I am not sure about the emissions computer or the ICS wire. I searched but can't seem to find threads about this. So the issues I am dealing with may or may not be solved by a full carb rebuild ?
Thanks,
Zack

Yes, it may or may not be solved :D

An easy way to rule out possible idle issue is to apply 12v directly to the ICS - 12v to green wire, ground the white. If you can hear the click of the solenoid, it's working. Then clip the white wire and crimp a spade on it and secure under an airhorn screw. There are pix of this around.

If the issue goes away, you've found it. If not, the carb should prolly vacation at Jim C's house for 5-6 weeks. :D

Spike are you talking about the green wire mod? Or is that something else?

Also, may want to detach the ICS and clean it with brake cleaner like Aussie did a while back. I have yet to get to mine but having the next few days off may help with that.

Dunno why they call it the green wire mod, it's the white that needs to be grounded, so when the ign is on, ICS is constantly energized, and open.

It's a simple work around to a misbehaving emissions box or desmog.

Sounds more like trash floating around in the carb that lands on the idle jets. Pull the bowl drains on the front of the carb and flush with carb cleaner. Reinstall the drain bolts and see if things improve. Parking the truck with the nose downhill will help get stuff to drain out of the carb while you are doing the cleaning process.

Nick

Well the good news for me is that I have a carb at Jim's shop getting rebuilt now, so the current carb will be swapped out when I get the rebuilt one back. I will then send this carb over to visit Jim!

Zack

My old carb just returned from vacation in balmy Lancaster, OH. I can't wait to drive my truck with the new carb!

Zack

11-24 033.jpg

11-24 034.jpg

11-24 035.jpg

Zack,
I would be interested in your current carb should you want to sell it. Currently have a Holley, not quite digging it.
Adam G

Yes, that carb looks well rested. Now it needs to get back to work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom