Headed to Munich (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GarnerFJ40

2020-2022 ONSC President
Threads
Anyone been? I'll be there for the beginning of Oktoberfest, September 20-23, and am looking for general advice on the area. I'll meet up with some co-workers who are in Germany to inspect our new packaging line being built by Bosch.

Finally a well timed business trip, along with enough hotel and airline points to make it a near free trip...

I just have to pay for beer... :D:beer:

Anyone been?

14 years ago to Munich but not during the fest

Almost went to Berlin during Oktoberfest 10 years ago and would have caught a train to Munich but I ended up in Prague instead.

The architecture, stuff that survived the war and the newer stuff, is amazing.

There are a crap ton of museums, BMW is housed there with the BMW experience and museum.

I can't really remember the names of all the places I went.

Tons of great beer halls/breweries

The two I remember are Hofbrauhaus and lowenbraukeller

But I imagine with Oktoberfest going on there is really only one thing you will be doing :beer:

PS i'm jealous the atmosphere in Germany teamed with Kraut, Brauts, super hot mustard and a great german kolsch, dunkel or lager is hard to beat.

Last edited:
I'm requesting a jar of Lowensenf extra hot if you can swing it..... love that mustard

Make sure you try the roasted oxen at the fest.

I'm going to need to resort to google to look up the names of the museums and castles I visited..... all long hard to pronounce German names

Ooooohhhhh....jealous! I have been to Munich, but it was during December. I agree Hofbrauhaus is great, but during Oktoberfest, it will probably be ridiculously crowded (as it always is) and there will be plenty of beer gardens to go to. Eat lots of pretzels and brats! We went to the Ratskeller right on the main square under the new town hall....the food was incredible! You MUST buy some lederhosen too! My good friend actually went last year and may be there when you are again. I will ask him for any advice he has and let you know.

If you want to see castles and have the time for a day trip, Neuschwanstein was my favorite. Pretty incredible. Nymphenburg Palace is on the outskirts fo Munich and was pretty amazing as well.

Last edited:
That place is a blast during that time. Went there a few time during fest. See all the castles you can man. Make sure you know how to ask for one beer with your hand. You might end up with 2 beers. Not always a bad thing. I had a blast in Bavaria. I would like to go back just to see the changes since I was last there over 20 years ago.

If you want to see castles and have the time for a day trip, Neuschwanstein was my favorite.

My father was stationed near there many decades ago and still swears there's a painting of his grandfather hanging up in a corridor somewhere. He made repeated trips to see it while there but any photo he may have taken has been lost to history.

I grew up with a large oil painting of the castle in our living room. I'll get to see the real thing one day.

--john

My father was stationed near there many decades ago and still swears there's a painting of his grandfather hanging up in a corridor somewhere. He made repeated trips to see it while there but any photo he may have taken has been lost to history.

I grew up with a large oil painting of the castle in our living room. I'll get to see the real thing one day.

--john

That's really cool! It is a bit touristy but worth it as the inside is crazy...there's a room that looks like a cave-fake rocks and all. The guy who built it was a nut apparently! You'll either have to hike up the mountain or pay to be driven up in a carriage. I have a beautiful drawing of it hanging in my living room too! I hope you make it there John! A pic for those who haven't seen it...it was the model for Cinderella's castle at Disney. Also, just a little taste of what you are in for in Munich....this was after we went to Hofbrauhaus and made friends with some Germans...I don't really recall the taking of this picture haha :cheers:
neuschwanstein.jpg
munich.jpg

neuschwanstein.jpg

munich.jpg

That's really cool! It is a bit touristy but worth it as the inside is crazy...there's a room that looks like a cave-fake rocks and all. The guy who built it was a nut apparently! You'll either have to hike up the mountain or pay to be driven up in a carriage. I have a beautiful drawing of it hanging in my living room too! I hope you make it there John! A pic for those who haven't seen it...it was the model for Cinderella's castle at Disney. Also, just a little taste of what you are in for in Munich....this was after we went to Hofbrauhaus and made friends with some Germans...I don't really recall the taking of this picture haha :cheers:
View attachment 793025
View attachment 793026

That's the one right there. I have tons of pics of it but this was before widespread digital cameras so they are all on actual had copy picture relics :doh:

There are others i'll try to remember.

Just remember to soak up the fest, nothing like it anywhere in the world

I think they are projecting 7 million liters of beer for this year.

Also while you can see this at almost any beer hall in Germany. It is still impressive to me how many gigantoid beer mugs small beer girls can carry.

oktoberfest_06.jpg

That's marriage material right there :hillbilly:

I'm requesting a jar of Lowensenf extra hot if you can swing it..... love that mustard

Wait. It comes in jars?
Extra sharf please :D

Have fun man. I have nothing to add except drink one for me!

image-761603477.jpg

Never seen that in a paste roll before.

Brian you can cancel my order anyway. World Market just started carrying it down here so I picked some up last night.

I've been to Munich a few times, it's an awesome city! If you're not in the city center, just take the train to Marienplatz, go out to street level, and you'll be amazed - so much to see and do. Aside from everything mentioned above, know that Bavaria & Munich is largely Catholic so on Sunday most everything except restaurants is closed.

At lunch (even on work days/with coworkers), it's perfectly fine to have a beer; radler is the lunch drink of choice it seems.

Schweinehaxe makes for a nice meal!

Visit the English Gardens. :)

I've been to Munich a few times, it's an awesome city! If you're not in the city center, just take the train to Marienplatz, go out to street level, and you'll be amazed - so much to see and do. Aside from everything mentioned above, know that Bavaria & Munich is largely Catholic so on Sunday most everything except restaurants is closed.

At lunch (even on work days/with coworkers), it's perfectly fine to have a beer; radler is the lunch drink of choice it seems.

Schweinehaxe makes for a nice meal!

Visit the English Gardens. :)

You were the man I was waiting to hear from. I'll have to make a list of all the places to visit, but I was going to visit the English Garden anyway (not too far from the hotel) and becuase of this:

http://xgames.espn.go.com/scene/article/9408416/surf-eisbach-munich-urban-river-wave

Looks like I'll be needing this info too...got offered a free plane ticket and free place to stay in Munich for Oktoberfest so I'll be there weekend of Oct 5th! :clap: How could anyone say no to that offer! Brian, you'll have to give me some info when you get back on stuff to do.

Also while you can see this at almost any beer hall in Germany. It is still impressive to me how many gigantoid beer mugs small beer girls can carry.

Like this? :lol: Figured y'all would get a kick out of this pic. I will admit, this was super heavy and the servers carried WAY more than this!
photo-10.jpg

photo-10.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom