transmission shift patterns (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, I'll be the first to ask, what tranny are we talking about?

Since you asked about weights, I'll have to assume that you are talking about a hydraulic tranny with a pressure governor. In that case, shaving or drilling the weights would cause the tranny to shift later than normal due to the lack of mass and centrifugal force opening the governor valve and transferring pressure to whatever shift valve is next to shift.

I have thought about adding weight to my governor weights to get the tranny to shift sooner to better suit my diesel conversions, but haven't yet because it is a bunch of work to put my splitcase transfer onto my auto trannys and them mount them to the truck and then if it doesn't work, i have to pull it out and try again. That has been the only thing holding me back so far. I think it will work, I just haven't had the time to try it yet and I don't really know how much weight to start with.

Don

Exactly longbow.I want to hold the gear so thinking drilling .I made a common mistake of lowering my stall speed for early lockup, but I don't have a 4th gear barely ,and my shifts are to early and smooth. So I want to hold the gear longer and firmer .I know its a bit odd but wondering if someone knew what weight removal worked best ,or if there were some other tricks to do this. Pretty common on domestics. Could you not just lower the stall in your converter to get your results.

George I have a A440f govoner that has the higher lockup (lighter flyweights) i would trade you for your A442f govoner.

Jeremy's governor would raise your shift points if you have a full hydraulic A442F.

You guys are confusing me though. Lockup and shift points are two different things. If you lowered your stall speed on your converter, it would have no effect on your lockup of your converter or your shift points. Lowering stall in your converter will make it more efficient but also increase the need to hold your brake pedal at intersections due to the increased torque being applied to the transmission.

Lockup timing is controlled by the Lockup signal valve. It balances line pressure versus governor pressure. When governor pressure overcomes the spring in the valve and line pressure, it locks up the converter. If want earlier lockup, you can reduce the length of this spring slightly by about a coil and a half to bring lockup on earlier. Don't go any shorter than 1.885" in length though.

Another way you can increase your shift points is you can adjust your kickdown cable a little tighter and this will increase your shift points. You can only go so far with this though because you don't want to be pressing the throttle and having it kickdown at half throttle. I would probably try this first as your cable may be out of adjustment already and that may be all it needs.

Instead of drilling or shaving the governor weight, you could also increase the spring tension of the governor spring by adding washers. I would probably try this as apposed to shaving since if you go too far it will be reversable.

Don

When I lower red my converter stall speed it basically just took 4th gear away now I get overdrive at 57 kmph. My trans.shift points are so quick I'm barely moving then it shifts to 2nd then 3rd not long after. Would be nice if it revd a little longer in each gear. I'll try tightening up my cable more ,before anything. Your saying swapping the a440 governer is higher holding shift points and can just swap. Is this more so with the Gasser a440 than the deisel a440? Jeremy I'll know in a couple days about the parts I might be getting and will work something out in your favour with you. I'm thinking if I rework the v/b that should firm the shifts up,then its changing the shift points is what my goal is . Have you rerouted the the 4 the gear lockup to 3rd gear for lockup in 3rd on your v/b?

When I lower red my converter stall speed it basically just took 4th gear away now I get overdrive at 57 kmph. My trans.shift points are so quick I'm barely moving then it shifts to 2nd then 3rd not long after. Would be nice if it revd a little longer in each gear. I'll try tightening up my cable more ,before anything. Your saying swapping the a440 governer is higher holding shift points and can just swap. Is this more so with the Gasser a440 than the deisel a440? Jeremy I'll know in a couple days about the parts I might be getting and will work something out in your favour with you. I'm thinking if I rework the v/b that should firm the shifts up,then its changing the shift points is what my goal is . Have you rerouted the the 4 the gear lockup to 3rd gear for lockup in 3rd on your v/b?

I agree with Don, try the kick down adjustment first. On my brothers Auto HJ60 adjusting the cable made a bit difference in the way it shifted and how long it held a gear for. The governor is part of the mechanism that locks the converter a Don said. My Gas A440's has a governor and lock up spring that locks the converter up at around 85-90km/hr. With the lower revving diesel (3400 red line) I'm putting in I would like to have my lock-up around 50-60km/hr.

Let me know when you know about the parts. I have two A440's that I can remove the Governor from to swap with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom