1970 gmc jimmy roll cage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sean

Supporting Vendor
Threads
finally got some time to get a little work done on my neglected Jimmy. got the cage bent up in 2" dom, found two front seats from a 2010 tundra and back seat from older tacoma. I came across some seat belts from a 2002 wrangler to keep the family safer than the old lap belt/ kidney crushers. bent up a skid plate for the tank with some 3/16 steel plate on the side walk with some blocks of wood, a tundra crewmax, and a great spotter with lots of patience. got a tank from a 2nd gen blazer with 31 gal capacity to extend my range that was about 180 miles with a strong tailwind on the stock 20 gal tank.

the truck has mostly factory drivetrain except for 406 vortec smallblock ( dana 44 /12 bolt/465 4 speed granny 1st/dana 20 part time, manual hubs) stuffed 4.56's with a detroit in rear.

now I need rock sliders, swingout tire carrier, winch bumper or just sell it and get an 80 already!!!! I am pretty attached to her but need to move on I think

feb 2013 jimmy and bumper pics 018.jpg

feb 2013 jimmy and bumper pics 024.jpg

7-7-13 truck 004.jpg

finally got some time to get a little work done on my neglected Jimmy. got the cage bent up in 2" dom, found two front seats from a 2010 tundra and back seat from older tacoma. I came across some seat belts from a 2002 wrangler to keep the family safer than the old lap belt/ kidney crushers. bent up a skid plate for the tank with some 3/16 steel plate on the side walk with some blocks of wood, a tundra crewmax, and a great spotter with lots of patience. got a tank from a 2nd gen blazer with 31 gal capacity to extend my range that was about 180 miles with a strong tailwind on the stock 20 gal tank.

the truck has mostly factory drivetrain except for 406 vortec smallblock ( dana 44 /12 bolt/465 4 speed granny 1st/dana 20 part time, manual hubs) stuffed 4.56's with a detroit in rear.

now I need rock sliders, swingout tire carrier, winch bumper or just sell it and get an 80 already!!!! I am pretty attached to her but need to move on I think

Don't do it, keep that sweet Jimmy . I had a 72 and 77 Blazers years ago then went to Jeeps. Recently went into a locked LX450 and although it was very nice and very capable I just did not like it as much as the Jeeps or Blazers. I think the AWD and cost of parts and repairs did me in. So just purchased a 1987 K5 and couldn't be happier. Just my 2 cents

I needed to hear that, thank you. I really dont want to sell her ever more so now that I just put about another 40hrs into her. I have seat belts I salvaged from a 2005 dodge caravan, added a few pieces of tubing to the cage, got the seat brackets all dialed in, filled some old bolt holes in the floors in and rhino lined the floor, and finally got some 4.56's stuffed in the front dana 44 with a detroit. now time for crossover steering? front bumper with winch? rock sliders, swingout tirecarrier, dual batteries, where does this end? If it doesnt end up stuck in a sand bar somewhere in cape cod, washed out to sea and totaled like my 85( 1st test run and after a 2 yr frame off resto :crybaby:) when I was a young lad about 15 yrs ago, I will be ok. haha! a hard lesson on the uselessness of open 4x4

001.jpg

005.jpg

I need some rims too now I think. these centerlines have done their time and need to be put to rest.

those are 15's too, with some toyo 37x14.5x15 I love these tires, around 10k miles and they still have alot of meat left on em

bottoms of the doors are rusting and thats the way they will stay.

I need some rims too now I think. these centerlines have done their time and need to be put to rest.

those are 15's too, with some toyo 37x14.5x15 I love these tires, around 10k miles and they still have alot of meat left on em

bottoms of the doors are rusting and thats the way they will stay.
I needed to hear that, thank you. I really dont want to sell her ever more so now that I just put about another 40hrs into her. I have seat belts I salvaged from a 2005 dodge caravan, added a few pieces of tubing to the cage, got the seat brackets all dialed in, filled some old bolt holes in the floors in and rhino lined the floor, and finally got some 4.56's stuffed in the front dana 44 with a detroit. now time for crossover steering? front bumper with winch? rock sliders, swingout tirecarrier, dual batteries, where does this end? If it doesnt end up stuck in a sand bar somewhere in cape cod, washed out to sea and totaled like my 85( 1st test run and after a 2 yr frame off resto :crybaby:) when I was a young lad about 15 yrs ago, I will be ok. haha! a hard lesson on the uselessness of open 4x4

I know this is old... but I really like the roll cage you put in your Blazer. Did you make yourself? If not, where did you get it?

Glad you kept it. Approaching 30 years with my fullsize '73. Simple and cheap to repair. Easy to mod. The perfect vehicle in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom