The "Un-Official" Off Road Trailer Pic Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just an observation, but why is it that most trailers sport mud grip-like tires($$$)? It's not like they are driving anything and need the traction---
Au contrair, they do need the traction for braking (if so equipped) and for lateral direction control. Picture descending a muddy hill with passenger car tires on the trailer; that could get ugly in a heart beat. Maybe they don't all need Bogger TSL's, but tires appropriate for the region are a good call. Not to mention the better flatting resistance of HD traction tires.

Agreed with both previous posts, and obviously there may not be a need for the gnarliest mud-terrain tire on a trailer, as cool as it looks. But in the worst case scenario having halfway-decent all-terrains on your trailer could make a huge difference over highway tires if you actually had to resort to using one or both as vehicle spares in a remote area and leaving the trailer behind.

Not saying the vehicle and trailer tires have to be matched per se, but I've seen just enough incidents where a vehicle got two flats on the same side from running over an obstacle that having tires with similar tractive abilities could be very handy.

Case in point; a pallet hidden in the sand on Padre Island National Seashore. Of course those guys didn't even have a trailer so with their single spare they were stuck for something like 4hrs before I came along. Loaded them and their two flats in my pickup and drove +20mi back up the beach, leaving their truck behind on a Sunday. I still think about that when I travel PINS by myself in my FJC and just the one spare, and that's exactly why I'm gonna fit some 6x5.5 matching bolt-pattern Toyota steel wheels on my trailer at some point.

:beer:

If you're gonna go, best go as prepared as you can.

In the worst case scenario having halfway-decent all-terrains on your trailer could make a huge difference over highway tires if you actually had to resort to using one or both as vehicle spares in a remote area and leaving the trailer behind........If you're gonna go, best go as prepared as you can.
My wheels and tires all match for that exact reason. Asthetics are important to me as well, but I wanted the practicality of having all my wheels and tires interchangeable.

Last edited:
My wheels and tires all match for that exact reason. Asthetics are important to me as well, but I wanted the paracticality of having all my wheels and tires interchangeable.

X2...same here as well.

-Daniel Kent

Maiden voyage In North Georgia.
image-3306143644.jpg

^^^ Nice, looks like they're well prepped and put together!

-Daniel Kent

Just got my trailer verified and registered at the DMV. Custom built by my buddy twelve1. Sill need finish some stuff up but here it is...

Free Longo publicity

My home built trailer

Just finished it .....mostly ......:D

20130625_185454.jpg

20130625_195426.jpg

20130625_185635.jpg

My wheels and tires all match for that exact reason. Asthetics are important to me as well, but I wanted the practicality of having all my wheels and tires interchangeable.

Ditto. I have come across enough folks usually stuck in places like Botswana for the exact same reason ..;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom