Starter problems. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You might find you have the old style rear end plate( That's what the toyota parts manual calls it, it's the plate that goes between your block and your flywheel). If thats the case you'll need to change that, if your unsure which plate you have look on toyodiy.com, the two styles look very different. If you have the wrong end plate you may find that that is all you have to change to make the new type starter fit, you may not have to change your flywheel.

Thanks guys.

What i am looking for right now is a Starter Solenoid for the B engine starter as the 3B starter does NOT fit.

So its either finding that solenoid or going ahead and changing out the back plate and everything i need to fit the 3B starter(which i can get brand new from the local Toyota dealership...for a hefty sum of 560 Euros).

3B parts i can find...its the parts for the B engine that i am not finding parts for.

My wife is a Fin, so we ship holiday stuff there from Canukland.
Canada Post is outrageous pricing. If it's a 3B , your going to need the correct starter as Lost in space posted. Its the plate that someone posted and a used starter that your going to need.
I don't know Finnyland access to old parts , but here , you can find used.
the weight of those parts makes pulla as light as a feather.

VT

I found the correct Solenoid(it is still being made)! Just took a bit of research on my part and calling to a couple of companies here in Finland to see if they could find it from their suppliers.

So no need(for now) to change out the starter and back plate.

The BJ40 is not that uncommon here as are newer models of Landcruisers so finding parts is not that big a problem.

And shipping here in Finland is also very expensive.

Depends on the size of the Pulla tho...

For anyone interested:

nippon denso 053400-1900

Manufacturer is: New Era and their number is SS-1709

Merry Christmas and thanks to everyone for your input and help!

Glad you're getting it sorted PM.

Someone has been trying to sell a similar starter here for some time:
Toyota Dyna Diesel B Series Truck Starter Motor for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

Does it look the same as yours?

OldBStarter.jpg

:beer:
OldBStarter.jpg

Yeah i am at a loss here, can not figure out why the hell someone would do that...

Sorry but had to laugh over that comment :lol:

If you are looking for a "reason" as to why the PO did certain insane things to your truck then you are on a lost cause.

From wiki:

The meaning of the word "reason" in senses such as "human reason" overlaps to a large extent with Rationality, rather than "reasoned" or "reasonable".

I love to bitch about my trucks PO, but I do not ask myself for the rationale behind some of his handiwork as there clearly isn't any.

Don't loose faith in fixing your truck up, you'll get there, just take it one thing at a time and enjoy the experience. Plenty of people on here only too willing to help with advise you if you get stuck.

I have a 1977 B Diesel with the exact early style direct drive starter with 9 teeth as in the photo above. I think the solenoid is ok. My question is can I fit a Toyota Reman to my nose cone, such as 28100-54090-84 if I fit a new 9 tooth gear? Also, how difficult is it to remove the 9 tooth gear from the old starter? I looked at my other BJ 40 which is a 1980 and it has the gear reduction starter and the diameter is about 30MM and the 1977 direct drive starter is has a diameter of about 36MM.

1. So, can I fit a Toyota reman starter, if so what is the correct part number? Will the reman starter diameter be too small for my nose cone? How much trouble is it to change 9 tooth gear from the old starter to the reman starter?

2. Or is possible to fit a gear rediction starter? If so, do they all come with 11 tooth gear which necesitates a change to a 9 tooth?

I saw this thread,
https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/242949-b-3b-starters-flywheels.html

[QUOTE
I put the starter in today and it works great! no binding at all. So a later model gear reduction 3b starter can work in a "B" ENGINE with a starter drive gear change to a 9 tooth from the stock 11 tooth. If your "B" engine came with the older style non gear reduction starter.

I'll find the drive gear number and post it up also.:bounce::bounce:

WAI 54-82211 part number for the gear,.......... kubota Starter that the pinion gear was from 028000-500
][/QUOTE]

I researched this a bit more and this is what I found so far. I think this is a Bosch E-82 Starter(direct drive) which had the discontinued Toyota Part number 28100-60062-84. Can anyone verify this? Can anyone verify the Kw specification?

I researched this a bit more and this is what I found so far. I think this is a Bosch E-82 Starter(direct drive) which had the discontinued Toyota Part number 28100-60062-84. Can anyone verify this? Can anyone verify the Kw specification?

I see that 28100-60062 is a 1kW 12V starter used on some 2F petrol landcruiser engines.

The "84" simply shows it was sold by Toyota as a "remanufactured unit" rather than brand new.

:beer:

So with 12volts and 1 KW, its probably not going to turn over my B Diesel. Any idea on a part number for the B diesel version of that starter or would it be better to get a gear reduction starter (2.5KW)and change to a 9 tooth pinon gear? Do you have an idea of the part number for the correct gear reduction starter ? How diificult is it to change that pinon gear?:bang::bang::bang::bang:

I have located another Toyota part number that indicates that it is a Bosch direct drive starter, but with 2.0 KW. It is 28100-66060-84. Anyone know if this is correct?

So with 12volts and 1 KW, its probably not going to turn over my B Diesel.

Yes. I think that's a valid assumption.

The smallest (least powerful) starter Toyota fitted to a 2977cc B-diesel was 1.8kW I believe. And that starter was troublesome (from what I've read) and used till Sept 77 (Part number 28100-56020 subs 56021)

...Do you have an idea of the part number for the correct gear reduction starter ? How diificult is it to change that pinon gear?:bang::bang::bang::bang:

I think the move to gear-reduction (together with more power) eliminated the reliability problems associated with the old starters.

I don't think any gear-reduction starters were designed for your early engine.

Fitting a gear-reduction starter to your engine (that was designed for a later engine) may involve modification work.

Judging exactly how much modification work will be needed (to fit a gear-reduction-starter to your engine ) is beyond my competence.

I would expect changing the cog on an existing starter drive to be either hard or impossible. (There is so much torque on that cog that I'd expect it to be cast-in-place or at least very securely held there.)

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

:cheers:

Thanks again! I think that you are right about the gear reduction starter, it seems to be well beyond my competence as well. I will try to get mine rebuilt or find a replacement on Monday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom