The Proper Way of Windshield Chrome Trim Install? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My windscreen seal is leaking at one corner. This is a seal which I had a windshield shop installed about a year ago replacing a former seal which was also leaking badly. I was not aware of the sealant around b/w the windshield and the gasket at the time (neither was the windshield shop) and I did not use any. Also, at the time of the last installation, the shop rope-pulled the seal in and then proceeded to the chrome surround trim install, which was quite a painful job that took about 4 hrs (using small screw driver to peel around the installed rubber to accomodate the chrome trim bit by bit) and ended up chipping/cracking the rubber at various positions eventually.

I want to do it right this time. Ordered another stock deal and will stick to the sealant around the gasket/glass thing as per the FSM. What I would like to know is that if anyone knows if the chrome trims are to be fitted prior to the rope-pull install or after.
All opinions are welcome and thanks for your help.

I have not seen chrome trim on an OEM windshield gasket. All the ones I have seen are all black rubber with no place to insert a lock strip. What year is your 80 series and is it a US market vehicle?

I've dealt with chrome lock strips with the BMW's I've owned in the past and working at a BMW shop, there is a special tool for properly installing the lock strip which is worth its weight in gold once you figure out how to use it. Turns your 4 hour job into a 4min job tops.

Mine is a '96 and yes, it is not a vehicle for the US market.

Would you shed more lights as to the BMW lock strip tool, or perhaps a picture of this tool? Thanks.

Mine is a '96 and yes, it is not a vehicle for the US market.

Would you shed more lights as to the BMW lock strip tool, or perhaps a picture of this tool? Thanks.

The tool I have is the almn one on the right except mine has a different head on it for the wider lock strips I use it for. You can do a google search for windshield lock strip tool and get a lot of results. The main thing is matching the spreader head to the size lock strip you are working with.

bmw513050-pouchset.jpg

The price for that set of tools is rather steep.

The price for that set of tools is rather steep.

Yes it was but I used to be a full time BMW tech so anything that made my job easier and was used a lot didn't really matter what it cost. Plus you don't need the whole set, I only have the almn tool. There are generic ones that I'm sure are more cost effective than the factory BMW one in the picture.

This is a picture of the lock strip installed in the seal. The width of the exposed metal strip is about 8mm and the total width (including the seal covered lips) is about 12mm.

旋转 Lock Strip.jpg

Not sure what country or area you are in, but a windshield shop should know about a) the sealant, and b) how to deal with common chrome strips. And if the shop put in a seal that leaked, why are YOU dealing with it, not THEM?

DougM

The shop used a screwdriver to install the strips (that is also what the FSM suggests), using a new OEM seal, but still damaged a few spots on the strip as well as the seals.

Guess that with the help of a proper set of tools, that damage could be at least minimized.

The shop used a screwdriver to install the strips (that is also what the FSM suggests), using a new OEM seal, but still damaged a few spots on the strip as well as the seals.

Guess that with the help of a proper set of tools, that damage could be at least minimized.

When I did auto glass we used a 'hook tool' for putting in metal strip into rubber gasket as the previous pic showed. This is what the 60 series windshields were like in the North American market. The link below shows a hook tool.

http://www.wgsonline.com/glass/201-10540.html

A proper autoglass shop should not be using a screwdriver to install the metal strip! Hope this helps.

Generally when Toyota suggests using a screwdriver to assist in installing any trim piece it will say "cover tip with tape or suitable protection" unless it's super easy to do without damaging whatever the trim goes on. Interesting.

DougM

I am replacing my front windshield next week. All Star Glass are doing it here in LA. Is it possible to re-use chrome mouldings and lock strips or will they need replacing once they pull the old windshield out?

Dumb question…. So for the chrome style windshield gasket… Don you use a rubber lock strip and then the chrome goes over that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom