1994 4wd pickup 3.0 V6 stumbling and acceleration issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1994 4wd ext cab V6 3.0, I'm having stumbling and acceleration issues. It doesn't sound bad on the engine side when it's Idling but when I rev it, or accelerate it , it really stumbles. I just replaced the following hoping it would take care of the problem but it still has the same issues. Replaced the exhaust, catalytic coverter, oxygen sensor. I used an OEM direct replacement O2 sensor (denso). A direct fit Magnaflow Cat. I'm getting new plugs today to put in it after work but I'm hoping for some input before I'm forced to take it somewhere. Thank you in advance!

Bump please

Throttle position sensor maybe. Any codes or CEL?

Throttle position sensor maybe. Any codes or CEL?
Yes, There is a check engine light on so I'm going to have to see. What do you mean by CEL? I'm afraid it's a head gasket because I had to add a little antifreeze to the radiator a couple times now. I had the head gasket recall done years ago, I've had this truck since new so I guess I'm SOL. Do you know A ballpark figure on that job? Thanks

CEL = check engine light, sorry didn't mean to confuse you on that one.

If you don't know how to get the code out of the truck, it is pretty easy. You just need to find the little port under the hood, can't remember which side it is on, but it is about 1" x 2" with a grey cover that says Diagnose on top of it. Use a short length of wire to jump tow of the terminals, I can't remember which ones off the top of my head. With the jumper in, you turn the ignition on and count how many times the light blinks. The number of blinks is the code.

I don't know that it is the HG. Have you changed the fuel filter, ever? I would try to get the code first before you go all in on the HG. The TPS could cause the symptoms that you are describing as well as a clogged fuel filter. The fact that it is stumbling on acceleration sounds more like a fuel starvation problem, especially since it seems to do ok when you gas it slowly.

TPS is pretty easy to change, I think it is on the backside of the TB and held on with two bolts, and the fuel filter on the V6 if i remember is actually on the passenger side frame rail, so pretty easy to swap also.

Check those before you go after the HG. If you had the recall done and you haven't overheated it then I would be surprised if it was the HG.

CEL = check engine light, sorry didn't mean to confuse you on that one.

If you don't know how to get the code out of the truck, it is pretty easy. You just need to find the little port under the hood, can't remember which side it is on, but it is about 1" x 2" with a grey cover that says Diagnose on top of it. Use a short length of wire to jump tow of the terminals, I can't remember which ones off the top of my head. With the jumper in, you turn the ignition on and count how many times the light blinks. The number of blinks is the code.

I don't know that it is the HG. Have you changed the fuel filter, ever? I would try to get the code first before you go all in on the HG. The TPS could cause the symptoms that you are describing as well as a clogged fuel filter. The fact that it is stumbling on acceleration sounds more like a fuel starvation problem, especially since it seems to do ok when you gas it slowly.

TPS is pretty easy to change, I think it is on the backside of the TB and held on with two bolts, and the fuel filter on the V6 if i remember is actually on the passenger side frame rail, so pretty easy to swap also.

Check those before you go after the HG. If you had the recall done and you haven't overheated it then I would be surprised if it was the HG.
LOL Thanks Jynx. Actually Besides what I posted that I've changed. I changed the rotor now, the distributor cap plugs and wires and the bitch is running like a raped date. So that part is good now, but I've still have had to add antifreeze . About 30 oz in three days so I'm still worried but it's running really good now. I'm wondering if I have an air pocket. I don't smell anything sweet or unusuall in the exhaust or the engine compartment.

Try burping the system, and make sure you don't have a water pump leak or a hose dripping. My father-in-law had a leak in his v6 and I am pretty sure it wasn't the HG because I had just finished rebuilding the motor.

Try burping the system, and make sure you don't have a water pump leak or a hose dripping. My father-in-law had a leak in his v6 and I am pretty sure it wasn't the HG because I had just finished rebuilding the motor.
Thanks Jynx, I think it did have an air pocket in it. I parked it on a hill, added antifreeze and ran it with the cap off for a little. The level hasn't moved in a few days now. That was after I got it to run good, I replaced the cap, rotor, plugs and wires. Seems to be running as good as ever.

Thanks Jynx, I think it did have an air pocket in it. I parked it on a hill, added antifreeze and ran it with the cap off for a little. The level hasn't moved in a few days now. That was after I got it to run good, I replaced the cap, rotor, plugs and wires. Seems to be running as good as ever.

Good deal, I am glad you got it sorted out.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom