What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (28 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I stole the battery from my son's '69 project; my optima red top is dead. I used the truck to get 6 bales of crappy grass hay until I can get better stuff in a week and then hosed off the chunky mud from playing in an adjacent corn field (harvested) so I can swap out my bent front springs and shocks. I mangled them while getting unstuck during a wood cutting/hauling incident this winter.

I also need to find some shallower bucket seats for it. I have fj60 buckets on factory 40 bucket seat brackets, and I can hit my head on the 4x4labs cage. Any suggestions?

I was going to install the wide band air fuel ratio gauge, but waited too long and none of the local shops were willing to weld on the exhaust port bung today.

Started playing around with some noise reduction ideas. I'm using the foam anti-fatigue mat as a starting point/template material.

image-313797531.jpg
image-313797531.jpg

Took it down to a friends farm for some short trail rides. Good fun.

image-58668113.jpg
image-58668113.jpg

Bought Me a Purty Star!

Nothing done TO my FJ40, but definitely something done FOR the FJ40.

After pillaging this site for information for the better part of a year (for free), I finally owned up and sponsored IH8MUD. :hillbilly:

A huge thank you to everyone who has made my first foray into classic car ownership/repair/resto a ton of fun and an excellent learning experience so far. This site, and the folks on it, are more helpful than any service manual in existence. :beer:

I was going to install the wide band air fuel ratio gauge, but waited too long and none of the local shops were willing to weld on the exhaust port bung today.

Started playing around with some noise reduction ideas. I'm using the foam anti-fatigue mat as a starting point/template material.

View attachment 742034

That looks sweet let us know how it works out. Does it help with the heat?

Figured it was time to take the top and doors off for the year
slowly putting hooks, steps, and badges back on.

IMG_20130328_143947_368_zps9444b269.jpg

but now the idle is funky and the engine will sometimes die when coming to a stop. Last time this happened the power valve in the carb started to unscrew itself.

Sam, have you checked the idle solenoid?

I haven't checked it recently, not in two years if I remember correctly. If I use a little choke to bump up the idle around 1k, then i don't have engine dying issues. I just did a spirited drive on some twisty roads, avg 3k rpm, for about an hour and had no stalls at full stops. I haven't tested anything on the engine yet. Maybe "tune" the engine this weekend.

Made a gauge panel. Still waiting on the gauges to ship.
gauge panel 1.JPG
gauge panel 2.JPG

Nice!!!

That looks sweet let us know how it works out. Does it help with the heat?

No measurable reduction in noise. Haven't run it long enough to test any heat reduction. But does it ever nicely pad my heel while driving.

Packed my extra front wheel bearings w/ grease and vacuum sealed them. Think I borrowed this idea from Poser, but who knows.
IMG_20130326_134650_423_zps4ee49759.jpg

Cried a little when I drilled two and a half holes into the front to mount my CON-FER brush guard.
IMG_20130402_185155_901_zps9464b543.jpg

then wondered how my hitch carrier basket would look attached to the back of the roll bar. I dig it. Now to figure out a way to properly mount it up. I'm thinking two cross bars sandwiched between the roll bar hoops and basket. Still enough room to open my "trunk" lid.
IMG_20130402_185215_384_zpsfd0da4ef.jpg

IMG_20130402_185225_513_zps8cfdceca.jpg

In preparation for a power steering conversion I removed both fenders and grill. While off I plan to remove the paint and rust (have a couple minor issues to fix) and powder coat. I only planned to install the P/S conversion then reassemble. But now that I look at it I can easily (famous last words) get to many more parts that I can "restore" like the radiator mounting bracket, battery tray, etc. Started looking at zinc plating kits.

Maybe I'm getting carried away :)

Kevin

Not sure how strong your basket itself is, but here's my solution:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/706679-rack-idea-stock-roll-bar-w-leds.html

attachment.php

I'm sure I could climb up and stand on it, but I'm not planning to...

Without the roll bar pads, you'd have to figure out a way to keep it from sliding rearwards.

hmm. I'll have to try this. I might have some quick fists that would work, but now i'm thinking that they're too small b/c they're for tool handles and whatnot. Simple way to attach/detach the basket while keeping some rubber isolation.
Do you run a bike lock for theft protection at all, since it is so easy and quick to detach?
To prevent it sliding rearward, I'm also going to attach it to the b-pillar hoop. This should locate the basket in a fixed position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom