My Jan 81 FJ40 Frame Off Resto Mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Should be fine if it's never been run. Are you going to use one or two gaskets? I've gotten several recommendations for two since it helps compensate for heterogeneity in the mating surface.

If that's the case ill need to order a 2nd one anyway. Is it necessary to use any sealant?

Some folks recommend Copper Coat.
Didn't use any on my old double gasket header install.

Edit: I stand corrected; wrong Jim (not C, Downey instead).

Last edited:
Use the Felpro MS22813 gasket set. It has the 2 new intermanifold gaskets you need, and a graphite manifold gasket with wide fire rings.

Jim,

Somebody suggested I use 2 of the Felpro Graphite Manifold Gaskets and Copper Sealant.

Is this your opinion?

Alex

Can I reuse a Felpro header gasket if it appears to look "good"?

I had installed it with headers before turning around and disassembly of entire motor. Never even ran the motor after initial install.

I wouldn't reuse any manifold gaskets, regardless of whether the engine was run or not. I never use more than one gasket, and alwsys install it dry. If I think there is a problem with manifolds not sealing right, I have them milled.

Fair point. Alex, did you mill your manifolds and header?

Last edited:
Jim,

Somebody suggested I use 2 of the Felpro Graphite Manifold Gaskets and Copper Sealant.

Is this your opinion?

Alex
No, absolutely not.

One good Felpro gasket, flat manifolds, good fasteners, torqued to the top end of the spec.

No, absolutely not.

One good Felpro gasket, flat manifolds, good fasteners, torqued to the top end of the spec.

Thanks. Manifold back in machine shop as studs in the exhaust manifold practically welded in there. I decided not to fool with them myself and dropped it off at machine shop.

So working on PS of engine and looking for correct location for Charcoal Canister.

Splangy, can you chime in?
image-3425490139.jpg
image-2374532819.jpg
image-2852090618.jpg

It mounts to the inner fender on the down slope facing the firewall. I can't seem to find my pic. Do you still need templates? Sorry I spaced it :( give me some detail as to what exactly you want. Probably easier if I just snap a few photos with the tape measure.

What the Truck?

It mounts to the inner fender on the down slope facing the firewall. I can't seem to find my pic. Do you still need templates? Sorry I spaced it :( give me some detail as to what exactly you want. Probably easier if I just snap a few photos with the tape measure.

What the Truck?

I think there's a triangle shaped reinforcement visible from the bottom of the fender. It bolts to that reinforcement.

The wire brush mounts to the left side, not the bottom.

Thanks Guys.

Splangy your saying the Canister will be horizontal not vertical? Or are you pulling my chain with the wire brush comment?

Broth ... If you can lay a measuring tape on top side of fender from the side and from the front leading edge, then that should work. I'm still undecided about returning to factory turn signals. I would ask opinions, but I think I know the answer. ; )

I don't have a gas filter as pictures in the photo below. If I'm desmoging, do I need one?

Or is there a plug to fit in this?

Hey dude.
Awesome build so far.
I have a gas filter off of an 81 FJ60 that looks like that weird one in the pic.
Buff it up with a brass brush or paint it.

If you want it let me know.

_____rHuWCreefurHe0-vi.jpg

Lol. It mounts vertically.

Go outside and take a picture of your Charcoal Canister already! :bang:

I think I maybe looking at canister that belonged to that '73 I bought and sold awhile back.

My PS fender is obviously an earlier model fender as it had a VIN tag screwed into it (which I removed) so the reinforced deal on fender is not there. There are 3 threaded nuts but doesn't fit the pattern of my Canister and bracket.

My garage has been a mess for awhile now, so probably have another canister laying around here somewhere.

Attached is Spector diagram of what my canister should look like. I think I'm trying to make the '73 filter work on my '81.
Charcoal Canister Bracket.gif

Impressive work! Enjoyed reading EVERY page of your resto! Serious motivation for all of us! Thanks for the work and the consistent pictures! Very impressive!

Tyler

Impressive work! Enjoyed reading EVERY page of your resto! Serious motivation for all of us! Thanks for the work and the consistent pictures! Very impressive!

Tyler

Tyler...thanks! I should have some updates soon. But what good are updates without pictures.

Tyler...thanks! I should have some updates soon. But what good are updates without pictures.

I've found on the forums you could have the best most detailed thread but if you don't include regular pictures, you might as well have not posted ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom