2013 San Rafael Swell! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Streaks?! Is somebody streaking our camp?

If I get into the whiskey it is a distinct possibility. :censor:

Really looking forward to this trip, it's good to see we have so many new faces showing up this year!

DAGORED - If you are coming down can you bring the awning brackets with you? I plan on throwing the awning inside the cab and installing it in camp if you're bringing them.

The weather it is looking real good Friday to Wednesday; around 70 and clear to partly cloudy. Lows around 40. We will definitely need plenty of firewood.

Yep, I can run 20,40 meters HF at camp. Thanks for the repeater info.

Okay last call on the steaks otherwise you are on your own for Saturday!! :crybaby:

Check page 6 to make sure your on the list! updated 3/10 at 11:39pm

Streaks are optional! :whoops:

I'm with ya Ryan, if the whiskey flows then you never know whats going to happen!! :doh:

Got a lot done on the 4runner this weekend but not even close to finished, there is always so much to do before the first trip of the year!

:cheers:

Matt

I have truly been having fun (and learning too) using Google Earth and plotting our track on my paper maps. Kind of old fashioned that way. I have done a fair amount of parts of this trip before but in some cases many years ago, so this run is mostly new territory for my weak memory and really looking forward to this trip. Looks like some really cool campsites too.

My plan is to head to Moab Friday after a few chores in GJ and be at Area BFE around 4pm. Spend the weekend prerunning CM trails. Monday morning will be some last minute shopping. I can't go through Moab w/o spending some money at Gear Heads. Then on to Blanding and our first camp hoping to get there mid-afternoon (NLT 4:00).

Ace

Streaks are optional! :whoops:

I'm with ya Ryan, if the whiskey flows then you never know whats going to happen!! :doh:

:cheers:

Matt

If we're going to have streakers please let them be feminine. But if it's as cold at night as forecast it won't make much difference. Get my drift?

Ace

Accidentally clicked on the Colorado land cruisers clubhouse. Looks like the are going to be in the swell the same weekend.

Thanks for that heads up. Could make things interesting. I initiated a dialogue. :)

Check post #67 here https://forum.ih8mud.com/co-book-cliff-cruisers/670589-2013-san-rafael-swell-4.html ;)

Shouldn't be too bad, we won't be coming into where you guys are camped. If I remember correctly you guys will be pulling out Sunday, so there shouldn't be any traffic jams. We can save the Lone Warrior area for after you guys pull out. Plus, we are a much smaller group compared to yours.

If you know a good place for a smaller base camp in that area of the Swell we would sure appreciate hearing about it.

Check post #67 here https://forum.ih8mud.com/co-book-cliff-cruisers/670589-2013-san-rafael-swell-4.html ;)

Shouldn't be too bad, we won't be coming into where you guys are camped. If I remember correctly you guys will be pulling out Sunday, so there shouldn't be any traffic jams. We can save the Lone Warrior area for after you guys pull out. Plus, we are a much smaller group compared to yours.

If you know a good place for a smaller base camp in that area of the Swell we would sure appreciate hearing about it.

That's the only area I've camped but there are lots of options i recall just from driving around. One area I would like to camp and spend more time is the Southern Swell at or near the hidden splendor airstrip.

Come by for a :beer: and a :cheers: and a :flipoff2:

There are numerous sites along the route we take from Exit 131 to Lone Warrior. Better ones appear to the north up against the same ridge line Lone Warrior is on. Never camped there or even drove in but they look decent from a distance. This would be in a good distance and fairly close to Lone Warrior.

Ace

A couple of reminders.

Fuel:
If you are joining us for the long way in please bring extra fuel. Although we will stop for fuel in Moab and Green River, distances between these towns, especially Wednesday and Friday can bring some vehicles close to empty. I would recommend 10 gallons as a starting point.

If only attending for the weekend, most vehicles will be fine with one tank of gas (~200mile range off road). Be sure to top off in Green River (coming from east) or Salina (coming from west). Some of you may need an extra 5 gallons

Food: There will be opportunity to stop for food/firewood supplies in Moab and Green River. Please be cognizant of the group regarding time stopped. Note: there is only one liquor store in Moab and one in Green River and "fake" beer can be purchased at gas stations. Plan accordingly (read get your fix in another state). :beer:

City Market Moab
Mellon Vine Food Store - Green River

Oh and did i mention bring firewood? :deadhorse:

I never head into Utah without stopping at Kokopelli Liquors in Fruita.

Everybody shops at City Market in Moab and the place is usually a ZOO, but a block south on the west side of Main is Village Market which is much quieter and way faster if you only need a few things. Another shopping tip is Gearheads has free filtered water. Bring in your jugs and fill up.

Maverick fuel on the south end of town is usually the cheapest and easiest to get in/out when heading north.

Ace

Just looked at the long list of participants and wonder how many are doing the whole "long way in" or more importantly, who all should we be looking for Monday evening? Also it would be nice if we could add (more) first names to that list.

I'll bring baked beans and brownies for the Saturday chuck wagon.

Ace

Ps: if you do forget to buy your beer before crossing the Zion curtain you can buy good stuff in the Moab liquor store but you have to shop carefully. A lot of the imported beers and micro brews are high octane. Please don't ask why!

I won't be over until Wednesday! :steer:

I can't download the KMZ. file so where are we camping Wednesday?

My friend can't get to GJ until Tuesday night. So we were going to cruise over Wednesday morning after we have breakfast.

Picking up steaks tomorrow, anyone not like Montreal steak seasoning?? Going to season the steaks, vacuum seal and freeze them. Yum Yum for the Tum Tum!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom