Mentor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, i am new to this world of mechanics have been able to get by just by common sense, but i am at a point where i need someone over my shoulder telling me what to do. So is there anyone in the Tulsa, Ok area that would be up with taking me under their wing? I am 19 and about to go off to college. Fyi my wheel bearings need to be repacked, so that is what i would like to start with.

Thanks

Delancy,

Can you point this dude to your local clubhouse or something similar where y'all hang out?

We don't really have one, per say.

aikirilo, merryweather, Blink exhibit mechanical inclinations well beyond my own.

PMing link to all the locals I know. If that doesn't result, will start texting.

It would be short work for any of the aforementioned. They're all adept.

Worst case, can swing by my house and give it a go, in a couple days. Have an FSM and a 1/4 brain, plus tools, and Mud.

Live in SoTulsa.

Edited: My plans for a communal work bay at a SW Tulsa commercial property I have have recently been scrapped, and still stinging from the process (mostly due to the $5k in legal fees already paid)

A very small addition (one bay being for wrenching) dictates a property tax reassessment, and estimates given increase the liability $60k annually.

Last edited:
Great to see more people from Tulsa on mud. Chris is being a little modest with his mechanical inclinations and overestimating mine. With in the last year I serviced my front axle with the help of merryweather and delancy. If all you are needing to do is repack your front bearings I wouldn't mind looking over your shoulder or lending you a hand.

I'll be doing a birf on Dawson's (Pooterman) Friday at my house in Sand Springs. I guess we could turn that into a wrenching party if need be. Anybody that's interested can PM me.

Did you receive all your new studs yet Chris?

No. Still waiting on an axles worth of hub studs.

Do have all the wheel studs, which are what's keeping her on road.

Slightly OT.

Everyday has been a Monday for the last two weeks, and every job has a " hurry up" and wait stipulation, so schedule is screwed.

Spoken daily to GC of this job, he expressing his concerns about getting done, so I obliged and had eight guys in Meeker this morning, to paper the roof ( I don't typically do just metal roofs, but GC is a big account and have done seven for him through the years. ) only to meet the Corps inspector as he was heading out from failing the decking and be told he'd be back Friday to re-inspect.

Talk about pissed. Cost a fortune to fuel three vehicles and get 8 guys out of town.....to turn around, THEN get the phone call from GC making sure we'd be back Friday morning......magically, I dropped the call, thankfully, so it'll give me a few to calm down.

Anyhow, a long story to say, " I'm tentative for Friday", at best.

. If all you are needing to do is repack your front bearings I wouldn't mind looking over your shoulder or lending you a hand.

Famous last words...right before "while you're in there"....:D Next thing, six hours have gone by!

Wow that was very fast responses. Well here is some info about me so you all know what you might be getting into. I have basically no tools, just a rig my dad bought me(after begging him to get me an 80), and after several months of asking him to let me do work on my own truck instead of bringing out the checkbook he finally agreed with me. So i not only need someone telling me what to do, but supply tools, and tell me what to go buy as in parts, grease, etc.. But my number is 918-629-0109, Paps say he will pay whoever my mentor is something, but not much. I just want Knowledge. And don't have any mechanical father/grandfather figure in my life. Name is michael btw.

Thanks.

Hey Mikey, welcome! I applaud you for wanting to do the work yourself. Kelly (akarilo) definitely has more bananas on his belt than I, but I'm always happy to help when and where I can. I have no doubt that any one of the guys that have posted in this thread have the mechanical skills to help you reach your goal. I'm working all this weekend, but I should be freed up for the following weekend and could possibly get my hands dirty then. I'll PM you my number.

Also, look at the FAQ sticky in the 80 Series section, it contains excellent information regarding what parts and consumables you'll need. It should at least get your head in the right space.

Welcome to 'Mud. Looks like you are in good hands. :cheers:

bump, so the newb finds it tomorrow ;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom