Leftovers and Soup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Split Pea Soup (using the left over pork loin)

Sauteed chopped onion, celery, carrot and garlic in butter until soft and just starting to color. Added raw split peas, a bay leaf, water and cubed 3) 1/2" slices of the rotisserie pork loin leftovers and simmered for an hour+.

That's what's for dinner tonight.

And enough pork loin left over for grilled cuban sandwiches tomorrow...:)

Split Pea Soup.jpg

I use leftover pulled pork to make a stew with my chile verde recipe. The mesquite smoked pork goes awesome with the fire roasted Hatch chiles. I posted my chile verde recipe on my Hatch Chile thread.

^ like you I smoke pork for my chile verde recipe. Makes a huge difference IMO.

Trying to figure out what to cook on my RDO's (Regular Day Off). We are expecting rain to hit this part of Kali tomorrow. I've got some smoked turkey and home made broth in the freezer, maybe a soup?
I was introduced to a special noodle by my parents, it's called a "Spatcil or Spatcel" phonetic spelling, but I belive it is of german origin. Got to locate some tomorrow. This is a specal kinda pasta, it's thick and seems to have a "Home style" kind of flavor. Anyone know of this noodle?
-Jim

Anyone know of this noodle?
-Jim

Spatzle. German-region egg noodles. A very common side dish in German or Bavarian restaurants. Yes, they're thicker than what we're used to. You can get them dried and boxed like pasta in most supermarkets nowadays. They're great in sauce-heavy dishes. I've thought about using them in soups but hadn't yet.

--john

I had Spatzle as a side dish/meal accompaniment at a restaurant a few years ago with a mustard sauce. Superb! I tried to replicate it at home once...it turned out OK but not quite the same. I need to get back on it :)

Spatzle is easy to make from scratch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y6Ga9hMm4Y

:D

The box stuff is not so bad and quick to make as a weekday side.

Traditionally it is made with a spetzel press but I think a ricer with the big hole plate would work fine. I think that is how Jeff Smith did it in one of his Immigrant Ancestors series shows. I have the cook book from that series, if I remember I'll look at it tonight.

Found it on-line. After reading it I kind of remember him talking about using a slotted spoon and drizzling the batter through that to make the little dumplings.
2 eggs
2 tablespoons freshly rendered lard or 2 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup milk
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
4 quarts water

Directions:

1 Using an electric mixer, blend the eggs, lard or oil, water and milk.
2 Stir the flour together with 1/2 tsp of the salt and the baking powder in a dry bowl.
3 Blend this mixture into the liquid.
4 Mix well and set aside for a moment. Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil and add 2 tsp of salt. Using a spaetzle maker or spaetzle press squeeze the dough into the boiling water.
5 Use about 1/3 of the dough for each batch.
6 When the dumplings float to the surface, they are done. Remove them with a slotted spoon and place in a colander.
7 They can be served right way with paprika gravy or pan fried with a little butter, just until they are a bit golden, and topped with parsley.
8 Note: These dumplings can also be made by using piping bag or dropping very small amounts from a spoon.
9 The latter takes much longer.

Lunch today was leftover fresh kale salad ala Spressomon with a can of solid pack tuna added. It was delicious.

No picture, it was almost gone before I took a break from eating and thought of this thread. :grinpimp:

Well, could'nt find Spatzel Noodles any where in town, so instead used Gnocchi. I wanted a heavier stew type of result, rather that a standard thin soup. Turned out great though. Esp with the smoked turkey.
-Jim :beer:

Another option for you next time Jim if you're looking for a good soup noodle: Its easy and quick to make your own 100% semolina flour noodles; get a package of "Bob's Red Mill Semolina Flour" (sold at Raley's, Whole Foods, etc.)...pasta recipe & directions on the package for a good place to start.

Unless I'm making a big batch of soup/pasta dish I just make and cut the dough by hand (knead by hand takes 5-10 minutes; after an hour or so rest for the dough then roll out with a rolling pin and cut with a knife into the width and length you desire...faster and easier than it sounds if you've not made pasta dough before).

Fresh 100% semolina noodles retain their shape much better than its dried cousin...and thus absorbs less soup broth with better "tooth".

Superrso, I've not only Not made pasta, but have never made any kind'a bread typo stuff. It is on my list though. Found the Spatzel Noodles at Cost Plus World Market, as we also did a Costco Shot today in Visalia-Ca. I did find a few Xpermintal Beers while I was there. La Gunitas Wilco, Tango Foxtrot (WTF), a few selections from Angry Ochard, and Well's Bannnamma Bread Beer.
Now I'm gonna go to "What's on the Grill".
As I'm well into the WTF (7.85%) after 3 Sierra Nevada Pale Ales, Figger the Bannnammma will be a Desssrt Beerf.
-Jim

Pulled off another soup tonight.
Home made broth, left over chicken, 1 can of pinquito beans, 1 can of black beans, 1 can of cream of chicken, and lots'a mexican spices and some left over corn. Topped it off with fresh chopped cilantro, and hot buttered tortillias.

My version of chicken noodle soup, the wine gives it the kick, and those Grandma's egg noodles are awesome

chicken soup 001.JPG

chicken soup 002.JPG

Mmmm. :cheers:

Leftover brisket=red chili..I do this when there is leftover tri-tip or solely cook a tri-tip for it.

101_1125.jpg

So where are you getting the red chili? Also are those beans home made? If so please tell me you used lard. Lard and refried beans go together like peanut butter and chocolate. Only the small mom and pops use lard in the beans here in phx and the dale.

So where are you getting the red chili? Also are those beans home made? If so please tell me you used lard. Lard and refried beans go together like peanut butter and chocolate. Only the small mom and pops use lard in the beans here in phx and the dale.

Bueno:

http://www.buenofoods.com/br_where_to_buy.html

Beans, if I am in a rush are canned generic from the local IGA and yes include lard. Homemade pintos require a pound of bacon for sure.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom