Aisin Hub question.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DenCo40

Cruiser Snob
Threads
I have a set of Aisin locking hubs I would like to install on my 77 Fj40. The hubs are from an 86 fj60. I understand I have 27 spline birfs and the Aisin hubs are 30 spline. Can these be converted by purchasing longfield inner hub gears? I know I can just buy the 30 spline birfs $$$ and be done with it but I'm not interested in that just yet. OR to make it simple can I just bolt these things on to my 40?

Last edited:
Count your outer splines again, you should have the same count as the aisin's, the problem that may come up is your birfields on a 77 are 3/8" longer than a n FJ60, you can change to mini or 1979 and newer birf's, they will have 27 spline inner which your current inner axles will work with. HTH John

Those hubs are too short to fit over your birfs, as pardion points out. Your hubs are the ones on the far right. The correct hubs are the ones just to the left of those.

Tech thread here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/211679-locking-hub-interchange.html

attachment.php

You need different hubs or a bunch of different parts on your front end.

They are rare, but they show up once in a while. I have a set on my '78.

attachment.php

"Those hubs are too short to fit over your birfs, as pardion points out. Your hubs are the ones on the far right. The correct hubs are the ones just to the left of those.

Tech thread here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series...terchange.html"

I didn't see that thread in my search...

So you are saying that 55 series Aisin hubs are direct bolt on? Will mini truck or late model birfs work with the short hub? I read a couple of threads about people cutting the long ones down.

It's not just the birfs. The knuckles are different and have a different pattern for the steering arms, so the steering arms are different.

His package deal has some of the parts you need:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/695469-upgrade-your-knuckles-birfs-package-deal.html#post8297898

But then you need to get some new steering arms rebuild your knuckles (bearing/seal kit). To do that you'll need a knuckle centering SST.

See how we're cascading here? What's wrong with the freewheeling hubs you have now?

It's not just the birfs. The knuckles are different and have a different pattern for the steering arms, so the steering arms are different.

His package deal has some of the parts you need:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/695469-upgrade-your-knuckles-birfs-package-deal.html#post8297898

But then you need to get some new steering arms rebuild your knuckles (bearing/seal kit). To do that you'll need a knuckle centering SST.

See how we're cascading here? What's wrong with the freewheeling hubs you have now?

40's have a cascading effect as it is. I was just checking out just the birfs not the package. One of my warn hubs has a slight crack so I might as well upgrade while I can. I was just thinking swapping out the original birfs and swapping in something slightly better and the right size for the hubs I have..

Aisan Hubs

Here in Cuenca, Ecuador I bought a 1970 FJ40. It failed inspection for steering, semi-functioning turn signals, only one windshield wiper (I think it only came with one and the vehicle is older than the inspector), leaking transmission, poor brakes. So some parts are being sourced here but I have 180 lbs of brakes, clutch, emblems, etc. coming down. Slow, expensive process but I save quite a bit of money buying them in the USA. This non-USA vehicle has the standard axles without free wheel hubs. I "thought" I would go with WARN, however, this site has many comments and pictures of exploded ones and so I went with Cruiser Corps for new 6 spline hubs. My question is this; "When I go to install these hubs are there any parts that I need for the change that will not come with the new hubs?

DenCo40,
I just installed aisin hubs on my 78. I took the original birfs and had a snap ring groove cut into it and then shortened 10mm, this worked perfectly and did not require any other replacement parts.

Those hubs are too short to fit over your birfs, as pardion points out. Your hubs are the ones on the far right. The correct hubs are the ones just to the left of those.

Tech thread here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/211679-locking-hub-interchange.html

attachment.php

You need different hubs or a bunch of different parts on your front end.

They are rare, but they show up once in a while. I have a set on my '78.

attachment.php

I recognize that first picture...
I like this one better, cause it shows the diaper name.
VC-888F.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm going in! I picked up the Birfs from a guy here in the classifieds. Now I just need some decent weather since I'm rebuilding the knuckles at the same time. :wrench:

Make sure you get a couple of rolls of paper towel!

And the right types of grease...

Disc brake grease for the spindles (red usually) and Moly grease for the birfs.

I like newspaper instead of paper towels for the really dirty work.

You can use the earlier birfields with the shorter aisin hubs.
The deal is, though, you have to have the inner Martacked and you will end up chewing up the end of the inner axle shaft. The axle will get chewed up pretty much from the groove where the circlip installs to the end of the shaft.

I ran my truck this way for 5 years. Didn't have any problems.

Thank you, Cruiser Corps did send an email, that I believe confused me with another customer, however, it directed me to MarlinCrawler where I found a number of pieces. My last of twelve packages will arrive today, clutch kit, took 67 days where in the past my experience has been 18-21 days. Apparently a new customs process is speeding things up. Note to all, the good folks at CoolCruisers of Texas say they have been told that March 2013 customs in the USA will also be slower. Don't know if that impacts any of you but it would be worth inquiring about if you were ordering something from Australia, Japan, Taiwan or Europe for your project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom