How To: Install Wix 24801 Air Filter Monitor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

gaijin

GOLD Star
Threads
The Wix Model 24801 Air Filter Monitor is designed to indicate air flow restriction through the air filter on fuel-injected gasoline or diesel engines.

It looks like this:

ToyLC200AirFilterMonitor10_07FEB13_zps26e76c46.jpg

Costs about US$16.00. I purchased mine here:

http://www.amazon.com/Wix-24801-Air-Filter-Monitor/dp/B0014BI1KA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360286501&sr=8-1&keywords=Wix+24801

The monitor is just a vacuum gauge that "locks" the maximum vacuum value until reset by pushing the yellow button on the top of the monitor. As dirt accumulates on the air filter, vacuum increases. When the gauge indicates in the red - time to replace the filter.

The monitor can be mounted either horizontally or vertically on the clean side of the air filters.

Here's what the stock air filter housing looks like on my 2013 LC200:

ToyoLC200AirFilterMonitor1_07FEB13_zpsa636021e.jpg

First installation step is to unclip the MAF sensor connector, unclip the MAF wire holder from the filter box, unscrew the clamp holding the filter housing to the connector tube to the intake and remove the upper filter housing.

After removal:

ToyLC200AirFilterMonitor2_07FEB13_zpsbc261706.jpg

Here's what the upper filter housing looks like after removal:

ToyLC200AirFilterMonitor3_07FEB13_zpsd5e44f4c.jpg

Note the permanent post-filter that is part of the upper filter housing and is positioned after the replaceable air filter element.

Next the MAF sensor should be removed by removing two small Philips head screws.

Here's a picture of the upper filter housing with the MAF removed, the monitor and the grommet that will hold the monitor in place in the filter housing:

ToyLC200AirFilterMonitor4_07FEB13_zpsf6266e6b.jpg

In order to mount the monitor on the upper filter housing, it is necessary to drill an 11/16" hole in the housing. It can be anywhere on the upper filter housing, but I wanted it to be easily visible when doing a quick check under the hood and obviously not obstruct anything or get jammed by the hood when closed. As a result, I chose to mount my monitor horizontally on the front of the filter housing.

Fully in the spirit of "Measure twice, cut once," I laid out where I wanted the 11/16" hole to be:

ToyLC200AirFilterMonitor5_07FEB13_zps8e5db022.jpg

I used a spade bit and cut the hole. It is very important that you remove all little plastic bits that may fall into the filter housing. That is why I removed the MAF so that I could reach in and grab the large bits and also "flush" the interior of the filter housing with an air gun to make sure there were no residual plastic bits.

Here's a pic of the drilled hole, the 11/16" spade bit, the monitor and its grommet. Also included in the pic is a tube of K&N Air Filter Grease which is used on the grommet to allow it to be inserted into the hole in the housing easily and provide a good seal. The grease is also used on the shaft of the monitor that fits into the grommet for the same reasons.

ToyLC200AirFilterMonitor6_07FEB13_zpsa6150e28.jpg

Push the grommet in the hole, push the monitor in the grommet and installation of the monitor in the housing is complete:

ToyLC200AirFilterMonitor7_07FEB13_zps50b46a50.jpg

Re-install the MAF on the housing, connect up the intake tube, MAF clip, MAF wire holder and the 4 clips holding the Upper filter housing to the lower filter housing and the installation is complete:

ToyLC200AirFilterMonitor8_07FEB13_zps15b4c87d.jpg

Wix advises that there may be some restriction indicated by the gauge even with a new air filter when used under a "full load condition." This is normal. To determine if there is any restriction caused by my stock setup with a fairly new (<5,000 miles) stock air filter, I did an uphill 0-90mph WOT stint that should have revealed any restriction.

After the run, the gauge still indicated no restriction:

ToyLC200AirFilterMonitor9_07FEB13_zpsd36ddf04.jpg

The Wix Air Filter Monitor is inexpensive, easily installed, provides a valuable indication of possible air flow restriction without having to take anything apart and it is made in the good old U.S. of A. What's not to like?

Hope you found this interesting/helpful.

:cheers:

:clap: Nice write up :clap: :beer:

x2. Thanx for the write up.

x3 gaijin! Although not a 200 but a 100...I was going to install one of these last year and, well, forgot! So thanks for the reminder :)

It will be interesting the life of the 200 air filter. I have a friend with the same monitor on a 80 series and based on the gauge the air filter is still OK after 2 years of wheeling.

Clean install looks factory
thumb.gif

Great write up!

These come with TRD Airboxes. The one on my Supercarged Tundra doesn't trip with the stock filter.... but the air cleaner assembly is large (same filter as the 200). The gauge will only show restriction if one exists upstream of its location. So if your air cleaner assembly is restrictive to the turbo, be that from dirty filter, a filter that is too small, or an air box that can't flow enough, the gauge will show it.

wonder how a turbo setup will affect the monitor if so ..

Whether Turbo or not, all this gauge is doing is measuring/recording any vacuum created after the air filter.

Should still be beneficial with or without a Turbo. After all, we are not talking about Manifold Vacuum, but rather vacuum inside the air filter housing.

;)

Very clean work

This thread needs to be bumped to 2020!

Also, @gaijin, I've seen you recommend a k&n part number 85-2445 instead of the Wix 24801. Are they same same item only rebranded (similar time the US air filter vs the Japan part number)?

Last edited:

Also, @gaijin, I've seen you recommend a k&n part number 85-2445 instead of the Wix 24801. Are they same same item only rebranded (similar time the US air filter vs the Japan part number)?

659118AE-8124-450D-B2EA-FD9BB264AC92.jpeg

The Wix unit has a max of 25" H2O where the K&N unit has a max of 10" H2O. I found that 25" was too restrictive, so I went with the more sensitive K&N unit.

HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom