LED Lights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Aren't roundeyes just a housing intended for an incandescent bulb? Or do they have an HID specific setup now?

Mine came with bulbs, which I've never changed out, so I can't answer that question.

Sometimes my left headlight takes a while to 'warm up' for some reason, and my electrical is good - the headlamps are on a separate relay - so I think it is an issue with the bulb.

I'd be really interested in an LED set of headlights. I personally think it goes with the overall theme of having a heavy duty go anywhere type of vehicle. I like the idea of break resistant headlight lenses, not having to worry about bulbs going out from vibrations, and low energy output so less worry about draining the battery.

Does the fact that LED's require a lot less voltage, mean that they would have a better chance of being able to be run through stock harnesses? Or would it still be recommended to have a separate harness run straight from the battery. In my case it wouldn't be a huge deal either way but I would definitely love the idea of using my stock high beam and light switches.

i have an old school trucklight led headlight and like the bright cool light. only thing disappointing is that they are d.o.t. lights, so they're not blinding bright :D

not that i would run anything illegal on the road :rolleyes:

i do love the fact that if there are issues, the warranty process is simple, and i can beat it with a hammer and the hammer will bounce back and probably knock me out cold before it damages the "lens" cover.

If I read the graphs in the article correctly, the 2nd gen trucklights perform about the same as the stock JK light?

That is not the conclusion I came to at all. Halogen for the price performance win. The LEDs were not 4x as bright, by any means and the halogens had stock bulbs for the test. Upgrade them to 55w/100w bulbs.

What is your favorite 55/100 H4 insert?

that won't be a plug and play harness, that's a relay kit for essentially building your own harness. for plug and play, go to lmc or one of the "restoration" type places. they have plug and play harness for old trucks. just pick a model with 7" round lights

that won't be a plug and play harness, that's a relay kit for essentially building your own harness. for plug and play, go to lmc or one of the "restoration" type places. they have plug and play harness for old trucks. just pick a model with 7" round lights

Was pretty easy to install...if you can handle a soldering iron..

Just sayin'

As far as upgrading wiring, most HID or LED options are going to pull less than the stock bulbs, and they will have constant output in a range of anywhere from 9-16 volts normally. The electronics compensate for voltage, so they don't dim like an incandescent until you get close to the lower limit.

I would imagine most stock wiring would be fine.

i used sylvania silver star headlight. plug in and go $50 for both of them
photo.jpg

i used sylvania silver star headlight. plug in and go $50 for both of them

I did this as well. They work great and haven't had a problem in 4 years now.

I began reading this thread back when it started and then, when the link to pirate was posted, I read it. I thought to myself that it would be awesome to have LED headlights that actually worked well. Then I looked up JW Speaker 8700 series 7" round headlights and they were $800 per pair! :doh: Am I looking up the wrong headlights? I figured they would be a couple hundred but $800?!?

WT:censor:? Is there anybody in this thread that is seriously considering dropping $800 on a set of headlights? More power to you and I would certainly like to know if you get $800 worth of satisfaction out of the difference in performance.

Then I looked up JW Speaker 8700 series 7" round headlights and they were $800 per pair! :doh: Am I looking up the wrong headlights? I figured they would be a couple hundred but $800?!?

Funny thing is that if you drove them for a week and compared to Cibies (prounounced C-B-A, like the letters) with 80w/100w bulbs, I'm sure anyone would like the Cibies better.

The LEDs are cutting edge and IMO, not yet ready for headlight duty.

Went with JW Speaker. Looks awesome! Had to bend the back of the light housing a little to fit the LED lights.
image-2682276464.jpg

Mine came with bulbs, which I've never changed out, so I can't answer that question.

Sometimes my left headlight takes a while to 'warm up' for some reason, and my electrical is good - the headlamps are on a separate relay - so I think it is an issue with the bulb.

Is your battery mounted on the right side. If so, are you running seperate wires for each light or are they daisy chained? Current will take the path of least resistance. ZDaisy chained your right light is warming up faster because the electrond do not have to travel as far, same thing applies if you are runnin seperate wires. The easy fix is to make your supply and ground wires into a T. This way you make the resistance equal. By doing this your lights will see the same amount of current.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom