FJ60 Dash Repalcement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a three day weekend coming up in a few more days and was hoping for some words of wisdom. I plan to replace the cracked dash with a great repalcement dash that is pristine. Also plan to replace speaker wires and install a power antenna before I have a new stereo installed next month.

I have looked at the replacement dash and it appears that there are 7-9 screws and two clips at the rear of the dash. How hard a project will this be? Any tips or shortcuts that would help me out would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

You can easily have the dash pad off on well under 1 hr.

Dyno

its easy to pull out....unscrew/unbolt the obvious screws .... and gently move the dash pad to make sure you did not miss anything and then apply more force . Nothing hard to do at all. Magical rule with dash work...if it requires a lot of force you are probally doing something wrong or you still need to remove s a screw or two. Keep up with all your parts/screws. Starting from zero with no prior knoledge you can take the dash out rather quickly. I'm talking about the dash pad... to remove the cluster you just need to remember you have to disconnect the speedo cable.

Yes I have. Pull out glove box, instrument cluster and center control panel. A stubby 10mm wrench is handy too.

Dyno

When you re-install the dash, are getting the two clips aligned a PIA? Looks like that and making sure all the air ducts meet up with the diffusers in the dash could be tricky.

Getting the speedometer cable back on is a pia! But other than that it is easy.

Zack

Well I see why you recommend a stubby 10mm wrench; the four hold down nuts and bolts up against the defroster ducts was the hard part of the removal.. Fortunately with the instrument cluster out the two on the left were easy, the hardest one was the one on the far right, had to remove some A/C duct work to get to it. No problem really though. The previous owner(s) had really modified the wiring and I cant seem to find the speaker wire for the left (driver's) side althouh it;s in the door. Trying to use it to fish the new wire through to the new speakers. Right side is visible and easy to locate.

Well I see why you recommend a stubby 10mm wrench; the four hold down nuts and bolts up against the defroster ducts was the hard part of the removal.. Fortunately with the instrument cluster out the two on the left were easy, the hardest one was the one on the far right, had to remove some A/C duct work to get to it. No problem really though. The previous owner(s) had really modified the wiring and I cant seem to find the speaker wire for the left (driver's) side althouh it;s in the door. Trying to use it to fish the new wire through to the new speakers. Right side is visible and easy to locate.

If I recall, the 4 bolts along the defrost duct only require loosening of the nuts,
you don't have to remove them. They are slotted openings?? You can reach them from far below with a long ( 2 x 6" extensions ) So align and push, make sure they're in, and tighten. If I've got this wrong someone corrrect me.

- Pull gauge cluster and glove box to gain access to under dash nuts
- loosen/pull 10mm nuts (5 or 6 of them under dash)
- Remove bolts/screws at side vents, near A/C controls.
- firmly yank dash toward driver (sitting in driver seat)
- DISCONNECT VENT DUCTS AND ANY OTHER VISIBLE CONNECTIONS
Pull dash up/over steering wheel and its out.

This should take no more than 30 minutes working quick

Edit, I should read whole thread before posting.. doh

I know I'm a little late to the party, but for posterity's sake:

On this forum, Shane 1981 gives a pretty straightforward description of how to take the dash off:

"There are quite a few screws but once you know where they are it's really quite simple.

1. 7 x screws that hold the glove box compartment in place, remove it completely including the door.

2. 5 x screws that hold the instrument cluster in place (speedo etc), you just have to move the instrument cluster forward a little.

3. 2 x screws, one at each end of the dash (can only be accessed with door open)

4. 4 x screws on the upper edge of the climate control panel, just remove the screws but leave the panel in place.

5. 4 x 10mm nuts, these are a little tricky, the first two are accessed through the hole where the glove box was, they are on the forward edge if the dash, they are visable in my first photo. The second two nuts are in a similar spot on the other side, they are accessed by reaching behind the instrument cluster that you moved forward a little. These 4 nuts just need to be loosened not completely removed.

6. Now just lift and jiggle gently and the dash should come out without any force.

7. Assemble in the reverse order, make sure you check any wiring/fittings/dashlights that you may have accidently knocked. Theres nothing worse than putting it all back together and finding out that you accidently disconnected something. Also make sure all screw holes are lined up perfectly around the consoles/trim etc before you start replaceing the screws.

I hope this helps a little if you have any more questions just ask.

Cheers"

The dashboard is dead simple to take off, as long as you watch that speedometer cable. I replaced my stereo headset today using that - why not just install that new stereo yourself? You're going to have the dash off anyway, and it's pud to do.

kaiboom,

Thanks for the copy of Shane's step by step for getting the fj60's dash out. It will come in handy when I put it back. I just wish this had been posted earlier this year when I removed my dash for all the work to be done in conjunction with my swap.

I don't suppose I need to tell all those experienced ones among you what an absolute PITA the job is when you don't know to remove the instrument panel first. :bang:

Thanks again,
gk
:eek:

My 62 is has cracks all over the dash. I need one without cracks, either new or used is fine. I'm willing to pay top dollar for one. I need a blue/grey one.

PM me if you have a lead or know of one

Thanks

My 62 is has cracks all over the dash. I need one without cracks, either new or used is fine. I'm willing to pay top dollar for one. I need a blue/grey one.

Thanks

Did you try the Toyota dealer? I recently purchased a new OEM dash to replace the original cracked dash. Took a couple of days to arrive and a few hours to install.

Did you try the Toyota dealer? I recently purchased a new OEM dash to replace the original cracked dash. Took a couple of days to arrive and a few hours to install.

I am almost afraid to ask, but what did that cost?

Zack

Thanks

Shows in stock at Toyota on Toyota parts zone.

55401-90A05-03

Should be around 470.29 with a discount.

Call Beno at Lowe or Cruiser Dan at American

Sucks the 60 dashes are NLA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom