saginaw vs fj60 Psteering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am beginning the search on power steering options! Gotta keep this momentum going:clap:

I have read about different ways to go but I have not read anything that compares the different options.

I know that anything will be better than the manuel steering especially when wheeling, but if I am going to spend the effort I want to ge the best fit. I have been leaning towards sticking with landcruiser, but am not set on it.

I guess that I would want something that I can be standing still and turn the wheel with one finger. I am doing this myself so I would want some thing that I can get done myself. I know that I don't need a ram or hydro assist even though it is supper cool!

From what I have been reading it is between a Saginaw box and a later 60 or 62 box..., right?

PLEASE CHIME IN YOUR THOUGHTS. It's here that I learn the most! Thanks

I'm running the Scout saginaw box with 35's, and it's been one of the single best upgrades I've done. The 60 series box install and feel are similar to the Scout box, but with the added bonus of being Landcruiser. Either way you go, it's an AWESOME upgrade.

I guess that I would want something that I can be standing still and turn the wheel with one finger.

With what size tire?
If you stay small, 60 series will work fine. Saginaw is stronger, cheaper, easier to find and doesn't leak as much.

You know how feel, Sag 7511 out of a scout works great

and he even gave us a PN...;)FWIU this is the preferred method. what year block are you running? do you have bolt bossing for the factory PS or will it be a homebrew/bill dory pump mount? I hear the sag pump from a volvo? is a good route-correct me if I'm wrong. I still need to do this, but for now, it's the factory gym membership for these guns

I am running 33x10.5, I have a 1975 2f engine. I hate leaks. My current manuel box is leaking all over my leaf springs and is a total bummer.

The mount is whatever is suggested best. Once again I have never done this and the hope is that it is easy.

I hear about the highsteer set up for SOA. I have a SUA tho. The one that Gonzo uses is what I would like. I like how it seems to omit the tres. I think that I would like to use the hiem type of ends.

Last edited:
I am running 33x10.5, I have a 1975 2f engine. I hate leaks. My current manuel box is leaking all over my leaf springs and is a total bummer.

The mount is whatever is suggested best. Once again I have never done this and the hope is that it is easy.

I hear about the highsteer set up for SOA. I have a SUA tho. The one that Gonzo uses is what I would like. I like how it seems to omit the tres. I think that I would like to use the hiem type of ends.

Thanks, I thought about hiem joints as well.I may go to them after my build is totally complete. It seems as you do a frame off resto every turn gives you options that can Lead you wallet down river. I will most Likely do them someday though.

just because you are sua doesn't mean you can't go high steer. i had 5" of lift on my 60 and had to go high steer to keep the rods from being at extreme angles, so let your rod angle be the determining factor between high steer and standard.

as pighead said, 35s or under, fj60 is fine. i'll be running fj60 on the pickle, just because it's what i had. if i go 37s, i'll wait until the steering is really taxed (remember, if you add a cooler, it will help) until i replace and go scout. if you have neither and will have to pay to buy a box, go scout, then you're unlimited if you want to go bigger later.

heims are great for off road, but you have to get into the high dollar heims and lots of maintenance if it's agoing to be a daily driver. drive a rig with heims on the highway and see how you like them first, if you can

Luke at 4x4 Labs in grass Valley, Ca makes a hi-steer for SUA.
I run Luke's Hi-Steer and recommend his stuff. Run his TREs, not heims.

2x that! Now I just need a step by step picture book:D. No really.

Sorry about all the questions. I am not that smart:frown:

Is there a particular angle that you needed with the rods or just keep them form being extreme. Move the system back and forth with no binding and that should be fine.

I am into heims because I thougt they would need less maitence, but it sounds like that is not the case.

When getting the box placed as far as the steering wheel shaft mating am I trying to match the "flanges" like you helped me understand with my driveshaft? Or do I just get the the steering arm to be flat in its rotation?

Sorry about all the questions, but its blind running for me:cool:

2x that! Now I just need a step by step picture book:D. No really.

Sorry about all the questions. I am not that smart:frown:

Is there a particular angle that you needed with the rods or just keep them form being extreme. Move the system back and forth with no binding and that should be fine.

I am into heims because I thougt they would need less maitence, but it sounds like that is not the case.

When getting the box placed as far as the steering wheel shaft mating am I trying to match the "flanges" like you helped me understand with my driveshaft? Or do I just get the the steering arm to be flat in its rotation?

Sorry about all the questions, but its blind running for me:cool:
the steering shaft is the same as a driveshaft EXCEPT it doesn't turn fast all the time, so it doesnt' need to be matched like a driveshaft, that's spinning at high speed all the time. if you look at guys that build buggies, they make their own shafts out of square tubing and don't care about balancing, because they trailer to the trailhead and don't drive fast, so balancing is not an issue.

heims are no more "less maintenance" than a tre. a tre only requires a squirt of grease here and there. a good heim also does. when a tre needs to be replaced, a heim needs to be rebuilt or replaced. and heims are for extreme angles, which means they will "flex" (for lack of a better travel movement word) more, which makes them far "sloppier" (for lack of a better high travel movement joint) than a tre. that's why you don't see them on street driven vehicles. they're great for off road use at low speeds when you need to get your tie rod/relay rod/drag link into serious angles, but that's it. i know a few guys that have built serious rock crawlers that would do stupid angle flex, but regret the fact that they can't drive on the street anymore.

it's kind of like building an awesome rock crawler...you lift it, put super flexy springs on it, it becomes less stable on road. heims are on rigs that are built super flexy and super tall. the more you build for flex, the less you build for street

the rods are engineered to be as close to horizonal to the ground as possible. that's where you want them ideally to be. are they....no. you can do up to a 4" lift with minimal issues. any more than that, go hi steer, and i would even say consider it at 4"

With what size tire?
If you stay small, 60 series will work fine. Saginaw is stronger, cheaper, easier to find and doesn't leak as much.

60 series has been just fine for me and 37's for how many years now? i dunno, lots.

i think they are pretty much equal in all regards.

I too am interested in this subject. I drove rhino's rig and I agreed that it handled very nice. I even tried to buy it from him but he must have realized how sweet it was when even the wife was getting excited about it. Anyhow how do the two steering boxes compare in ease of installation.

So the boss approved a PS conversion in the doomer. I was leaning toward a scout box cuz I think I can get one cheaper. I had a question about the shock tower issue. Can you get another passenger side tower and put it on the driver side? Does it still get in the way or does it not bolt in correct? Thanx in advance.

. Can you get another passenger side tower and put it on the driver side?

Tube it.

driversideknucklke2.jpg

P9180003.JPG

Ok so I know this is an old thread. I am looking to go to Power Steering and possibly the FJ60 route. I searched for Ford Tube Shock Towers and could not find any. Any suggestions on where to look? Thanks for the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom