FJ80 V8 Swaps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been looking around the forums here for anyone who has done a build thread for a FJ/FZJ80 swap with a V8. I dont really care if its a toyota V8 or ChevyV8, just looking into the degree of difficulty and money spent in the process. I have to opportunity to pick up an 80 that would either need a full rebuild or an engine swap. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks for the help. I guess a search probably would have been a good idea. LOL:D

No problem... I couldn't find it but I remember there being a particularly detailed thread on the cost breakdown of doing it yourself versus having it done.

Ahh why in the world would you want to pull the 6 out for an 8 :D

No problem... I couldn't find it but I remember there being a particularly detailed thread on the cost breakdown of doing it yourself versus having it done.

If you pay someone, it will probably double the total cost unless they have done it before and figured out the trouble spots.

I would not recommend it for a first timer unless you are reasonable at fabbing some things and have a strong grip of electrical circuits.

If you pay someone, it will probably double the total cost unless they have done it before and figured out the trouble spots.

I would not recommend it for a first timer unless you are reasonable at fabbing some things and have a strong grip of electrical circuits.

Agreed! Not for a novice by any means. Electrical and fan/welding skills needed.

I love my conversion. But from a $$$ perspective, rebuilt it. If you do go with a conversion, stay away from drive by wire!

Last edited:
I love my conversion. But from a $$$ perspective, rebuilt it. If you do go with a conversion, stay away from drive by wire!

Amen :clap:

The Chevy 5.3 engine is pretty easy when it comes to reworking the harness, there are several threads on doing that (LS1 swap), you can get the computer reprogramed for removal of security and rear O2 sensors for around $100. Then its the cost of motor mounts, transmission adapter, exhaust and miscellaneous little things that will creep up on you. I got a LM7 from a truck for my project, it was a lot cheaper then the all aluminum car engine.

You could have TLC do a conversion for you if you have an extra $50K laying around, LOL

http://tlc4x4.com/conversions.htm?service=conversion

But they do some siiiick work. These are the same guys that do the ICON's. :clap:

From what I remember Slee will install a 2UZFE into an 80 for ~$12K. I saw his 80 at the Adventure Expo a couple of years ago, nice work, factory quality. It looked as though it belonged.

I bought a 2002 2UZFE for my FJ40 H55F project, I paid $500 for it with ECU, harness, fuel pump, etc. It was advertised on Craigslist fairly close to me in the US (I live in Canada). It has, IIRC, documented ~40K miles, and removing the oil pan to convert it to a rear sump, (taken out of a Lexus SC400), revealed the block to be in great shape, crosshatching still in the cylinders.

I've rounded up all the parts I need to make it work, but it wasn't easy. The drive line components to mate an H55F 5 speed/split case with output shaft parking brake to a 2UZ were hard to come by, it took a crazy amount of time to organize, talking to Cruiser Heads and parts vendors all around the world (US, Japan, Australia, even Pakistan!). Going all Toyota was tougher (but satisfied the purist in me) because there are fewer options for conversion kits, adapters, etc. for my chosen route. It isn't a fair comparison because it isn't apples to apples, but it does show you what dedication costs. My 40's parts cost: motor $500, bell housing kit $2000, new factory H55F $2700, used split t-case in good shape $300 and parts to make the drive line park brake work, $400 (obsolete parts are expensive!) - total, $5900.

A V8 conversion in an 80 should go smoother, adapters are more common, but the devil is in the details. Things like wiring and sump locations, motor mount fabrication, transfer case/transmission/drive line choices all have to be made and the costs can add up. Adapters can be expensive if you want to keep the stock transmission. Anything else may introduce other types of variability that depends on the route you go, such as complications in drive line position. Be prepared for conflicts like integration with OEM electrics, such as seemingly small details like getting the tach to work etc.

If I would hazard a guess at the cost of a home done V8 conversion expect to pay a conservative ~$3K to start for a used motor and trans adapter. There will other costs that will go up from there, and of course whatever your time is worth too. The upside is that you will know your rig's inner workings intimately.

I'd love a 2UZFE in my LX, but for more power I'm going with the factory TRD supercharger for the above mentioned reasons, besides I'll be busy with my 40. I'm tweaking my LX, but I'm trying to limit mods to the tried and true "plug and play" bolt on variety for simplicity's sake.

Search the forums and invest the time to read so you know what you're up against. There are enough Chevy and a few 2UZFE swaps out there now, many well documented here on 'Mud.

Last edited:
Nice thing about an early 2UZ from a UZJ100 is that it uses an A343 which is pretty much the same trans as in an FZJ80. So in theory no adapter needed. Just put the whole engine-trans-xfer-ECM in. Or even a vc equipped xfer if you prefer. Or if you have deeper pockets go with the latest vvt version of the 2UZ with the 5 speed auto.

That said, for the money, a TRD supercharger is way easier to do. But you won't get the marginal increase in fuel economy that you could get with the 2UZ.

And I'd reckon that building a UZJ105 might be cheaper than building a UZJ80 if you didn't already have a project 80 without a power train.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom