Toyo Mud Terrain In The Snow (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In 2008 when I purchased my '97 FZJ80 I immediately did suspension changes and then replaced the tires with Toyo Mud Terrains. I'm up in the local California mountains often every winter.

What makes driving on the local mountain roads most dangerous in the snow are all those that drive up here to go sledding or just up here to enjoy the snow. Many have almost no experience driving in the snow, most don't have chains.

Yesterday after spending time with friends about 10 miles away, on our way back to the cabin it started to snow heavily. Immediately going up the hill all the cars and pickups with narrow profile tires started to slide around the road and to the side of the road. We pulled to the side to avoid some of the vehicles. A family in an SUV approached us and said they had chains but did not know how to put them on. I put on one of the chains for them then showed the driver how to do the other. All this time seeing cars sliding around and hearing crunching metal further down the road. I was concerned for my safety and the safety of my family waiting in our Land Cruiser parked on the side of the road.

Once done with the chains we continued back to the cabin, weaving uphill between other vehicles stopped or wheels spinning. All the while the Toyo Mud Terrains had a firm grasp on the snow and ice.

This is my second set. The first set I was able to coax over 70,000 miles. I've been impressed with their snow, ice, sand and rock performance.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8083/8326038761_0232824d8c_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8494/8327101816_3689fd70bd_b.jpg

Last edited:
I run mine year round, no issues whatsoever. However, it's not snow that causes issues for MT's in the winter, it's ice.

I run mine year round, no issues whatsoever. However, it's not snow that causes issues for MT's in the winter, it's ice.

I've noticed several comments on Mud about this.

My experience has been different. Just one example: Last year driving down a mountain highway at night where there was black ice everywhere the sun did not shine during the day. It seemed to be mostly in the corners. We drove around a corner and a car had spun on the ice and was high centered in a snowy berm caused by the snow plows. We decided to assist and stopped about 25 yards past the car.

As soon as I stepped on the pavement I slipped and slid on the ice into the opposing lane of traffic. Fortunately there was no one else on the road that night. I made my way back to the LC and we were able to back up, get a tow strap on the car and get them going again.

While driving I never felt the LC slip on the icy road, except when we pulled the car there was some wheel spin and we were fortunate that we were pulling down hill.

I deal with ice on the roads from late November to March, sometimes even longer. Believe me when I tell you they aren't great even though they are very good as far as mud tires go. Nothing compares to a set of high quality dedicated winter tires.

I still haven't switched from the Toyo MTs to my Michelin X-Ice snow tires yet and they do well in snow, but can't compare to a tire designed to grip on ice. I once attended a briefing given by Michelin, and the amount of R&D put into tires is unbelieveable (at least high quality ones). They basically said the tires on your car are likely the most technically advanced item on your car. Remember it's only a bit of rubber between you and the road that keeps you going were you want to go.

Just curious if you had the hubs locked and CDL engaged, or how you had the drive system configured.

unwiredadventures said:
In 2008 when I purchased my '97 FZJ80 I immediately did suspension changes and then replaced the tires with Toyo Mud Terrains. I'm up in the local California mountains often every winter.

What makes driving on the local mountain roads most dangerous in the snow are all those that drive up here to go sledding or just up here to enjoy the snow. Many have almost no experience driving in the snow, most don't have chains.

Yesterday after spending time with friends about 10 miles away, on our way back to the cabin it started to snow heavily. Immediately going up the hill all the cars and pickups with narrow profile tires started to slide around the road and to the side of the road. We pulled to the side to avoid some of the vehicles. A family in an SUV approached us and said they had chains but did not know how to put them on. I put on one of the chains for them then showed the driver how to do the other. All this time seeing cars sliding around and hearing crunching metal further down the road. I was concerned for my safety and the safety of my family waiting in our Land Cruiser parked on the side of the road.

Once done with the chains we continued back to the cabin, weaving uphill between other vehicles stopped or wheels spinning. All the while the Toyo Mud Terrains had a firm grasp on the snow and ice.

This is my second set. The first set I was able to coax over 70,000 miles. I've been impressed with their snow, ice, sand and rock performance.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8083/8326038761_0232824d8c_b.jpghttp://farm9.staticflickr.com/8083/8326038761_0232824d8c_b.jpg
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8494/8327101816_3689fd70bd_b.jpghttp://farm9.staticflickr.com/8494/8327101816_3689fd70bd_b.jpg

Wow, good to know. I just bought a set of 315 Toyo MT's for my '97 LX450. Though I haven't driven them in the snow yet I have been impressed with the relative quietness of them. For an aggressive tread I was expecting them to be much louder on pavement.

I had a set of all terrain Open Country on my Nissan "hard body" pickup years ago, they were a good tire, great puncture resistance and good wear qualities. They do make a good tire.

A big factor is that you are driving a heavy Land Cruiser with AWD on the road. In stock form, it is formidable in these conditions.
The safest, most capable vehicle is one with a sensible driver behind the wheel. Knowing you Frank, I bet the tires are down the list on reasons you will get from A to B safely in the snow.

The best grip I have had is with AT tires that have a good amount of siping. With the deep snow or snowed trails, I think the big deep lugs on MT's probably help without getting clogged up with ice.

The best thing about the 80 is getting waved through snowchain checkpoints without a question.

I swear that good, strong buttcheeks will take at least 20' off of stopping distances.

I would certainly agree with the short time I have had my Toyo's on the LC. They seem to be the best mud tires for the "average" Edmonton winter roads so far. WAY better than the KM2's I have on my Tacoma.

Mind you the 80 drives WAY better than any vehicle I have ever owned on crap roads period.

I have 30k on my toyo 315 mt's and had put 40k on my last set of toyo 295 mt's before I sold them with plenty of tred left. Quiet in the summer and stop well in the winter. Granted my cruiser hasn't tried on different shoes in awhile, I've been pleased with their performance so far. I do have a buddy that didn't like his A/T's at all, but they were in a f350.

My experience with the Toyo's is that the MT's work better in snow and ice than the AT's do - at least they do/did for me. I currently run MT's that have been siped and they work pretty well. As mentioned above, none of them work as well as dedicated snow tires, nor as well as a set of chains, but they work pretty good.

OP's truck is part-time 4wd. I was asking what configuration his drive system was in because ABS is disabled unless the front hubs are locked. Since I have the same configuration, I wanted some feedback as to the best way to drive in the snow/ice.

I lived in the Sierra Nevada mountains for a number of years and people always seem to drive way to fast when there's ice around and then when they realize there on ice they panic and hit the brakes which is the worst thing to do.

Knowing you Frank, I bet the tires are down the list on reasons you will get from A to B safely in the snow.

Thank you!

The best thing about the 80 is getting waved through snowchain checkpoints without a question.

That's usually true. Often they let me though but ask if I have chains with me.

Nothing compares to a set of high quality dedicated winter tires.

Very true. I've lived through two winters driving in rural Quebec, Canada and two winters driving in Northern Utah. One of those winters in Utah I installed studded snow tires on my Fiat Spyder and what a difference!

Just curious if you had the hubs locked and CDL engaged, or how you had the drive system configured.

I've switched to a part time 4x4. I have hubs locked and CDL engaged in the ice and snow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom