Sliding, folding, light-weight dog ramp (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For the [big] dog owners; I'm still designing my drawer system, and I'm aware that a few other mudders are too just about all the time. I'm sure most of the dogs out there have no trouble getting in and out of their owners' cruisers but Goliath here teeters between 105 and 120 pounds and has difficulty jumping into the back or passenger doors of a lifted cruiser and he is still pretty young. As a result, I've decided to incorporate a folding ramp that slides above or below another more shallow drawer in a two-drawer-type setup. I'm going to do this either way, but I'm curious if there would be any interest from other mudders also designing their own drawers to purchase such a ramp that could be incorporated. I realize that it would be for a pretty obscure market, but I figure if I can come up with a quality design there may be one or two others who could benefit from it as well. Probably looking at a design made from welded sheet and angle aluminum and some pretty heavy slides. It will be a lasting investment for me as Goliath will probably get a brother of equal size in the next year or two.

Priorities here are:

1. Strength and quality
2. Smallest, lightest form factor
3. Ease of integration.
4. Price

I've been picking him up to help him in until now, but one of these days I'm going to get a hernia and that will probably not be fun. Thoughts or ideas on the design?

DSC03122.jpg

Last edited:
First thing I think of is Ramps made to get a motorcycle into a pickup.
Might be able to steal their design or buy one and modify. Just a thought...
Or maybe a plank that slides out from your drawer system like a uhaul truck...

That's cool, I'll go look at one tomorrow.

Interesting. I've been thinking about a ramp for my dogs too. Since taking out the rear seats and going with a full drawer/ sleep system it's really too high for them to get in safely. I might go look at that ramp also

Why not just use something like this? I think the motorcycle ramps are way overkill.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pet-Gear-Tri-Fold-Ramp-Dogs/12457045

That is too short for most lifted trucks (plus add on the height to get on top of the drawers) and wider than needed.

I have been thinking about the same thing. I also agree that the uhaul ramp is the easiest design. It doesn't need to be wider than 12-18" for most big dogs. A telescoping plank integrated into the drawer design would work fine and could bring the dog to the top of the drawers.

When my Alaskan Malamute was with me, I made a ramp from two 2X10s (side by side) with 2X2s at both ends and mid span, the top 2X2 brace also kept the ramp on the tail gate when down. The top surface had carpeting for paw traction. The ramp worked great and Gertrude was up and down it many many times over the years. She was one traveling dog. A ramp needs to not have much flex or wobble if the dog is to trust it. IMHO. Oh yeah, it had a rope handle on both ends for easy lifting and loading into and out of the 60.

That is too short for most lifted trucks (plus add on the height to get on top of the drawers) and wider than needed.

I have been thinking about the same thing. I also agree that the uhaul ramp is the easiest design. It doesn't need to be wider than 12-18" for most big dogs. A telescoping plank integrated into the drawer design would work fine and could bring the dog to the top of the drawers.

I dont think that at 6' long it is too short for lifted trucks, but I could be wrong I guess - maybe it would be angled too much. Just doing it to the tail gate, the dog can step up on some drawers...right? I may try this route anyway, I like it better than something a lot heavier like you guys are mentioning. My rig is lifted with 37's, so I will see how if it works or not, and return it if need be. My dog is 80 lbs, but when she is muddy and wet from duck hunting I dont like picking her up to get her in the truck. :hillbilly:

so I just wandered in here a few years later... did anyone find a nice ramp?
I'm interested to head how this story ends, too. My dog needs help getting into my stock 100-series.

I will round up some notes and post them. But looks like most folks just DIY something. I just want something nice looking, and light. I'll be back.

I've used the petloader steps that accordion into a "cube" for my Raptor, and the extendable ramp by Solvit (they make 1 that's a bit wider/stronger) for my 4Runner and planning it for my 200. Supports my 150+ lb Newfie without issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom