8mpg what to do? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this has been talked about a lot but.. .. I have a 91 which has a new head gasket all valve adjusted per fsm, new distributor new cap plugs and wires, other than a little rough idle when cold it runs great so I'm not sure what I can do to get the mileage where it should be. Granted this is my wife's dd and it just gets real short trips daily (she works only about 2 miles away) I would think it should do better. I would hate to start replacing things that aren't going to make a difference. Any help would be great and thank you to all on mud because I couldn't have done everything I already have without you guys

Can't help you much... on short trips like that mine gets about the same. I don't see above 10 until I'm at least 3-5 miles down the road and fully warm on the scan gauge.

Can't help you much... on short trips like that mine gets about the same. I don't see above 10 until I'm at least 3-5 miles down the road and fully warm on the scan gauge.

dosent get better with a 97. mine is about the same, i ride my bicycle most of the time.

I don't buy it! I hear guys on here getting 15. I don't think I'll get that but 8 is horrible. And that doesn't account for my tires only 33's but still

I don't buy it! I hear guys on here getting 15. I don't think I'll get that but 8 is horrible. And that doesn't account for my tires only 33's but still

15 on the highway at 60mph...half that in town. im 255s85s with new o2 sensors and thats what i get.

Replace your o2 sensors. For an FYI, I get 10-11 if all I do is short, city driving.

jwilber said:

Sure. 15 mpg highway.

How much of your wife's commute is at highway speeds?

At < 5 miles, the engine barely reaches operating temperatures in the winter.

8mpg city, winter, short drives is perfectly normal. So you're spending $2 to get to work and another $2 to get home. How much money could you actually save per day commuting anyways? Lol

I commute the same 2 miles to work, 8mpg is average. I never hit over 30 mph unless I'm trying to beat 1 of the 3 lights. The same truck will get 12-13 on a day of highway driving. It's the stop and go that's killing it, I'm either on the gas or on the brake. If I drove much further I might not dd my cruiser but as previously stated, $4 a day for a ride to work in my cruiser feels reasonable to my wallet:cheers:

If you sit in Atlanta traffic that's about it, if it makes you feel any better...my 100 gets ~4-7MPG in stop go traffic, 15-18MPG on highway at 65MPG. You are driving a vehicle that can drink garbage as fuel, trashed in third world countries, and survive the harshest punishment. Toyota didn't really spend much time on the economy side. That was the Honda CRV...

In stop start driving round town I get about 20 to the gallon, 28 on a run on 33" tires, full roof rack and winch bumper. I am in the UK with a manual diesel though;p mind you it costs £1.41 a litre here. ($10.45 a gallon):mad:

A while back my mileage dropped through the floor - to 4-6 MPG and one of my EGR valves melted down. It turned out I had clogged catalytic converters. The solution was a new exhaust system. YMMV

We all knew this was gonna happen the moment we decided to own one of these gas gazzlers :mad:...

I drive 4.4 mi round trip everyday and i get about 10-11mi if im lucky with the 5 lights and 1 train tracks:)...

I get about 14mi on the freeway and of course it's on the slow lane...:D A tank full of gas gives me about 260mi more or less mixed driving.

If im doing errands, i take my :princess: car and i actually look for traffic!!! It's a hybrid and she gets 536mi on a full tank!!:bang:

Thanks for the replies. I'm only getting something like 200 miles to the tank and I know it used to be better!

I'm running a stock '92 FJ80. During the summer I commuted 15-20 miles per day on mixed highway and winding hilly roads. I averaged 12.6 mpg on medium (89 octane?) fuel. I once broke 15 mpg on a 500 mile round-trip via interstate ~70mph. I now only run short errands in town and my last tank returned 9.3 mpg (200 miles) on regular fuel. I'm betting on a combination of cold weather and stoplights as the culprit for the decrease in mileage.

These beasts don't like to slow down once they get up to speed.

Thanks for the replies. I'm only getting something like 200 miles to the tank and I know it used to be better!

At $10.45 per gallon it's probably being stolen by jameslibra:doh:

Get an Ultra Gauge so you can stop guessing.

Look into your transmission health, your engine might be fine but your transmission, maybe not??? If so, your engine is working overtime. :cheers:

I know this has been talked about a lot but.. .. I have a 91 which has a new head gasket all valve adjusted per fsm, new distributor new cap plugs and wires, other than a little rough idle when cold it runs great so I'm not sure what I can do to get the mileage where it should be. Granted this is my wife's dd and it just gets real short trips daily (she works only about 2 miles away) I would think it should do better. I would hate to start replacing things that aren't going to make a difference. Any help would be great and thank you to all on mud because I couldn't have done everything I already have without you guys

It is a truck with a big displacement tractor engine that weighs near 6,000#'s ,as said above they don't like to stop when up to speed and it takes a lot of fuel to get them going again from a dead stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom