GTurbo CT26 Bad Boy Stage 1 + 1HD-FTE HDJ79 = over 200kW (at wheels! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
GTurbo CT26 Bad Boy Stage 1 + 1HD-FTE HDJ79 = over 200kW (edit - 213) at wheels!

Yep, we cracked it. 203.2kW (272 horsepower) at the tyres - 35" tyres too. No smoke machine either - much cleaner than a chipped 200 series twin turbo!

Will post dyno graph (before and after) tomorrow (edit, new graph on Dyno Dynamics not posted, but with more tuning, squeezed 213kW at wheels).

Mods are nothing special - GTurbo BB1 high flow factory CT26, 3" exhaust and a resrictive top mount cooler (DIY) and all through stock air filter box/air filter. No snorkel. Engine never neen opened. We did some fueling changes, custom chip program and about 27 psi.

That was in the low spec non intercooled from factory 1HD-FTE in the HDJ79 ute.

It is a drift machine that can be driven sedately.

Also, my Lexus with the 1HD-FTE is soon to be dynoed with Bad Boy Stage 2 and 4" exhaust...... The exhaust is on. I havent tuned correctly yet however it "feels" quicker than the ute....

300hp at the wheels on a daily driver here we come.

Last edited:
+200kW at the wheels - 1HD-FTE

Here is the before and after dyno :p

Dyno is inertia type. Great at calculating peake power etc but doesnt load up bottom end - I know I keep harping on it, but peak torque is actually more than 770nm at ~ 2000rpm and full boost reached at 1800 in real life.

Red is torque corrected at flywheel, green is power in kW at wheels.

Dashed line is after mods/tune

I have booked it in for next monday on a Dyno Dynamics Dyno which will show the bottom end better :)

Thanks to United Fuel Injection for letting me tune this on their dyno :cheers:

I cant convey how much fun this truck is, I dont want to give it back.
Dyno FTE Ute.jpg

Last edited:
having fun Graeme .. :grinpimp:

Dude .. which chip are you guys using in the FTE .?

Pics of the top mounted intercooler .?

You thing this can be archived with 1HD-T .?

having fun Graeme .. :grinpimp:

Dude .. which chip are you guys using in the FTE .?

Pics of the top mounted intercooler .?

You thing this can be archived with 1HD-T .?

Well, it would be very very hard to do on a 1HDT without either alot of headowrk, manifold mods and a great intercooler and may even then need about 35psi boost in my opinion. I havent tested my turbos for that (for two reasons - thats my mental boost block and the other is my sensors have been usually rated at 25 or 30psi....). I have one now at 60... so will try and blow up a Bad Boy Stage 2 :) Im going to take mine to 32-35psi in coming weeks.

I have 1.7Bar actuators coming so boost control will be even better than it is now.

I did tune a 1HDT here recently to 30pi with a Bad Boy Stage 1 (revision 2 with anodised extended tip comp wheel). Raising the boost from 25 to 30 cleaned up the exhaust quite a bit too (the aneroid pin was shimmed and ground to eliminate de-fueling with boost, so the only thing that changed was the amount of available oxygen), so working well within its efficiency range at that high boost. It was a total torque monster and was grunty all the way past 3500rpm. Didnt dyno it though... It was really nice to see the smoke dissapear with raising the boost.

I DONT reccomend 30psi on the original Bad Boy. Only because of the comp wheel design. The design boosted better at 1600 than the new one (only marginally) however has less peak flow and a lower shaft speed limit. While I havent blown one up through high boost, I just dont feel as comfortable as I do with the new one. The new Grunter Stage 2 boosts better and quicker (lower moment of inertia) than the original Bad Boy and makes about the same peak power and is also safer at high boost. Thats how it goes with product development - always trying to make it better :)

The products are all getting flashed up soon. Nice and pretty (but tough pretty...). And,.... I prmise there will be a web site too, which is why Ive been doing a few dynos lately to prove claims. "Stateing "man this thing hammers now" means different things to different people. But numbers cant be misinterpreted (by most people....)

Chip for FTE is custom programmed by me. If you cant custom program it - then there is no chance of getting a safe tune with power as well - youll always leave quite a bit on the table. I run up injector duration and calculate table values for a target AFR using excel - its so cool!! I dont think many tuners do that somehow ;)

Last edited:
Where do you expect to find clutch and gearbox limits?

Where do you expect to find clutch and gearbox limits?

Hey DOugal; The clutch was previously upgraded (to what I have no idea but can find out) and it handles it fine.

No idea on the gearbox; you wouldnt think anything would break it drives so nice. But, everything has its limits. I would expect the manual to hold over 800nm up to 4th gear (not sure about 5th).

I don't thing I will feel comfy going over 24 PSI .. but that's just now .. we don't know what's gonna happen tomorrow ..

and about FTE chip I mean something bolt on to get more from an stock FTE .. ?

I don't thing I will feel comfy going over 24 PSI .. but that's just now .. we don't know what's gonna happen tomorrow ..

and about FTE chip I mean something bolt on to get more from an stock FTE .. ?

If temperatures are ok and timing is correct, I have no problem with 45psi and 20:1 AFRS. I dont think it would break.

I see they are running stock bottom end 1KD-FTV engines (3 lite Hilux common rail) to 65psi and 1000nm with 600hp and not breaking (apparantly). They have a 2 bolt main, the 1HD has a full girdle!!

I have run 30 for a long time, and not just the boost setting, but spent hours at 30psi towing :) As far as I have experienced, its fine. The engines were designed for over 700nm and 30psi in any case. Cooling is really the only issue

Well done hitting your target Graeme!

Tim

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

Intake temps/afr's.

The air temps and afrs have a huge impact and required to get the power, however water temps should be monitored for extended periods of full fuel. On the 350hp at wheels 105 series Im building for a customer, Im installing an engine oil cooler as well.

The air temps and afrs have a huge impact and required to get the power, however water temps should be monitored for extended periods of full fuel. On the 350hp at wheels 105 series Im building for a customer, Im installing an engine oil cooler as well.

Got my little 10 fin oil cooler the other day :). Just deciding if I should put it between the block and the turbo or not. Where do you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom