Harmonic balancer replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Gents I'm looking to purchase a 87' 60 that supposedly has a broken harmonic balancer (gonna look at it this weekend)

How big a PITA is it to change these out? And how much would you guys take off the asking price when purchasing a 60 with a broken harmonic balancer?

Anyone, anyone.

Last edited:
The radiator will need to be pulled in order to have enough room to get a puller on the harmonic balancer.

The price really depends on how much the vehicle costs and what condition it is in. I'd say you could spend $1000 easily by just replacing things you find in poor shape on the front end, replacing oil, and coolant, etc.

Hope that helps :)

Helps a ton. I was thinking right around a grand for this job taking into account finding a good used part and everything else that goes into it.

Can anyone speak to how difficult a job it is?

How many bananas a job is this bad boy?

The HB is still avail from Toyota for about $700, I think. Aftermarket Chinese for $200. Aussie ones (good quality) for $350.

Make sure the crank nose isn't damaged.

Replacing the harmonic balancer is very easy on these trucks, I was having issues with my main bearings and went through 2 of them.

If you can remove the fan shroud you can easily use the starter to loosen the nut holding it on. Search "starter bump technique"
Then it is only a matter of tapping on the old one with a deadblow and it slides right off.

While you are in there I would change the belts too.

I would look for a good used condition HB, and I would play it up to having maybe $350-500 off the asking price to cover the new HB and belts.

Thanks for the help everyone.

I've heard anywhere from 350$ up to 1000$ so I'll split the distance if I like it and tell the guy 750$. I don't want to rip him off but if I can't even even find out if the engine is any good I'm taking a considerable risk buying the rig to begin with.

Everyone agree?

Agreed.

But it's also an opportunity if it's otherwise in good shape, and the crank isn't fawked. Used good HB can be had for $100. I guess it boils down to if you trust the seller that what he tells you is true.

Good luck.

Gents purchased the truck and got it down to where I'm about to pull the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer

1. What size nut is holding this bad boy on? All I know is it's massive and I don't have a socket big enough. As soon as I get an answer I'm headed to harbor freight to buy one.

2. Is there a name for the puller I'm going to have to use? My FSM says its a SST but I'm pretty sure I've seen pullers that look exactly like it before.

image-1279296890.jpg

image-3836639941.jpg
image-1279296890.jpg
image-3836639941.jpg

Make sure the crank nose isn't damaged.

this.

Gents purchased the truck and got it down to where I'm about to pull the crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer

1. What size nut is holding this bad boy on? All I know is it's massive and I don't have a socket big enough. As soon as I get an answer I'm headed to harbor freight to buy one.

2. Is there a name for the puller I'm going to have to use? My FSM says its a SST but I'm pretty sure I've seen pullers that look exactly like it before

I wanna say it is a 36mm for some reason, but that may not be right. It is a reverse thread tho, so keep that in mind.

And why is he saying the crank pulley is broken? does it not spin when the engine is running? That could have been a broken keyway. The issue with that is it could have damaged the crank (it spinning and pulley not or spinning at a slower rate due to the possibly broken keyway.)

46mm (or 1- 13/16). Standard rotation - Righty tighty, lefty loosey.

Harb Fr don't have, except, I think in a big 3/4" drive set. .... Sears... but only in a 3/4" drive. Best if you can find a 1/2" drive for most impact wrenches. Only one I know of is Snap On.

I did this a few months ago. The biggest challenge was tightening the bolt back down. I ordered the Balancer from CDan on here. Got a good price and quick shipping. I originally tired the Aussi model from O'riley and after two of them I quit. Neither were in spec.

I did not have to remove the radiator. There was plenty of room in there to do this without pulling it. I replaced the balancer, the timing cover gasket, and front main seal while was in there. I picked up the 46mm off amazon for something like $12.

Thanks for the info gents.

I just ordered a 46mm 1in drive impact socket off of amazon for 12$ but paid for 2 day shipping.

Would still like to get this project done this weekend so if anyone has a 46mm socket in Portland they would lend me for a couple hours I would really appreciate it!!

Last edited:
I knew there was enough room to do this job without taking out the radiator but it sure is going to make it easier to service the front end of this bad boy with it out!!!

It is a reverse thread tho, so keep that in mind.

Just wanna point out that this bit of info is very much incorrect. The nut is standard thread as pointed out by other posters.

As for a big socket: that is also found at parts stores for front axle nuts on front drive cars. You could likely "rent" one from Autozone or Advance Autoparts if you wanna do the job right now.

Nick

I used a big three jaw puller from Harbor Freight when I did mine. Along with a 3/4" socket set from them.

46mm. Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey.

OK gets I'm getting close to putting the HB back on that I get from Prophets cruisers. (thanks Beno). Do I need a SST to get the HB back on? What can I use to beat the thing back in place? Just wanting to make sure I have what I need going into the holiday weekend.:cheers:

OK gets I'm getting close to putting the HB back on that I get from Prophets cruisers. (thanks Beno). Do I need a SST to get the HB back on? What can I use to beat the thing back in place? Just wanting to make sure I have what I need going into the holiday weekend.:cheers:

You shouldn't have to beat it back on, it should just slide on.
Also resist the urge to beat on the balancer because you will knock it either out of round or balance.

You will also need a 3/4" drive torque wrench or some other means to make sure its got the right torque on it.

This is how I got mine back on. I eventually switched to shorter bolts. Two lengths of chain and tired them off to the frame. It managed to keep the HB in place while I torqued the bolt down.

385743_10100153156310580_1024028220_n.jpg

Holy crap batman!!! Can't you just put the truck in gear to keep the balancer from turning while you are trying to torque the HB back on? That's an awesome set up Irish11!! I thought I read somewhere that if you have it in gear and the 4WD engaged that the HB wouldn't turn when you are trying to tighten it down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom