Waeco CF50 issues - help wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So here is the panty-twister. When I plug the power cable directly into the pigtail I made with matching Anderson power plugs that is wired directly to the fuse panel, the fridge runs all the time and freezes anything inside no matter what the thermostat is set on.

Sounds like you have it in emergency mode.

Emergency mode switch is correct. I had a few moments over the weekend where the fridge seemed to behave normally. Not sure I can pin down the direct cause & effect.

So its been a few months now and I've just about given up on this fridge. The fridge still runs constantly regardless of where I set the thermostat, but hardly ever stays at a normal operating temp. It's killed my battery a couple times, so I have just pulled it out of the truck for now. I still can't find any US support, so I think I will try and talk to some of the RV service places around here.

If I cannot find someone to work on it, I will start saving my $ for something else...ARB or Ironman most likely, since I trust there will be long time support for their products.

Try the Dometic people down in Florida. They helped me very well. Dometic.com, 574-294-2511

So its been a few months now and I've just about given up on this fridge. The fridge still runs constantly regardless of where I set the thermostat, but hardly ever stays at a normal operating temp. It's killed my battery a couple times, so I have just pulled it out of the truck for now. I still can't find any US support, so I think I will try and talk to some of the RV service places around here.

If I cannot find someone to work on it, I will start saving my $ for something else...ARB or Ironman most likely, since I trust there will be long time support for their products.

As a owner of a Waeco CF50 this is not good news.:frown:

Did you ever know for sure what caused the original problem?
Excuse me if it was posted but I could not find it.

I did find a bad needle sized fuse on the main board and replaced it using the info in previous posts above. That did fix the complete failure and the constant red light, but now the t-stat and low-voltage modes do not seem to be working properly.

It's very likely I fried something when I accidentally reversed polarity when I installed the Anderson Power Poles. It wasn't until I first plugged it in and got no lights/compressor noise, that I realized I had reversed polarity. From the above comments, that would not normally fry the board...don't really know.

I've tried contacting Waeco USA/Dometic before and kept getting kicked around their auto-attendant menus. I even tried emailing them. I'm on hold with them now ( in que for tech support). Let's see if this becomes a productive call. Thanks for the phone number.

Very productive call! I had to wait on hold for about 15min until someone picked up.

However, she sent me a parts list for my model and kept me on the phone until the email was received. I looked up two parts to get pricing: the main PCB and the display PCB. There are three different main PCB's available depending on which S/N range your fridge is in and two display PCB's available depending on S/N range.

The main PCB's range in price from $12.00 to $42.00.
The display PCB's are $50.

The only authorized service center is in Gainesville, GA about 1 hour north of Atlanta. Coastal Marine Service (706) 387-0120.

The hotline for Dometic's parts department is 1-800-544-4811.

Once I look up my serial number, I'm calling them back and going ahead and ordering new PCB's.

This should be a link to the parts list on my google drive (someone let me know if this link works or not). https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxC-nZ4_rLSoMkpvMk9RV09NUFU

Try the Dometic people down in Florida. They helped me very well. Dometic.com, 574-294-2511
Thanks for the phone lead.

FYI, that number is an Indiana area code:
USA
SERVICE OFFICE
Dometic, LLC
2320 Industrial Parkway
Elkhart, IN 46516
574-294-2511

Thanks for the phone lead.

FYI, that number is an Indiana area code:
USA
SERVICE OFFICE
Dometic, LLC
2320 Industrial Parkway
Elkhart, IN 46516
574-294-2511

right click... save

Now I dont need to sell my Waeco:clap:

According to the parts list manual, WAECO branded fridges have a S/N range of 04000821 - 05001543 for DC only models.
Display PCB is: #02-00-05221...$50.00
Main PCB is: #SP005MAINPCBASB...$36.00

The S/N range for the dual AC/DC models is 04000001-05001087
Display PCB: #0200-005221...$50.00 (same as above)
Main PCB: #SP005MAINPCBASA...$53.68

Seeing as how the assembly is almost identical, I'm going to call back and ask if I can simply replace my main PCB assembly (DC only) for the dual power one. It's always been a pain to have to plug the cig lighter plug into an AC inverter, when I take the fridge out of the truck and want to leave it at camp...plugged into a standard AC outlet.

[update] They didn't have the AC/DC board in stock, so I went ahead and just got the DC only PCB.
They quoted me a flat rate shipping charge of $25 (highway robbery for two calculator sized boards that weigh a few ounces!).
So for both boards shipped = $119

Oh, and if you want a replacement gasket for the lid, it runs $65.03 ! !

Last edited:
Well my bad, thought they were in Fl. It was the main board that fried when my brother reversed the polarity on my fridge.

Just ordered a new dc power cord for mine to hard wire into the third batt. on the truck. About $35 with shipping.

wondering if you got your pcbs? i received the display pcb, which is wrong for my older model, but have yet to receive the main pcb. originally ordered it in july and was told 10 days to build. called first of sept and was told sept 9, "but that's not guaranteed". here it is october and still no board. i'm sick of waiting on the phone 40 minutes at a time to hear, 'it's still backordered'. going to try swapping in new thermistors to fix my recent freezing issue and buying some more time.

ih8dometic!

Yeah, Ige, I got both the main & display boards just days after ordering. I have to admit, I was shocked they arrived so fast. I only installed the main pcb and that fixed my issues. I now have a spare display pcb, but was glad I didn't have to wrangle it in there. After looking at it closer, you would have to fish that large ribbon wire down through the insulation and behind the cabinet wall.

Did you dial the local number (574-294-2511) or the hotline for Dometic's parts department, 1-800-544-4811?

Best of luck.

I've had to replace my display PCB before and it wasn't a problem. I cut the PCB off, split and tied the ribbon wire to the new PCB connector and just pulled it through.

Last edited:
After pricing new ARBs and Engels I'm now back in the mode of "one last try". Ordered a new thermistor from way-cold.com and will see if that helps. Next step may be to bypass the controls altogether and try one of these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom