aftermarket vs. OEM (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, how big of an offense is it to put aftermarket parts on the 40 when there are actually OEM parts still available (full disclosure, I have one of the 4 last OEM mufflers sitting in my garage to be installed shortly...have to get someone to bend me an exhaust pipe since they don't make the OEM ones any longer. Here are some of the parts I'm thinking of.
1. Bumperettes....CCOT's are thicker steel and powder coated...and $20 cheaper
2. Weather stripping for ambi doors - $60 cheaper for the aftrmkt
3. Tie downs...thinking of just getting some new stainless or black for now, keeping the originals to clean up at a later date maybe
4. antenna is $50 cheaper for the aftermarket..
5. Bezel...my original is messed up...plan to fix it down the road...but that's a long road. CCOT is powder coated the correct color.

Am I tempting the wrath of the 40 gods by even thinking of using aftermarket parts...its just I can see the oem route adding up quickly (I think I could have put in a full exhaust system for the cost of the OEM muffler). Input as always is welcome.

Depends on the condition of the cruiser.

Mine is so modified and un original it is a waste.

If the cruiser is 99.9% original and in great shape, I think you owe it to the cruiser to keep it that way.

1 aftmkt
2 OEM
3 aftmkt
4 aftmkt
5 OEM or donor

Many threads here on weatherstripping and crappy aftmkt junk. Bezels are easy to come by on the market providing you are not looking for on off a 63 (stamped).

Good question. I could be (and probably will be throughout my resto) of 2 minds here. This isn't a rare muscle car code like ZL1 or something that will be scrutinized at an auction years from now. I just want a fun and functional rig, as preserved as possible, but useable. Vintage is cool, though. I plan on keeping things like badges original (not new of any kind), because they are cool, patina included.

Weather stripping - IMHO stick with OEM if you can find or afford it. The proof is in the pudding. Original Toyota weather stripping is KNOWN to last 30 to 40 years. Aftermarket, who knows. The other stuff, just depends on what works for you, because no one else will probably know.

Thanks to all on the feedback. Helps a lot. :cheers:

Something I have always wondered- are the bumperettes meant to have a spring to them? Will they spring back if tapped, to a certain degree, in other words? I saw the CCOT version and wonder if a heavier gauge might lose any built-in resilience, if that's true. Just curious if anybody has any experience along these lines.

personally, if oem is available i will always go with that. but as reddingcruiser said, only you will most likely know. i figure that the oem stuff on mine lasted 34 years, why not go that route again. before you pay inflated prices, check with cdan first. he gave me a great deal on all the weatherstripping for the whole vehicle.

and part of finding the oem stuff is the joy of the hunt for me. i am always scouring ebay, classifieds here and other places. just the other day i was able to get two teq original ambi door window with seal in great shape. all for the whopping cost of $2 plus shipping. excellent condition, minimal to zero scratches. they look new. do i need them now? no. but if i should ever do something stupid and one breaks, i have an original replacement.

now that i gave up my secret, time to go hunt some more before others get there first.

andy

I look at it this way. As much as I would love to keep Big Blue all purebred I have to look at costs. For me, I just love the look of FJ40, period. Whether stock or aft mkt, does not matter. Just ride and enjoy the love that is the FJ40

If I could afford OEM Yes I would go that route. But right now when my current 40 is so BAS*****ized and Frankensteined and torn apart like mine is , I just want to get my parts from the vendors who have the best products that I need for optimal cost. Believe me when I say I have bought from vendors from coast to coast, and I'm still working on the frame. I have IPOR 60s Power Steering to Hadley Industries frame crossmembers and frame components from Vic.(beefy steel by the way). So all that stuff will go unnoticed to the untrained eye. Now when I get to the body I will make my choices more selectively and try adhere to the 40 code of honor.(within reason). My objective is to get her on the road.Just do the best you can and and make it safe.

Something I have always wondered- are the bumperettes meant to have a spring to them? Will they spring back if tapped, to a certain degree, in other words? I saw the CCOT version and wonder if a heavier gauge might lose any built-in resilience, if that's true. Just curious if anybody has any experience along these lines.

No. They were never designed to have any spring in them.

If you deform the original ones (even just a little) they'll stay that way till you straighten them (with a sledgehammer, press or whatever).

:beer:

Well! Good to know. Appreciate the knowledge.

I have original weather stripping on all my doors except the drivers side. Had to replace it. Used one from CCOT. It doesn't quite match the OEM. It also doesn't last. The OEM is more expensive.... but you only have to buy it once!

for the engine, i will never put aftermarket gaskets in again...did it and blew the head gasket. did it again, blew the headgasket again. friends dad did it and blew the head gasket. he put oem in next and no blown head gaskets. been 10 years now. the blown headgaskets all happened within 6-8 months after putting fel pro in.

for cosmetic stuff, i have no issues with putting aftermarket on. ccot may have crappy weatherstrip, but they're not the only game in town. in denver, i have a local weatherstrip store that i get all my stuff from. check your yellow pages and go down with a sample

In a weak moment, I purchased a Napa Krapa starter for my 77 because it was Sunday and I wanted to finally, fire it up. That was a little over a year ago. Today, with 2.6 test miles driven around the industrial park, I had to make it down to Toyota and buy a re-manufactured Toyota starter. The Napa starter got really, really hot from the beginning. The $90.00 price wasn't worth it. Almost every other part is OEM.

The aftermarket bezels are stamped This Side Up, and that provides a bit of value.

I insist on OEM for my 40. Of course, it's a '77, which was the only year that GM and Toyota got together to offer a V8 option, so YMMV. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom