1FZ to a H55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I originally posted this in the 60 section, but didn't recieve any help, so I'll try here.

I've been trying to decide what I should do with my FJ60; engine wise... Keep the 2F and convert it into a 2FE, go with a 2UV or try out a 1FZ. (I don't really want a chevy engine) I would like to keep it a manual with a part time transfer case and while fuel economy is what I'm going to say i'm looking for, I secretly desire power just as much as the next person, but I have no need for anything above say 400-500hp. I also am trying to keep expenses down.

Lately I have been researching into the possibility of a 1FZ-FE engine, but there is the problem of sourcing a H150 (151) Tranny and the almost non-existant H1FA transfer case, however, some of my digging in the forums has led me to another possibility...

Looking through the threads I've ran into:

The 1HZ engine used in Prado's was mated to the H55f transmission, the Bellhousing for this (Part#31111-60230) will also fit a 1FZ-FE engine. (I don't know if that is fact, thats what was stated)

Then it gets a little murky:

A 300mm Isuzu Clutch (Part#8-97389910-0) can be used.

The fork assembly, release bearing assembly and release cylinder from the 1HZ/H55f setup has to be used but the pressure plate and flywheel would have to come off of a 1HDT.

A longer 21 spline input shaft is needed.

Or: The fj60 clutch can be kept, if the spigot bearing is removed from the crankshaft and a bushing is machined to make up the difference in length then fit a new spigot bearing in the end of the bushing.

Most of the ideas I found about mating a 1FZ to a H55 have been in the Diesel Tech area.

I was wondering if anyone has been thinking about how to do this conversion that may have come up with something, what way to deal with the clutch, and the different lengths of the input shafts (and possibly different number of splines) or if there is something that makes this totally impossible. Thanks for the input.

This would make an interesting:hmm: combo in a 60 series. Bu, you may want to switch from a spigot bearing to a pilot bearing.:whoops: Good Luck. John

Ah, thanks. The spigot bearing was just what was typed on the other thread...

I'm mainly compiling what I have read on various threads here to try to piece what people have written into a possibility of a plan... So I can get some input from others who have tossed the idea around... mainly, what would work for the clutch and such. The input shaft is what I have the most questions about. I am an engineer, but I'm not a seasoned mechanic.

here is an 1HZ-T ( aftermarket turbo ) with an stock ( 60 series ) H55F behind using the bellhousing you post part number above ..

IMG-20120128-00336.jpg

since the deal here is the H55F input shaft .. since this bellhousing it's designed to work with the medium length Input .. 200mm vs the 2H / 2F - H55F Input which is 180mm ..

If you source and swap the right input you are good to with with the 275mm pressure plate and disc 21 splines from the H55F input used in the 70 series or 80 series with 1HZ engine and 21 splines ..

What about getting a 4.0 V6 with the 6 speed manual out of a Tacoma?
I always thought that would be a sweet setup in a 40.
More horsepower than the 1FZ as well.
I think Inchwork makes and adapter from the 6 speed manual to a mini truck t-case half and then you could get an adapter from the minitruck t-case to the split case.

What about getting a 4.0 V6 with the 6 speed manual out of a Tacoma?
I always thought that would be a sweet setup in a 40.
More horsepower than the 1FZ as well.
I think Inchwork makes and adapter from the 6 speed manual to a mini truck t-case half and then you could get an adapter from the minitruck t-case to the split case.

That sounds like it would be under-powered in a heavy wagon.

That sounds like it would be under-powered in a heavy wagon.

How so?

1GR-FE 236 hp at 5200 rpm with 266 lb·ft of torque at 4000 rpm
1FZ-FE 190 horsepower at 4400 RPM and 268 pound-feet at 2800 RPM

The 1FZ makes power lower down in the RPM range, but that shouldn't be a problem for the 1GR-FE if the diffs are geared appropriately.

Either way, its more power than a 2F.

--Tapage, I'm glad you chimed in, a lot of what I found on this subject is from other posts that you had written. You seem to have the best grasp on how this setup could be done...:grinpimp:

Let me know if I understand this right, from your post I need to find a 200mm long input shaft to use the 300mm Isuzu clutch (how many splines?) or I can use a 21 spline input shaft from a 1HZ and be able to keep my clutch from my FJ60 (but have to change out the Fork, release bearing, release cylinder pressure plate and flywheel)?

--Tigerstripe, I think putting a v6 into an old land cruiser would be a huge headache, leaving the person wishing they had done all that effort for a v8 instead. (although you can easily get a TRD supercharger for the v6 but not the 4.7 v8)

just personal preferance wise, I like inline 6's a lot... they may not have the displacement like a v8, but because of how they're set up they run a lot more effecient and can scrounge a lot more torque, it's too bad straight 8's are just too long. I think there's a reason all those old ford farm trucks, jeeps and tractors ran straight 6's (or 4's). (and european sports cars and Toyota's I guess)

that being said, If I absolutely had to blow the doors off of every car I met there would be no substitute for a v8 (unless you got a farrari v12 skulking about) :ban:

--Tapage, I'm glad you chimed in, a lot of what I found on this subject is from other posts that you had written. You seem to have the best grasp on how this setup could be done...:grinpimp:

Let me know if I understand this right, from your post I need to find a 200mm long input shaft to use the 300mm Isuzu clutch (how many splines?) or I can use a 21 spline input shaft from a 1HZ and be able to keep my clutch from my FJ60 (but have to change out the Fork, release bearing, release cylinder pressure plate and flywheel)?

--Tigerstripe, I think putting a v6 into an old land cruiser would be a huge headache, leaving the person wishing they had done all that effort for a v8 instead. (although you can easily get a TRD supercharger for the v6 but not the 4.7 v8)

just personal preferance wise, I like inline 6's a lot... they may not have the displacement like a v8, but because of how they're set up they run a lot more effecient and can scrounge a lot more torque, it's too bad straight 8's are just too long. I think there's a reason all those old ford farm trucks, jeeps and tractors ran straight 6's (or 4's). (and european sports cars and Toyota's I guess)

that being said, If I absolutely had to blow the doors off of every car I met there would be no substitute for a v8 (unless you got a farrari v12 skulking about) :ban:

I love straight 6's myself and wanted to put a 1FZ w/ h55 into my FJ40 years ago and started doing research. I called Specter and spoke directly to Marv about this. Apparently, there was a FZJ-7x that was sold in the Middle East and in South America that had the correct bell housing to use with an H55. I think that this would be the best option. If you can find one. After looking into what it would take to collect all of the necessary parts, cost was simply in the stratosphere so I stopped researching it and decided to live with my 2F.

The main reason I brought up the 1GR is because you said you didn't want a small block chevy, which I can appreciate and understand, however, there aren't many options for a Toyota motor with a manual transmission especially powerful enough to push a heavy wagon. I am pretty sure that the 1GR will push an FJ60. It pushes my quad cab taco (5500 lbs GVW in case you're wondering) very nicely.

My concern with getting the 200mm input shaft, 1HZ bellhousing, and isuzu clutch is that the parts are kludged together. While this is probably just fine, my concern would be finding parts several years down the road. With the domestically available parts that you can find with a 1GR, 2UZ etc. I don't think that would be an issue.

The 2UZ V8 is an interesting option. There is a bellhousing available to adapt that motor to a R150f manual transmission out of a v6 4Runner that is made in Australia. Electronics will be a bit more difficult, though, as the 2UZ was only offered with an automatic and I believe that the motor ecu also controls the transmission. So you have to figure out a way to tell the computer what it needs so that it doesn't think the transmission has gone bad.

In the end, if you want power and a manual transmission, a small block chevy with either an H55 or an NV4500 will be about the most cost effective and easiest solution.

Otherwise, I'd definitely look into the 2UZ with the A340 auto.

anyhow, this is my opinion based on research that I have done.
I hope this helps.
If you decide to do the 1FZ w/ manual transmission I will be VERY interested in watching the build thread.

1. 200mm Input it's the only one that would work with previously mention bell housing and H55F. To make this more clear, that was the combo that was fitted in many of our HZJ70 that came from factory with 1HZ and H55F .. assuming that we are right and 31111-60230 will bolt right on the back of 1FZ-FE coz that was the bellhosuing used in all those 70 series down here .. ( and many other parts of the world )

2. Those HZJ70 with 1HZ and H55F tranny came with 275mm clutch and was 21 splines ..

3. I use an Isuzu clutch in my tranny swap coz I was looking to use the best of both trannys ( in my case H150 and H151 ) 300 mm clutch and 21 splines on the input shaft .. and you willneed to use something like that if you wan't to run 300 mm clutch.

4. You should be able to keep in all cases H55F slave and fork ..

Sorry for my tardiness in replying again, and definately thanks for the input :).

I think eventually part sourcing may be a problem to contend with especially since it's a miss-mash of different years and models of Toyota, but hopefully that wont become a problem after I'm dead and someone else can worry about it.

2UZ would be a hellafied monster in a 60, especially with how it can be built up like on the Lextreme site, but the costs of the 2UZ is just too high, the plain jane stroker kit is $7k, the delux is $14k... While I'm sure swapping in the 1FZ is probably in the end going to cost more then expected, I think it would still be a lot less then dealing with trying to cram Godzilla under the hood.

Now the collection of parts will begin, I think I'm gonna try to find a decent 94-95ish fj80 on the salvage auctions, that will provide me with all the basics to start with (and hopefully a set of elockers) While my 60 is running good, and is in fairly decent shape I'd like to strip it all down so that it looks neatly done in the end (I also have a few paint bubble areas that have to be taken care of before they become full blown rust)

Thanks again for the input

I don't know the gearbox names, but we got plenty of 80 and 105 series out here with 1fz's and manual trans/part time transfer cases... probably easier just to source one of those?

H151 ( tranny that officially came behind 1FZ-FE ) it's not as " good " as H55F is .. ( IMOP and I have both trannys in my Cruisers )

I have heard the opposite too Tapage. One of my friends went from H55f to h151 because all his h55f's kept breaking.

I have heard the opposite too Tapage. One of my friends went from H55f to h151 because all his h55f's kept breaking.

I never broke any of both .. but my H55F seems to be holding better after 25 years .. and shifts smoothly compared to my H150 and H151 ..

But I believe it's just a matter of experiences ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom